o/c problem

Associate
lo :)

just done a bit of an upgrade.system is as follows:_venice 3200,dfi expert(latest bios)7950 gfx,2gb gskill zx

problem is cant seem to get past 2.2 ghz when o/cing?

b4 i bought this ram,gfx card i could o/c my chip to 2.8 easily(using my old 1gb kit and the original dfi bios that came with the board)

had the ram bout a couple of months,bi fine no probs(all at stock 2ghz chip speeds and ram timings as normal 2,3,2,5)

just got me gfx card in a week ago,flashed the bios to latest one on dfi site,and again everythin has been fine this wek no probs(again still all at stock)

just fitted w/c this w/end and thought i'd try to o/c my system(first time i've o/c'd since gettin this memory)

everythin goes fine goin up in 10mhz increases,until i try 2.3 o/c,then pc wont boot(gets to the screen b4 the blue loading windows bar,hangs and resets itself)

i've tried everythin from loosen mem timings to droping multi to x9 and gettin to 2.3 ghz that way,but still no joy just resets.

have tried to run memtest at 2.3,but it didnt get to the screen b4 it reset itself

would it be advisable to run memtest at 2.0 or 2.2 when i can know i can boot to windows at those speeds to check the memory or could it be something else?

sorry for the long explanation,but any help much appreiciated :)

Soldato
Is the RAM on a divider? If it is at 1:1 it might not like going much over 200MHz. I know my RAM throws a wobbly at 220MHz even with loads of vDIMM.

Go into the RAM settings and knock the divider to something like 2/03 [133]. This will take the RAM out the picture while trying to find how high you can push your chip.

Once you have found that max, you need to find your memory's max speed. Drop the multi on your CPU to take it below stock speed to take it out the picture... now you can start upping the reference clock a bit at a time and doing a good 20-30 minute memtest on the RAM. I found test 5 is a good one for finding errors. Now when you have found its maximum speed you may find that the RAMs frequency is lower than the reference clock you used to get your max CPU overclock. This is where dividers come in for your RAM.

Dividers are there so you can run your RAM asynchronously. Basically you can run your RAM at a fraction of the reference clock. Which fraction/divider you use depends on how far you can push your RAMs frequency. Its also worth exploring different combinations of reference clock and CPU multis too to get the best reference clock speed for your RAM using dividers.

I used this guide at short media to OC my 4400+ this weekend. Apart from a school boy error on my part the guide worked perfectly getting a nice 2.6GHz OC :D http://www.short-media.com/review.php?p=28&r=300

It is quite thorough but if you are familiar with OCing you can skip chunks of it.

SiriusB

Last edited:
Associate
OP
cheers for the reply siriusb :)

in the past i've had my chip running at 2.8 fine,its just since i've put this new mem in that o/cing has become hard

i've tried using a divider (180) and knockin the multi down but still no joy

i've just tried it with a set of corsair value select 2gb kit which i borrowed off my friends server and i managed to boot into windows at 2.3 with this memory running at 3,4,4,[email protected] is something i couldnt manage at with my g skill zx kit,so could this mean i've got a dodgy set of memory?

Soldato
It might not be dodgy, it just might not like being pushed. I am trying to get my 4400+ stable at 2.6GHz. Shortly after my first reply I discovered a core failed Prime95 :(

My memory seems to be the culprit so its gonna be a mission finding out lol :D

Have you tried upping the vDIMM at all? From what I have read the vast majority of decent memory can safely take 2.8v. This, however is up to you and I take no responsibility if something goes FZZZTBANG lol :D

If you're concerned about your RAM, set everything back to stock and memtest the bejesus out of it for a few hours. Test 5 is my favourite as I tend to get most errors within 10 passes. If it passes - as it should - then it may, as i have already said, just be arsey RAM lol.

Back
Top Bottom