• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RTX4070 review thread

Soldato
Founders Edition
Group test
Youtube reviews
Hardware Unboxed

Gamersnexus

Techtesters

Digital Foundry

LTT

Paul's Hardware

Tech YES City

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
AIB models
Asus
MSI
Gainward
PNY

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Underwhelmed is an understatement.

Gamersnexus compared the RTX4070TI to the RX6900XT/RX6950XT:

At 4K,it again seems to fall behind. It seems to only catch up at lower resolutions. Even DF is saying the same. TPU also show the same:

This is more of a 1080p and qHD dGPU. The RTX3080 was considered more of a 4K dGPU when it was released.

Something I noticed in the other thread.

Soldato
OP
Zero surprises there, the leaks were bang on by the sounds of it. An interesting thing is that bang for buck is similar to 7900 XT according to Techpowerup graphs although technically I guess you could have worked that out before the review (I just didn't!)

Also interesting that it's on 5nm rather than 4nm like the 4090 - no wonder the it seems badly positioned by comparison, it's like a refresh behind.

TSMC 4N is an improved 5NM process. Just like TSMC 6NM is an improved 7NM.

Soldato
OP
AMD researchers will be reading this, give us and tech jurnalists something to cheer about, take the win, its right there.... don't do a 7900XT.

The need to get the Navi 32 based RX7800XT out. Make it a 16GB card and offer it at under £500. Apparently it has around 2/3 the shaders of Navi31 and that would place it around the RX6800XT/RTX3080 level at qHD:

Soldato
OP
Yeah tho i think it will be clocked higher.

also is it monolithic or still MCM?

Either way i don't think AMD can charge $600 for it, they may have wanted to but its also an oportunity to do it right, Nvidia are not going to drop the 4070 to $500, i think Jens would sooner stab himself in the eye with a pen.

MCM I think.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ah but if you go one generation further down the GTX 770 was a lemon, too.

It was.
The 4070Ti should have been the 4070 and the 4070 should have been the 4060ti basically.
Technically the AD104 is really a GA106 replacement. So the RTX4070TI should have been an RTX4060/RTX4060TI! But even the change you suggested would have at least improved VRAM by 50% and it shows you how greedy Nvidia have been this generation,especially with cratering RAM prices.

Soldato
OP
TBH I had not seen it pulling 180 watts at 3080 performance, that is less than my 3060ti, that and the extra vram pushed me over the edge.
It's 40% faster for 60% more money. It's literally a rebadged RTX3060 replacement so why it draws less power. We should be expecting that improvement each generation from direct replacements. I showed you the numbers. The RTX3060TI was that improvement over the RTX2060 Super with better efficiency too.
So don't ever complain again about the market - your FOMO has proven the Nvidia/AMD price fixing works just like Apple doing it to their own fanbase, who complained but still bought it.

Even if my 3060ti went kaput today, I would rather use the ancient GTX960 4GB in the cupboard then pay £600 for this card. Because if this game works I hate to think what the next generation will cost.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Did someone actually a ditch an RX6800 16GB for just 12% to 16% extra performance and 4GB less of VRAM:

Also just to save 34W to 39W of power:

A slight undervolt would have gotten it to similar power.

The PC dGPU market is doomed! :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
so 10 years+ roi at current rates, great save :D

Its worse as the difference is more like 30W~40W comparing reference models. So even if the model is not reference,it most likely was overvolted a bit.Hence a slight undervolt and drop back to reference clocks would have split the difference.

Edit!!

Now, the RX 6800 is much more efficient when it comes to undervolting. The voltages could be lowered from 1.025 to 0.9 V, and this also allowed for a small fps boost across the board, yet the TGP could be lowered by 45 W down to around 183 W.

The RX6800 was the most efficient dGPU of the last generation.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
A colleague (friend) at work has offered me a 4070 for £300. It's about a month old and barely used - there's nothing wrong with it. It's the Asus TUF Gaming 4070.

I currently have a 6700 XT which I'd sell so it ends up being fairly cheap really.

I wasn't looking to change my gfx card as it does well enough for me but for £300 it seems a good deal?

That is a decent deal.

Back
Top Bottom