OBD2 scanners (Carly?)

Underboss
Hi

I don't yet own a OBD2 scanner but read about them on here etc

I saw an article today about this scanner called Carly

which peaked my interest (the buying car part)

anyone got one? are these as good as the cheapy ones ?

tempted to get one whist they are on offer, but not sure..

never needed one in the past really , but electronics are getting more and more involved this days

my current car (15 years old) has never had any warning lights come on, but i will replacing it by the end of the year if all goes to plan..

Don
Basically there are 2 different types of OBD2 reader, those that can only read Generic codes and then those that can do dealer level manufacturer specific. Manufacturer specific normally allow you to scan all connected modules rather than just the ECU

Torque for android and a eBay Bluetooth dongle will do generic codes.

For manufacturer specific you usually need a specific adapter and appropriate software
E.g. Ford/mazda - Forscan, VW/Audi/Skoda/seat - vagcom, BMW/mini - bimmer-tech

Carly is somewhere between, it's a generic reader but with some of the manufacturer specific stuff (hence why it asks for what vehicle). In most cases though it won't do actual coding or adaptions.

Associate
Funny enough I found out about these things yesterday through a youtube ad.
Upon looking at their site, lots of tools but a lot of manufacturers on there not able to use their full app and features.

Soldato
Basically there are 2 different types of OBD2 reader, those that can only read Generic codes and then those that can do dealer level manufacturer specific. Manufacturer specific normally allow you to scan all connected modules rather than just the ECU

Torque for android and a eBay Bluetooth dongle will do generic codes.

For manufacturer specific you usually need a specific adapter and appropriate software
E.g. Ford/mazda - Forscan, VW/Audi/Skoda/seat - vagcom, BMW/mini - bimmer-tech

Carly is somewhere between, it's a generic reader but with some of the manufacturer specific stuff (hence why it asks for what vehicle). In most cases though it won't do actual coding or adaptions.

This, if you're after something a bit more advanced I'd pay just a little more than what these cost.

This is basically just fancy marketing.

Underboss
OP
Nice ! Saves me 100 quid or whatever these cost!

So can you recommend a decent one? I don't have a laptop (the one I have is windows 98 its that old!)

I do have a tablet though

Thank you for all the help

Last edited:
Soldato
If your not fixing the car yourself I wouldn't bother with anything fancy. The cheap ones will do the job for, just knowing what's wrong.

Like my bwm has a light on, plugged my cheap eBay dongle in and found out it's the EGR value. I'm not going to fix it but at least I know it's not a major problem and I don't have to pay someone to diagnose it. I'll just get them to do the job.

Underboss
OP
If your not fixing the car yourself I wouldn't bother with anything fancy. The cheap ones will do the job for, just knowing what's wrong.

Like my bwm has a light on, plugged my cheap eBay dongle in and found out it's the EGR value. I'm not going to fix it but at least I know it's not a major problem and I don't have to pay someone to diagnose it. I'll just get them to do the job.

That's what I want really, also like to be able to change more settings if I want to

Soldato
That's what I want really, also like to be able to change more settings if I want to

The settings part is really where the more expensive ones come into play. If you want to just read fault codes then a cheapy one with torque would suffice. If you want to enable some hidden settings then you need the more specific ones that Armageus mentioned.

Don
Soldato
I use a cheap ELM327 Bluetooth adapter with Torque app on my phone for general codes.

Also have an Autel DiagLink for more advanced module troubleshooting and sorting. It was £90 and comes with 1 free manufacturer licence. You can buy other ones for 10 dollars as and when you need them so it works out better value than one with all the brands, unless you change brands a lot.

Soldato
Depends what car you gonna get.

For example Volvo/SAAB really lock that **** down and a generic scanner won't do anything, so you have to buy a specific (expensive) one.

I'd worry about what car first, then once you know which car then Google/research which one is best for that car.

Caporegime
looks like i will be getting a mazda 3 2017/2018 model if that helps ?

i did search online but not found anything for the UK petrol skyactive engine

Forscan will work for that generation of Mazda 3, just not the very latest one, so you'll be fine.

I use it on my NC MX-5 no issues. Pulls up all the modules.

Last edited:
Associate
i think ive found the best one

App called "Car Scanner ELM OBD2" which is free, pay 5 quid to unlock it to PRO version

and use the dongle "VeePeak"

I had carly for my bmw, it's kind of like a safe coding app that won't do anything heavy.
It will read and clear fault codes, reset service/brakes/oil intervals etc and change some lightning options

Car scanner i use on my ev as it shows live info on battery/motor temps and when charging, power draw etc.
I've not used car scanner to clear a fault as i've not had a fault yet.
That's just tempted fate.
i use the first carly dongle for both( old white design)

Back
Top Bottom