NYC Hotels

Don
Hello,

I'm taking the wife to NYC for her 30th next month, I'm looking for hotels, I don't really want to exceed around £100 p/n unless it's a really, really good deal.

I had a search on OCUK and there were some extremely nice hotels recommended but almost £200 p/n which is a bit much! Not fussed on the location really as we like to walk around. I'd like a decent view if possibly though!

Cheers

Don
OP
Well, Marriott's Essex House which overlooks Central Park is where we stayed last time and their prices just exceed the budget so I'd be looking around that area. I've found some that my budget stretches too and although they look nice on the website I'd like a review from someone who has stayed there.

I don't want to spend that much so we have more spending money and the fact we will be hardly in the place other than sleeping anyway!

Don
OP
I thought I'd update this for anyone searching for NYC info in the future.

Flight wise, cheapest for us was a four hour drive to Heathrow and then hopping on United over to NYC, going out it had a new, touch screen entertainment set to view films, tv shows and play multiplayer games (played poker vs the wife for a couple of hours!) coming back was the tired old system with tiny screens and unpasuable films.

Flew into Newark and got the air train to Penn station, way cheaper than a cab. Walked from Penn to the hotel.

We stayed at the Roosevelt Hotel, it gets a mixed bag of reviews but four nights at £335 was good considering the location. It was in the middle of everything so ideal for those wanting to stay in Manhatten. The lobby looks brilliant, the staff were friendly, the room was large and clean enough, nothing on previous rooms we've had in America but certainly a lot better than we anticipated.
The mad46 rooftop bar was closed for the season and I was actually looking forward to having a drink there so annoying the website listed nothing about that.

We visited the Skylark that someone mentioned in previous threads, really swanky bar with fantastic views of the Empire State. Expensive drinks galore...!
Keens steakhouse, we had visited this restaurant before and it didn't disappoint a second time. You have to have the chateaubriand, it is simple divine! Amazing place.

We walked to Wall Street on the Friday 22nd, it was bitterly cold and a right trek but we always try walking rather than cabs to take in the sights, we went up the Freedom Tower, the lift was the highlight! I was a bit disappointed once up there, the glass separators aren't ideal for decent pictures but it was a nice experience to do it, last time we were in NYC it was only about 10% built.
We did the 9/11 museum, was really interesting actually and I think we were in there two hours, it was really well done, a very morbid atmosphere in there.
We walked around the finance district and got some lunch and walked back, did the cinema that night and both of us fella asleep, lol. That's when the snow started...

Saturday 23rd, woke up to a lot of snow! Plan that day was to walk to the Central Park zoo, through the park and onto the national history museum, on to Macy's then Broadway show; Misery.
We had warm clothes but not footwear for snow but went out anyway, Central Park was completely covered and we were walking in a blizzard not having a clue where we were! The zoo was shut due to snow, we walked on which seemed like miles to the museum, got in there, spent half an hour looking around before getting ushered out as they were closing. Everyone got an emergency text to say all cars need to be off the road by 2:30pm!
On our way we went to the shops, again they were all closing/closed so we walked back to the hotel, Sarah's hair was frozen it was that bad!
We got an email saying the Broadway show was cancelled but could rebook for the following day which I did. We contemplated room service for tea but decided we wanted to get out and see what was open, found an Irish bar and spent a horrid amount on food and alcohol!

The last say, Sunday the roads had been cleared of snow, just slush remained, the pavements were still covered in about a foot of snow and crossing the road was a nightmare! We did get our shopping done though, went up the Rockefeller and got some great pics with the snow, Broadway show at 3pm, Misery was amazing, 3 seats away from big Brucey Willis. Went to the shake shack for lunch and pottered about in Macy's for three hours and my wife spent a small fortune.

That's it. Great experience, again! Wrote this on the iPad which wasn't the best idea.

Don
OP
What was the dress code for Skylark? Were you suited and booted - I did tweet them before Christmas to ask but they didn't get back to me. I'm hoping Mad46 is open by the time we go out there but it'll only be the end of Feb? Did they mention when they were going to open it?

I can't wait to go now after reading your post! I'm glad the hotel was ok too :D

I wore a jacket and shirt, no tie and black jeans. I think you'd get away without a jacket.
I think it will still be closed in Feb, presumably when it gets warmer again it will re-open, bit of a shame although we never had time to visit it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom