NVME Gen3 vs Gen4

Associate
Hi.

I am looking to get a drive that is solely for Windows and applications to replace my 256gb SSD in a new build.

Price wise my choice seems to be 500gb Gen4 or 1TB Gen3.

For windows install and applications (not games as I have another 2tb gen3 nvme for those) what is the best option?

I know gen 4 is faster but would it be utilized or should I just get the larger capacity?

Cheers

Soldato
I have never noticed any speed difference between SSD`s of any kind.

Its super fast VS super fast.

Only difference i seen was HDD to SSD switch.

Soldato
So I should either just get an SSD or M.2 NVMe Gen3 for windows applications and either save money or get a larger capacity.
It depends on what you are doing. For me the main difference is the write speed. Read speeds are already so fast it doesnt really matter and I didn't noticed extra read speed. But I did notice extra write speed. After a NVMe™ M.2 I would never go back to a standard SATA SSD as they are just to slow. But it really depends what you do if its just browsing the web, emails and a bit of writing then there is no benefit. Gaming, photo or video editing can benefit.

Associate
OP
It depends on what you are doing. For me the main difference is the write speed. Read speeds are already so fast it doesnt really matter and I didn't noticed extra read speed. But I did notice extra write speed. After a NVMe™ M.2 I would never go back to a standard SATA SSD as they are just to slow. But it really depends what you do if its just browsing the web, emails and a bit of writing then there is no benefit. Gaming, photo or video editing can benefit.
Cant see me writing a lot of data after programs are installed. Its going to primary just be a home and gaming PC.. no editing or anything like that.

So guess Gen 4 is wasted on me at the moment and the whole NVME v SSD only matter for the OS and APPS side on things as gaming there is no change really.

Ill work around what I have compared to what I need and fill in the pieces now..

Cheers

Soldato
I have never noticed any speed difference between SSD`s of any kind.

Its super fast VS super fast.

Only difference i seen was HDD to SSD switch.
Yeah same here. It was actually quite disappointing when i got my first Samsung Evo m.2. Ancient 60GB OCZ ssd seemed just as quick.

Soldato
Cant see me writing a lot of data after programs are installed. Its going to primary just be a home and gaming PC.. no editing or anything like that.

So guess Gen 4 is wasted on me at the moment and the whole NVME v SSD only matter for the OS and APPS side on things as gaming there is no change really.

Ill work around what I have compared to what I need and fill in the pieces now..

Cheers
Not sure I agree that it only matters for OS and Apps. There is a difference with games though it depends on the game some games load around 4 seconds faster with a NVME while others have no difference at all. What I found made the difference for games was the write speed. No more little pauses when I save or auto save with a NVME over a SSD. Quick save is faster and when you run down a corridor there is no pause as it saves. Well it varies game to game. Overall a NVME gives a smoother faster expreince. Something like Microsoft Flight Simulator will have a far bigger benefit while something like Toom Raider will have no real difference. When I play Stellaris I used to get little pauses when the SSD writes for the autosave. Those have completely vanished with the NVME giving a smoother expreince, I don't even notice the auto save anymore in that game. It all comes down to what games you play and how/if you muti task with a 2nd screen.

Associate
OP
Appreciate all the help cheers..

For me think ill just pick up a 1TB Gen 3 for OS/Apps.. Use my 2TB Gen 3 for Games and possibly pick up a 1TB SSD for storage to replace the 2TB HDD I currently use.. but this last is exactly "needed".

My friends PC I am also doing already has a 1TB SSD so if he only wants 1TB for gaming I will tell him to use that and but a Gen 3 for OS Apps too.. if he wants 2TB gaming then I guess he should still pick up a 2TB Gen 3 or SSD as the gaming diff between SSD/Gen3 wasn't big at all.

Cheers again :)

Back
Top Bottom