NYC Hotels

Don
Hello,

I'm taking the wife to NYC for her 30th next month, I'm looking for hotels, I don't really want to exceed around £100 p/n unless it's a really, really good deal.

I had a search on OCUK and there were some extremely nice hotels recommended but almost £200 p/n which is a bit much! Not fussed on the location really as we like to walk around. I'd like a decent view if possibly though!

Cheers

Don
OP
Well, Marriott's Essex House which overlooks Central Park is where we stayed last time and their prices just exceed the budget so I'd be looking around that area. I've found some that my budget stretches too and although they look nice on the website I'd like a review from someone who has stayed there.

I don't want to spend that much so we have more spending money and the fact we will be hardly in the place other than sleeping anyway!

Soldato
Try using Priceline or Hotwire (Hotwire is own and run by the same people as Expedia) these are both similar sites, and will offer much better prices as they have a service whereby you buy kind of blind.

I say kind of, since there is plenty of detail that lets you narrow down your desired location and star rating etc.. If you check out the area, and the hotels they offer in that specific parts and compare the listed amenities you can figure out 90% of the blind offers.

We paid $103 per night in June for 6 nights in Park Central hotel, which is in a great area, albeit not a service orientated hotel. The room was nice and the facilities in the room were above average for that sort of price.

EDIT: Have you already you booked the flights?

Man of Honour
This is about what I like to spend and not wanting to stay a downmarket place I opt for a conveniently located decent hotel in New Jersey instead. Once you realise that even if you stay in Manhattan you are going to end up on the subway etc to get where you want to get an extra bit of time on the PATH or whatever is no hardship.

Best find last time was Park and Ride - 6 dollars each inc parking for the car (or something like that), 10 minute bus ride directly into Port Authority Bus Terminal which is a block or two from Times Square. Very convenient.

Associate
We stayed at the Marriott East Side in June for a few days. It was quite cheap but my girlfriend is a Marriott associate so yeah. However, looking now their cheapest room from 30th Jan is $143 per night. The next one up is $188, but after that you're looking at $300+.

Was a nice hotel and we had a large, spacious room. The view wasn't terrific, but it's in a great location (and honestly, if you're at the hotel long enough to care that much about the view you're on the wrong holiday).

Soldato
Ameritania at Times Square.

You should get 2 nights for a little over £200 in Jan. We stayed there in August for 3 nights and it was perfect for what we needed - with two kids who loved it also. View wasn't particularly good, just skyscrapers everywhere - but it was 5 mins to Times Square walking and even less to Central Park. We basically walked our feet off around New York every day and came home around 9pm to sleep.

And as was said above - if you're going to New York for the view, you are going to the wrong place. There's way to many things to see in the city to waste time in a Hotel.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I love the view of NYC, best skyline there is :p

I want a view of skyscrapers, that's the idea! I just don't want a view of a wall.

Unless you are staying at the top of one of the tallest skyscrapers (So not £100 a night then!) you are not going to get a view of the skyline from your hotel room - because you are in that skyline and the view from within it is... walls of tall buildings!

If you want to see the NYC skyline from your window, get a hotel on the shore in New Jersey and request a Manhattan facing room.

You are not getting a view of the NYC Skyline from within Manhattan for under £100 a night.

Permabanned
i stayed here
coming in at just under £100 a night, great location.

https://www.expedia.co.uk/New-York-...56463&c=34a07002-5807-4be3-852c-5ffd650a70f0&

my view
14c87iw.jpg

Back
Top Bottom