MacBook 2019 thread

Soldato
Third gen keyboard has also been announced but it's a slight improvement over the 2nd gen only.

Apple is refreshing its top laptops again by announcing newly updated specs for its 15-inch and 13-inch MacBook Pro models. It’s bringing faster Intel processors and some slight changes to the much-maligned keyboard that Apple says should reduce issues.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...acbook-pro-keyboard-faster-intel-specs-update

Not sure whether I'll pull the trigger because I still have plans to move to a Linux based laptop in future.

Man of Honour
So no significant improvement to cooling and still keeping that god awful butterfly keyboard. Well that's me skipping another gen then.

Soldato
So no significant improvement to cooling and still keeping that god awful butterfly keyboard. Well that's me skipping another gen then.

Supposedly the keyboard does have some tweaks again. Not quite sure what has changed at this point though, but here's hoping they've finally made it reliable.

However, as I noted in the other thread about the 2018 MBP, the Keyboard Service Program for 4 year keyboard warranty has finally been updated to cover the 2018 MBPs but interestingly the 2019 models are also covered so I'm not confident that they have fixed it yet. List is here: https://www.apple.com/uk/support/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks/

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm tempted to go for the 6 core now, price is a bit better and I'm upgrading from a dual core so should see significant improvements anyway. Just wish I could get 32GB in the 13" model.

Soldato
It's quite whizzy:

2019MBP_MR.jpg

For comparison:

perfperspective.jpg

They have improved the thermals. It's currently flat out 98-100% util (testing), averaging 2.6=2.8Ghz at 87 degs ish. That's a lot better than my i9.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Still using a 2015 MBP here, was hoping that they’d improve the keyboard this gen as I was looking to upgrade this year :(

Soldato
It's hard to judge the keyboard tbh in terms of being 'better'. I use quite a few of these units and I've not as yet had any problems - and I'm also very used to the keyboard type, so I don't really notice them. It's hard to have a solid opinion on something so subjective isn't it.

Soldato
You'd imagine so wouldn't you. I'm sure the videos will start dropping on YouTube shortly. It's next to me right now burning through some 4k video conversions at about 90-95% util, and hovering about 85-87degs. That's a lot better than my i9 - that would be be 95 degs plus!

Back
Top Bottom