NZXT S340 Elite tower cooler & intake fan recommendations

Hello,

My pertinent system specs are:

NZXT S340 Elite
Asus Maximus Code IX
Intel i7-7700K
G-Skill Trident Z RGB (2x8GB)
Asus ROG something or other 1070

Had a NZXT Kraken X62 v1 for cooling, up until yesterday when the pump decided to give up. Was the first AIO I had bought..and probably the last. Hence looking for a suitable Air cooler recommendation which has adequate clearance for my components and fits within the case.

Was going to go for the Noctua DH15 or something similiar, but believe its space may be tight?

My brother's got an Cryorig H7 for his i5-8600 in the same case, seems to perform well, so that may be an option?

In addition to the air cooler, I'll probably need to get an intake fan, as I had my kraken 280 radiator at the front - whats the recommendation -> 1x 140mm Noctua fan or worth getting 2 for front intake?

Currently have the stock NZXT fans that came with the case in their default exhaust locations (rear and top).

Thanks

Soldato
With your case only having 161mm CPU clearance and your RAM being 44mm tall you need a cooler a cooler with 120mm fan or one that is set back so 140mm fan can fit between RAM and CPU.
I wouldn't even consider NH-D15, maybe NH-D15S if middle fan can be lowered to be flush with top of heatpipes. I know D15 middle fan can, but I dont' know if D15S can.

H7 is good if you are not going to overclock. Others to consider are PH-TC14PE for £52.99, but they are out of stock, :(
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phanteks-ph-tc14pe-cpu-cooler-black-hs-009-pt.html

Matterhorn Pure is good and only £33.95, but also out of stock. :o
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-matterhorn-pure-edition-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-037-al.html

Scythe Mugen SCMG-5100 is good for £42.95 but it's also out of stock. :rolleyes:

Cryorig H5 is good and H5 Universal is in stock for £44.99. Ultimate is in stock too, but fan will not fit behind RAM
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cryo...ink-with-140mm-fan-white-frame-hs-006-cy.html

I would use 2x PH-F140MP fans as front intakes and remove all PCIe back slot covers to increase rear vent area and thus better front to back airflow and lower component temps. OcUK is out of the 2-pack for £16.26 and single fan is £13.99. Maybe try and get OcUK to discount the price sense they are out of the 2-packs right now.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for your response. I had already ordered the Cryorig H5 Ultimate yesterday, having believed that it shouldn't present clearance issues in the S340 Elite (may block first RAM slot, which I am not using, or plan to use) based on some Youtube videos/reviews. If there are issues with the fan on the cooler, is it something that can be rectified by 'moving the fan higher' on the cooler?

I note that those phantec fans that you have linked are designed for static pressure - might be a stupid question, I've been out of the PC hardware stuff for over 10 years, but shouldn't I use an airflow fan? Or is this due to the limited geometry of the front intake on the S340 Elite?

Soldato
Like I said, your case does not have enough CPU clearance to fit a 140mm fan over RAM, but with empty RAM socket you should have room for fan between RAM and cooler front. T

We need fans with relatively high static pressure rating to overcome the resistance of grill and fiiter. The Phanteks PH-F140MP are ideal case fans because with their higher pressure rating they can still move a nice amount of air even at half or lower speed where their pressure rating is about half of spec.

Back
Top Bottom