NVMe M.2 and the Gigabyte Z77X-D3H

Associate
I recently asked for some advice on my pc build in the relative part of the forum and the consensus was that I should consider keeping my current system and beefing up my CPU. This lead me on a path to seek out performance upgrades for my hard drives as well and whilst shopping for SATA SSD drives from the likes of Samsung I found the NVMe drives.

This is virgin territory for me so I started some investigation into them but I'm still a little fuzzy on what I can actually achieve and I think that my motherboard might be a little too old to deal with this sort of thing. I run a Gigabye Z77X-D3H which I bought from Overclockers in 2012 I think it was, it would be nice to have one of these rather quick NVMe drives in my machine. I don't believe the board has an m.2 slot but I've seen some PCI-E adapter cards that can be purchased.

A quick google on the internet has revealed some people running into issues especially when attempting to boot from an NVMe drive on older hardware and the suggestion has been to modify your bios or upgrade your hardware. I wanted to put the question out there and see what I could find out from people who know a lot more about it than I do.

Would this NVMe PCI-E Adapter setup work for me?

Back
Top Bottom