OcUK Christmas Cooking Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
This is a bit of a trial run, but here's the first of hopefully many OcUK Cookoff Competitions.

All people that wish to participate must create an original main course using all of the ingredients listed.

When cooking the dish, all entrants must take photos illustrating the method of the recipe as well as the final result.

The entrant must also post a full method as well as a list of quantities of ingredients used.

The entries will be shortlisted out of 40 points and will be judged on originality, creativity, difficulty and presentation. There will be a poll based on presentation of the dish where the winner will get 10 points and the rest a percentage based on total votes. The remainder of the votes will be judged by the panel as will any tied votes.

Once a shortlist has been decided, the three most popular dishes will be cooked by a panel of judges. The judges will mark on the criteria above as well as taste, flavour combinations and texture.

The panel will be judged by three members: myself, AcidHell2 and JodieG and we will decide the eventual winner. All judges’ decisions are final.
The winner will have an automatic entry to the judge panel on the next round.

Each round will have between 6 and 8 ingredients chosen by the judges that MUST be used in any recipe as well as cupboard ingredients that can be used at the entrants discretion.

Round One Ingredients:
Chicken Thigh / Quorn
Potato
Pastry (Must only use flour, butter/oil, water or can be shop bought)
Butternut squash
Red onion
Cabbage
Goats Cheese

Cupboard Ingredients
Herbs/Spices
Butter/Oils
Vinegars
Seasoning
Eggs
Milk
Stock cubes
Baking poweder
Granulated Sugar
Cream
Lea & Perrins, Fish and Soy Sauces
Flour
Wine (Red or White)

In the Christmas spirit of things, there will be a prize of £50 worth of OcUK hardware for the winner very generously donated by Spie :)

Clarifications:
A main course can consist of a few dishes, but they must complememt each other as a whole course.
Quorn alternative added for veggies.

To submit an entry, email photos (both during cooking and the final result) and the recipe (including method and ingredients and quantities thereof) to myself at Burnsy2023 or JodieG Please also post that you have enetered in this thread so we can make sure we have everyone's entries. We have avoided posting all the details here to prevent the copying of ideas/cheating.

Update: Due to the slow number of entries and the busy nature of people around this period, it had been decided to extend the entry deadline until Monday 7th January

Burnsy

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
How many rounds can we expect?
Just thinking how much this will all add up in ingredients ;)
TBH, it's more for the fun rather than the prize!

Goodluck to whoever enters.

Depends on how well this goes. It's unlikely there will be future prizes, it'll most likely be just for fun, but with Christmas coming up, Spie is being very generous :)

Burnsy

Man of Honour
OP
it's hardly a concession to say chicken/vegetarian/vegan alternative, is it? I don't see what being Muslim has to do with it, either?

maybe it should be the OcUK Carnivore Cookery Competition. then vegetarians won't want to enter

We are currently discussing this and may make a consession. We'll get back to you on this.

Burnsy

Man of Honour
OP
Ok, so 1 gram of squash would be wrong, but 1kg would be OK?

Where is the cutoff point? 5 grams? 10 grams, 50 grams 500 grams?

Although the amount is at your discretion, think about whether it positively contributes to the texture or the flavour of the dish as a whole. If not your not adding enough.

Think about the spirit of the rules rather then looking for loopholes ;)

Burnsy

Man of Honour
OP
I have added the vegetarian alternative of quorn. I hate the stuff, but it can be used in a similar way to chicken and has a similar texture.

The original decision of having meat is for several reasons: texture, flavour and nutritional content. It made sense at the time but we don't want to ignore a significant minority.

We put a lot of time in thinking this through but obviously we can't think of everything.

Burnsy

Man of Honour
OP
thank you :)

whilst I agree that meat and quorn differ in many ways - the competition isn't being judged on flavour, texture or nutritional content (originality, creativity, difficulty and presentation), so this inclusion hopefully won't impose too much.

thanks again

The final three will be cooked by the judges and flavour and texture will be judged and marked on. I'm sorry if this is a problem, but we're not willing to discriminate against the majority.

Brunsy

Man of Honour
OP
One question to the judges: How are you going to judge the final pictures? I'm a **** photographer, and if I take a picture that doesn't do my dish justice is it going to cost me points?

Like AcidHell said, it's judged via a poll and hopefully your creativity and and originality will offset your poor photography skills :)

Burnsy

Man of Honour
OP
MKS 2005's entry:

[FONT=&quot]Goat’s cheese, red onion & thyme stuffed chicken thighs wrapped in puff pastry[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]with creamy squash & potato mash and buttered cabbage[/FONT]

mks2005.jpg

There's your benchmarks guys and girls :)

Burnsy

Man of Honour
OP
Miracleboy's Entry:
Chicken Wellington stuffed with Balsamic Caramelised Red Onions and Goats Cheese. Served with posh Thyme Chips, Butternut Squash Mash and White Wine and Cream Sauce.

21685578911a98f9975ecp9.jpg

Burnsy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom