OcUK Photo Comp - Season Ten : Round Five - "Tilt Shift" DISCUSSION

Soldato
One of the primary uses is for perspective correction. Looking through the shots that we took yesterday, here are a couple of un-retouched photos. This is by Steeps, at 10mm on a crop body:

10mm-crop.jpg

This next one is mine, from pretty much the same position, using the TS-E 24mm on FF, with quite a large amount of tilt to correct the perspective:

TSE-24mm.jpg

The point being that my pillars are standing upright.

Truth be told, I am still trying to learn about this new lens. the focus in my image is very soft at the top of the pillars due to the tilt. I think I should have been using shift instead.

I need to be more patient. With the ND10 on the front, you can hardly tell what is in the frame, let alone what is in focus. Most of the setup is done using live-view and wandering laboriously round the frame in maximum magnification mode to pixel-peep at the focus quality.

Andrew

Thanks for that, that's very informative :) I'd love to try using those lenses, but I'd use them so rarely I couldn't justify the outlay. Still, there's always Tuesday's lottery :D

Soldato
I was going to rent a lens but I don't have the spare cash anymore. I might try the DIY route if I have time, unlikely though so probably no entry this month :(

Associate
In St Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh today, there was a good opportunity to show what shift is all about. Here are some un-processed images:

First, we have a regular picture of the organ, taken at 24mm, as you would usually do, on a tripod, at head height. Because we are fairly close and the organ is fall, we have to point up to get it all in:

shift-1.jpg

But because the camera is pointing up the way, the top appears to lean back due to perspective.

Now, if we were to point the lens horizontally, nothing would lean but the top of the organ would be cut off:

shift-2.jpg

Which isn't much good...

Now, remember that the image on the sensor is upside down.

If we were to hold the lens in exactly the same place and move the sensor down a bit, we could see a different portion of the image. It would look like this:

shift-3.jpg

Cool huh? That's what the "shift" is in "tilt and shift".

Andrew

Soldato
I had a great weekend down in Totnes (bus, steam train, boat round robin trip), and took my camera, so i have an entry, got some more to process, so may change.
Personally ive had great fun trying to find 'alternate' tilt/shift shots/subjects, granted, my current entry is run of the mill at the moment, but had fun this weekend 'looking' for those kind of shots.

edit: processed another, not sure if i like it more than my current entry?

TS7a.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Just give this a bump as someone posted a comment in the entries thread, please keep discussions in here.

Oh and to name and shame I am waiting on Oxygen to drop me his marks for the Metal round so that I can publish the results :p

Associate
Hadn't really got a shot suitable but gave it ago anyway and i think it's OK for a first go.

Look forward to seeing the results of the "Metal" round too.

James

Soldato
Well entry now submitted. Personally I found this the hardest month so far, I'm probably not thinking outside the box enough but the theme gave me two options; first an actual Tilt Shifted image but without the equipment required I ruled this out, so secondly the miniature tilt shift effect which I'm not a fan of (but opted for it).

I tried applying that effect to many other types of image not normally associated with the miniature fakes but it either didn't work or strayed to far from the initial theme for a connection to be made.

But hey it had be using my camera and messing with PP so not all bad I guess.

Soldato
But hey it had be using my camera and messing with PP so not all bad I guess.

Exactly what the themes are suppose to do :D

I know not everyone liked the theme, but that goes for every theme every month ;)

I really enjoyed exploring the theme, id never normally do tilt and shift, as most of us here, so made a change if nothing else ;)

Back
Top Bottom