OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
Paid for an allergy test from a blood sample for my daughter, as she’s non-verbal, and can’t tell us when she’s feeling unwell. We knew from her early days, and the scale of the response that she was allergic to cow’s milk. However, despite cutting out milk and avoiding soy, which we suspect she also may be allergic too, we’ve still been having her reacting badly to something though, sometimes waking up screaming in the night with painful trapped wind. So, we paid for the test, but with these results though, it looks like it’s so much worse than we suspected. It would seem she’s allergic to almost everything.

The results use a traffic light system, and the following were red, as in do not give it to her at all.

- Milk
- Egg white
- Almond
- Oat
- Gliadin (which is just as well, as we have no idea what that even is)
- Pea
- Barley
- Cashew nut
- Wheat
- Hazelnut
- Peanut
- Soy (we suspected she might be allergic to soy)
- White haricot bean
- Durum wheat
- Potato
- Rye
- Oranges

I mean, just what the hell are we supposed to feed her? She loves potato waffles, pasta, beans, and due to her Autism she’s really limited in what she will eat anyway.
Please pay a dietitian and get proper advice. Don't wait for the NHS to give you what's available. I've watched my friends Mrs **** around with her colitis for a decade now and it's reduced him to a very mundane existence (due to her not getting proper advice and having an educated view on her diet).

Associate
Paid for an allergy test from a blood sample for my daughter, as she’s non-verbal, and can’t tell us when she’s feeling unwell. We knew from her early days, and the scale of the response that she was allergic to cow’s milk. However, despite cutting out milk and avoiding soy, which we suspect she also may be allergic too, we’ve still been having her reacting badly to something though, sometimes waking up screaming in the night with painful trapped wind. So, we paid for the test, but with these results though, it looks like it’s so much worse than we suspected. It would seem she’s allergic to almost everything.

The results use a traffic light system, and the following were red, as in do not give it to her at all.

- Milk
- Egg white
- Almond
- Oat
- Pea
- Barley
- Cashew nut
- Wheat
- Hazelnut
- Peanut
- White haricot bean
- Durum wheat
- Potato
- Rye
- Oranges

I mean, just what the hell are we supposed to feed her? She loves potato waffles, pasta, beans, and due to her Autism she’s really limited in what she will eat anyway.

Steamed chicken breast and plain rice forever then....

Genuinely feel sorry for your daughter with this diagnosis, although ultimately it's best you've now found out for her health, but can imagine it must be quite difficult for her to understand/ express her feelings.

To keep meal times interesting will certainly require some out of the box thinking, but should be doable,

Gliadin is wheats and cereals, makes up 70% of gluten apparently, so will be a gluten free diet for your daughter as well.

Soldato

- Milk
- Egg white
- Almond
- Oat
- Pea
- Barley
- Cashew nut
- Wheat
- Hazelnut
- Peanut
- White haricot bean
- Durum wheat
- Potato
- Rye
- Oranges

Who did you pay for this test? If it was one one these online companies then just out the results in the bin and seek a proper dietician referral

Man of Honour
Who did you pay for this test? If it was one one these online companies then just out the results in the bin and seek a proper dietician referral
What makes you say that? My wife used York Test and cut out all the high risk foods and she saw huge improvements in about a month.

Last edited:
Soldato
Because even a broken clock is right twice a day. She’s probably cutting out food she doesn’t need to - just to eliminate the issue.use it as guidance by all means, then run your own science cutting things out until you find a balance that works for you.

My wife had one of these done and the list she got back was huge for her relatively minor symptoms.

Caporegime
Because even a broken clock is right twice a day. She’s probably cutting out food she doesn’t need to - just to eliminate the issue.use it as guidance by all means, then run your own science cutting things out until you find a balance that works for you.

My wife had one of these done and the list she got back was huge for her relatively minor symptoms.

I heard all these allergy tests are just scams.

Let's face it. If it worked, it would be done on the NHS and allergies would be much less an issue

Soldato
The only way to properly diagnose reactions / impact is via a food diary and a long term addition and subtraction, as MoNkeE says, the lists of them are often massive as a catch all. I have chronic eczema and the blood test says I was green to go for Wheat when it's actually one of the only real food triggers I have.

Best to seek the help of a professional who will take you through the long process of diagnosis.

OG

OG

Associate
As others have said... if you can afford it please find advice from a private nutritionist. Food log/diary with an understanding of reactions is going to be the only concrete way to understand the allergies.

Soldato
Our little guy (2year old) has just been getting over chickenpox, absolutely awful time, wish we had got him the vaccine now, not just for the loss of Nursery costs and annual leave :p but it was not a fun experience to witness.
He got it really bad, I've never seen another kid with it so bad, certainly never got it as bad myself or siblings were younger, he was covered in it, inside his mouth, ears, eyelids, private parts covered :o it was heartbreaking when he kept breaking down screaming 'spikey' his version of telling us it hurts :(

Associate

- Milk
- Egg white
- Almond
- Oat
- Pea
- Barley
- Cashew nut
- Wheat
- Hazelnut
- Peanut
- White haricot bean
- Durum wheat
- Potato
- Rye
- Oranges

Have you been seen by the NHS outside of this private test? It is really worth getting a referral via your GP to be seen by a Paediatrician with a proper program. We've dealt with allergies and via the help of a nutritionist, personal food diaries and NHS you can get more dialled in help. Over time some allergies can become less with age.

Man of Honour
Sat on the sofa yesterday with my 4 year old daughter and I looked over at her, just by chance, and as I did, her eyes rolled in to the back of her head. She often pulls weird faces if she knows I'm looking at her, but it seemed odd so called to her and got no response. Mum picked her up and she was just completely limp and no response to us talking to her. After about 20 seconds she came around and just burst in to tears.

Was terrifying and called 999 who sent an ambulance out, and to be fair, they came very quickly. She spent 12 hours in A&E (about 9 hours of that was waiting to be seen :mad:), and after that, had loads of tests, bloods, CT, ECG and everything came back normal. So they say it could have just been a one off as there's no logical explanation for it, but there is obviously a possibility of epilepsy now. My first thought was that because she'd been at an Easter party that day and eaten so much chocolate and cakes, and nothing particularly good, that her blood sugars just crashed and I was hoping they'd say it could be that too so at least there was a reason, but they tested her levels and it was ok.

It's shaken me up big time, we had a couple of scares like that with my eldest when he was young but it wasn't as bad as there was a logical explanation and a cause or it could be explained. This, and not knowing why, or if it could happen again, and just being on constant edge now, properly messed me up. Bit of a wreck today, probably shouldn't be working but I need to do something or I'm going to be in there fussing over her too much and making it obvious I'm worried, and I don't want her to think something is going on and make her worried.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sat on the sofa yesterday with my 4 year old daughter and I looked over at her, just by chance, and as I did, her eyes rolled in to the back of her head. She often pulls weird faces if she knows I'm looking at her, but it seemed odd so called to her and got no response. Mum picked her up and she was just completely limp and no response to us talking to her. After about 20 seconds she came around and just burst in to tears.

Was terrifying and called 999 who sent an ambulance out, and to be fair, they came very quickly. She spent 12 hours in A&E (about 9 hours of that was waiting to be seen :mad:), and after that, had loads of tests, bloods, CT, ECG and everything came back normal. So they say it could have just been a one off as there's no logical explanation for it, but there is obviously a possibility of epilepsy now. My first thought was that because she'd been at an Easter party that day and eaten so much chocolate and cakes, and nothing particularly good, that her blood sugars just crashed and I was hoping they'd say it could be that too so at least there was a reason, but they tested her levels and it was ok.

It's shaken me up big time, we had a couple of scares like that with my eldest when he was young but it wasn't as bad as there was a logical explanation and a cause or it could be explained. This, and not knowing why, or if it could happen again, and just being on constant edge now, properly messed me up. Bit of a wreck today, probably shouldn't be working but I need to do something or I'm going to be in there fussing over her too much and making it obvious I'm worried, and I don't want her to think something is going on and make her worried.

Hope she's better fella !!!

Not sure how I would cope or actually after that so can't offer any advice unfortunately.

Man of Honour
Thanks guys, appreciate it. I know there’s not really anything to say at this point in terms of advice, just needed to write that out as I’ve not really been able to talk to anyone about it

She’s been her usual happy self today, I’ve been on edge the entire time but trying my best not to act like it around her.

Soldato
Anyone have issue of their toddler waking up early hours or morning?

Randomly mine wakes up about half 2 in the morning, refuses to go back to sleep, will probably not sleep until a nap around 11 and then proceed to go back to sleep around 7pm the next night ?

It's crazy, have no choice but to put him in his bed at nearly 3am with TV on to stop him going crazy and screaming the place down , or putting him in bed with us he's just talking to himself for hours on end.

Soldato
Anyone have issue of their toddler waking up early hours or morning?

Randomly mine wakes up about half 2 in the morning, refuses to go back to sleep, will probably not sleep until a nap around 11 and then proceed to go back to sleep around 7pm the next night ?

It's crazy, have no choice but to put him in his bed at nearly 3am with TV on to stop him going crazy and screaming the place down , or putting him in bed with us he's just talking to himself for hours on end.

I would stop the TV part asap, you are only going to make it worse by doing that.

Ours has had a few nights where she wakes up thinking it's daytime and funnily enough around 2:30 am as well, she never screams but has taken a few hours to settle back down.
Just a phase, probably excitement about the next day also.

Our little one goes to sleep at about 8-8:30 and wakes up about 7.

Now getting her to bed is like ww3...she hates and I mean hates going to bed !

She once woke up and shouted
"daddy it's wakey time"
Walked in and she said in high pitched screaming and excited voice
" we are going to mark and spenkers to get Colin the caterpillar cake and OLIVES "

She loves both and was obviously super excited hence the early wake up, we both found it hilarious, best night of non sleep ever.

Man of Honour
To try and bring a bit of levity after some of the horrendous and worrying experiences some of you have had.

Although we are a multicultural and multi race family, this is the first time we took our kids to see family in SE Asia. Well my goodness they embraced the adventure like heroes! They're eating all the food (then again they're super adventurous when it comes to food and eat a very broad diet), interacting with everyone, and really getting into the Asia vibe. I'm genuinely so proud and impressed (baffled too!).

It's always a worry that it's going to be so different that they'll disengage. Well have to say I'm so happy that they're really embracing it. The heat is the only thing my eldest is struggled a little with at the start but she's pushing through and not moaning about it.

I haven't convinced them that hot spicy food is nice but that just means more for me! :D Fortunately we know the local foods well, and whilst none of it would pass European food standards, no one gets ill and it's just glorious.

Anyone been away on exotic adventures with their young children?

Soldato
Anyone been away on exotic adventures with their young children?

That sounds absolutely awesome, great experience for them for sure. I was doing well with making sure mine aren't picky eaters, but they've both taken a bit of a backwards step, funnily enough I decided last night that I need to address it as it's just annoying tbh.

We had a week in northern Spain with extended family out there, in fairness to the kids they really got into it and we made some awesome memories, looking forward to going again.

It's so awesome when kids get to the age/maturity that you're hanging out with them rather than just constantly 'parenting' them.

Food however was a bit of a struggle, one of the relations is a chef so one meal we had the most amazing spread of food, followed by paella, but my two mostly ate bread and ham, proper English fair :cry:

Time to start working out some more adventurous food options..

Man of Honour
It's always going to be an adventure but I must say we've always been strict when it comes to food but it's good to get out of your comfort zones and start with simpler foods and then add spices and other ingredients slowly. My parents and in laws have introduced them to 'local' foods early so I'd like to think that that has helped.

Good luck on your next adventure! It's so important IMO that kids see the world as much as possible, I was very lucky to have been born into a multi cultural family, that's something that you don't get a choice over!

Back
Top Bottom