• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Amd Zen4 official review thread

Soldato
Ryzen 5 7600X

Ryzen 7 7700X

Ryzen 9 7900X

Ryzen 9 7950X

Group tests

DDR5 memory scaling

Media benchmarks

Linux tests

Small form factor tests(65W)

Youtube reviews

Hardware Unboxed

Gamersnexus

LTT

Optimum tech

Hardware Canucks

Bitwit

JayzTwoCents

Techtesters

Paul's Hardware

Tech Deals

OC3D TV

Terafied(65W testing)

STS

eTeknix

KitGuruTech

CrazyTechLab(65W testing)

A2K

Last edited:
Caporegime
inb4 6 cores not enough :p

Looks good but think I'll wait to see what the 3d verison brings, that and that power consumption + temps is mental. Got my 5600x running -30 on all cores. 5800x3d would be more tempting especially since it would be just a drop in upgrade.

Soldato
OP
inb4 6 cores not enough :p

Looks good but think I'll wait to see what the 3d verison brings, that and that power consumption + temps is mental. Got my 5600x running -30 on all cores. 5800x3d would be more tempting especially since it would be just a drop in upgrade.

I have no interest in the six core CPUs myself,especially with the platform costs involved,another £100 won't be much of a percentage increase anyway!

Associate
Overclock3d (Ryzen 7700X and 7950X reviews
Lanoc Ryzen 7600X and 7 7700X reviews
The FPS Review 7900X
The Verge 7900X Review

Pugetsystems Ryzen 7950X, 7900X, 7700X, 7600X Content Creation reviews
Phoronix Ryzen 7900X and 7950X Linux gaming performance review

Soldato

Soldato
So my first gut reaction is, if you are in to any kind of productivity the top end chips are absolutely mega and make a very good case for themselves in that context.

If you only play games and you are already on AM4, buy a 5800X3D. Seems pointless at this moment in time changing platforms when pretty much any decent AM4 board will take a 5800X3D. None of the other new platform features really mean anything meaningful for games yet and probably won’t for a while.

If you own Alder lake, just upgrade to raptor lake.

Otherwise it looks expensive, new CPU, expensive motherboards, new ram. Personally I would wait it out, see what happens next year, unless you are on a really old platform.

Last edited:
Associate
I am on a very old 6600k, so I need to upgrade, though I'll wait till motherboard prices come down a bit.
The 7600 looks more than enough for gaming and seems to run a bit cooler than the 7700x thankfully. Hopefully in future I can drop in a Zen5 upgrade when I need a bit more performance.

Soldato
OP
If anyone gets a Zen4 upgrade please can you run this Fallout 4 benchmark:

Soldato
So my first gut reaction is, if you are in to any kind of productivity the top end chips are absolutely mega and make a very good case for themselves in that context.

If you only play games and you are already on AM4, buy a 5800X3D. Seems pointless at this moment in time changing platforms when pretty much any decent AM4 board will take a 5800X3D. None of the other new platform features really mean anything meaningful for games yet and probably won’t for a while.

If you own Alder lake, just upgrade to raptor lake.

Otherwise it looks expensive, new CPU, expensive motherboards, new ram. Personally I would wait it out, see what happens next year, unless you are on a really old platform.
Well the 5800x3D is £415 so compared to a 7600x to get on a new platform that is around £299 then you have £116 spare for a mobo which you could buy a B650e or X670 accordingly. So only RAM cost on top which is about £200 so that total cost upgrade to get on new platform and on average be faster gaming by a few % whilst also being ready to drop a new chip in next generation. It isn't mentally more expensive.

If you are looking a new platform at moment it certainly makes sense.

Soldato
OP
Well the 5800x3D is £415 so compared to a 7600x to get on a new platform that is around £299 then you have £116 spare for a mobo which you could buy a B650e or X670 accordingly. So only RAM cost on top which is about £200 so that total cost upgrade to get on new platform and on average be faster gaming by a few % whilst also being ready to drop a new chip in next generation. It isn't mentally more expensive.

If you are looking a new platform at moment it certainly makes sense.

The Ryzen 7 5800X3D has been below £400 before if you could shop around. Considering how it is not massively affected by DDR4 memory speed(so cheap RAM is not such a problem) and B550 motherboards are quite cheap,the money saved is still better spent on a better graphics card IMHO.

Caporegime
If anyone gets a Zen4 upgrade please can you run this Fallout 4 benchmark:
Will do.

Associate
Too expensive for my pocket but very impressive.

Definitely keeping an eye on the 8 core options with an ITX motherboard.

I'm sure Intel will fight back but great to see AMD landing with a punch.

Associate
I've watched a couple of reviews but haven't seen any gaming without a discrete card figures yet, how are they comparing to 5600G/5700G etc in that regard?

EDIT: Guess I should have read a couple not relied on YouTube, Techpowerup has a few charts, they look awful compared to even a 5600G

Last edited:
Soldato
The wait continues... Still no capable CPU for that 120 fps lock, and this is still inferior to ADL & 5800X3D - and all for a cool premium on top of it at all. Meh. :o

3k2GhMb.jpg

Guess it doesn't matter as much anymore since we know DLSS 3 will help a lot here for the CPU bottleneck (sorta), and the 4090 will stay <120 fps even with DLSS in Performance mode. Too many compromises all around for so much money, it's a pretty mediocre launch period all things considered. Once the v-cache CPUs hit, and then Nvidia does its ADA refresh then we're talking, but it still feels like we're a year early for actually exciting products (and prices).

Associate
Looking forward to these chips, time to watch the reviews and decided on my next build. I'll definitely be seeing a massive performance increase coming my good old 4690k and GtX 970 :)

Anyone know when they go live on OCUK?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom