Octavia VRS TSI

Soldato
Hey all,

I currently have a Mazda 3 MPS Mk2.

Whilst I do very much like my car, I cant help but look around for something newer.

What caught my eye, was a Skoda Octavia VRS TSI.
Easy to map to 300Bhp to match the performance of my MPS.

Good set of toys and it looks good in my eyes. My wife even likes it in red.. whereas she absolutely hates my MPS...

Anyway, does anyone here have one? Would be nice to get an idea of day to day life with one and its reliability.

If I buy one, I'd most likely PX my MPS to go towards it.

Soldato
They are very big and pretty reliable, the latest gen had lots of software bugs at launch but the older Mk 3 didn't hear too much going wrong with it

Soldato
I've had a facelift 245 DSG for a few years now and reliability wise, it's had a new waterpump/thermostat under warranty (extremely common on the 2.0 TSI) but has otherwise been faultless, just needed routine servicing and tyres.

There's a lot variants of the MK3 TSI, which affects specifications from getting the VAQ diff, to brake sizes, interior equipment, styling etc.

From a previous thread, this is a brief summary of the MK3 TSI:

There's a couple of bits worth clarifying in there.

All mk3 petrol vRS models got 340mm vented front discs, but 'special edition' cars and 245s get larger 310mm vented rear brakes rather than 272mm solid.

You've also kind of blurred a few models together in the timeline.

Prefacelift
vRS - 220bhp, XDS, 6sp DSG
vRS 230 - 230bhp, VAQ, 6sp DSG, Extras as standard

Facelift '17/18
vRS - 230bhp, XDS, 6sp DSG
vRS 245 - 245bhp, VAQ, 7sp DSG, Extras as standard

Facelift - '18-
vRS - 245bhp, VAQ, 7sp DSG
vRS 245 Challenge - 245bhp, VAQ, 7sp DSG, Extras as Standard + DCC + Keyless.

The extras referred to above being Black Pack Plus, including 19" Xtremes in Black, Heated Electric Memory seats, Powerfold Mirrors, Front and Rear Park, Sports Dials in the Infotainment and other more subtle changes like a black v in the vRS badge.

It's been an absolutely fantastic daily 'do it all' car for me that will be very difficult to replace but if you're looking for out and out fun from a car, look elsewhere unless you're going to throw money at the suspension, ARBs, bushes etc. It's a family hatchback that has been designed with practicality and sensibility at it's core, with a Golf GTI drivetrain added in.

Soldato
Caporegime
Not an Octavia but will be the same electronics. We have a May 21 built Karoq Sportline with just about every option chucked at it, only minor software issue is poor postcode lookup in the columbus Nav, adaptive cruise, lane assist, blind spot, rear alert, digital dash, Skoda connect etc etc have all been perfect.

Soldato
I have a 2019 vrs 245 dsg and am very happy with it.

Came from a e92 330i, not quite as quick but needed a family car. Its been great apart from the speaker that produces fake engine noise going on the blink when there is hot weather.

I get 25-30mpg on my 3 mile commute and 45-50mpg on motorway cruise

Was considering leasing another but can't get anywhere near the price I pay on a new one.

Don
Hey all,

I currently have a Mazda 3 MPS Mk2.

Whilst I do very much like my car, I cant help but look around for something newer.

What caught my eye, was a Skoda Octavia VRS TSI.
Easy to map to 300Bhp to match the performance of my MPS.

Good set of toys and it looks good in my eyes. My wife even likes it in red.. whereas she absolutely hates my MPS...

Anyway, does anyone here have one? Would be nice to get an idea of day to day life with one and its reliability.

If I buy one, I'd most likely PX my MPS to go towards it.

Are you looking at the older Mk3 vRS, or the new Mk4?

The older Mk3 is very reliable, strong engine and handles very well for a car of its size (especially if you get the 245 with adaptive suspension).

Soldato
I drive the latest r-line Passat estate. Great car but also plagued with the same infotainment issues. The screen regularly locks up, it takes ages to load, the sat nav simply loads up strings of coordinates when you enter a postcode (which it also doesn’t like and almost never recognises) and it often, upon locking up, emits a loud electronic scream through the speakers which persists until it eventually resets itself.

it also outright refuses to download some of the very most common symbols for the radio stations such as LBC, kiss etc.

the standard speakers are also crud and piano black plastic needs to die.

The vast majority of the car however is brilliant and it looks good with the 19s

Soldato
thanks. I have one on order, this is really putting me off. I ordered it after being sick of issues with my Volvo V60, which after a year of dealership visits is now doing well

I don’t have time to be messing about with car issues so seriously considering cancelling and sticking with what I have.
Forums will be biased and not necessary actually reflective of a car's reliability. As the OP states in his first post, note he had an SE, "So there might be thousands of people out there loving their MK4 and not got a single problem with it, hence they aren't here talking about it." Never has a more truer word has been stated....

Soldato
I have the new vRS (had it a few months now) couple little niggles but nothing that stops me enjoying the actual car.

It gets fairly regular updates.

The biggest issues believe it or not are with the safety systems that come as standard (these issues look to effect all the new VAG cars, like the MK8 golf GTI etc)

Lane assist is frankly annoying (can be turned off with a couple button presses on steering wheel, but will reset every time the car is turned off) and the Auto cruise control often picks up cars in a different lane you are passing and chucks the brakes on... think there is an issue with the Matrix LED lights not auto dimming also. Basically the sensor used for all of these functions is either junk or set up for left hand drive!

Everything else is pretty good imo, I'd of liked the upgraded leather electric seats to make the interior feel a little more special.

Soldato
Most likely a 2015 which is a Mk3?

Yes, Mk3 Prefacelift.

I'd be looking for a vRS 230 (though they might be a bit sparse at 2015 as it was launched in the latter half of 2015, so probably mostly 2016 cars)

You'll get the VAQ electronic diff which helps with putting the power down a bit (especially if you're wanting to remap) and a few other assorted extras.

Taken from a 2016 brochure:

vRS 230 has the following additional features:
19'' Xtreme Black alloy wheels
Auto-dimming rear view mirror
Black design door mirrors and front grille
Black gloss exhaust tailpipes with sports sound
Black decorative inserts
Black roof rails (Estate only)
Black vRS badging on front and rear
Colour Maxi DOT trip computer with Lap Timer
Door sill trim with black vRS logo
Electric door mirrors with boarding spots and memory function
Electrically adjustable driver's seat with memory function
Electro-mechanical front locking differential
Exclusive 230 decal on side sill
Front and rear parking sensors
Heated front seats
Sunset glass
vRS Sports seats in leather with red stitching

The only thing that really dates the Prefacelift cars is the infotainment screen IMO but I think later 230s will have the newer MIB2 glovebox unit that enables a relatively simple screen swap for the larger unit that came in the facelift cars (and can have Smartlink enabled for addition of Android Auto and Apple CarPlay).

In terms of remapping there's not a lot of difference between 220/230/245 until you get to later GPF equipped 245s, they'll typically all map to 300-310.

Soldato
I recently bought a 2017 MK3 230 DSG.
Both of us love it, does all we need, boot swallows up everything we've thrown at it so far. Even several bags of stone and compost, albeit rear seats down.
So glad we went back to a DSG box, such relaxed driving if you want to.
Super happy with it and definitely a long keeper car.

Associate
i have a red 2016 vrs estate since new. It has been great without any significant issues for me. Things i would recommend doing are decent tyres (michelin ps4 on my 18") remap and upgrading the front and rear antiroll bars. The EA888 engine has lots of aftermarket improvements available. Heated front seats and winscreen are my favourite factory options!

Soldato
From what people over at Briskoda and other forums have said - when put on rolling roads for their "before readings" Most 220's and every 230/245 seems to sit at around 250 stock.
I'm sure there are reasons for calling them 230, 245 etc.

Soldato
I have the new vRS (had it a few months now) couple little niggles but nothing that stops me enjoying the actual car.

It gets fairly regular updates.

The biggest issues believe it or not are with the safety systems that come as standard (these issues look to effect all the new VAG cars, like the MK8 golf GTI etc)

Lane assist is frankly annoying (can be turned off with a couple button presses on steering wheel, but will reset every time the car is turned off) and the Auto cruise control often picks up cars in a different lane you are passing and chucks the brakes on... think there is an issue with the Matrix LED lights not auto dimming also. Basically the sensor used for all of these functions is either junk or set up for left hand drive!

Everything else is pretty good imo, I'd of liked the upgraded leather electric seats to make the interior feel a little more special.

Thanks for the really informative post. A few questions if you don’t mind?

Can adaptive cruise control be turned off permanently?

How are the software updates delivered?

Any issues with crashing/laggy infotainment?

Hopefully not too off topic as I know OP is mainly interested in mk3 but I’d be really interested to know your thoughts

Back
Top Bottom