• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ryzen 3000XT series review thread

Caporegime
This seems to be just AMD trying con people, totally unnecessary release and to say they've substantially increased the price (looking at the 3900XT). At least when Intel did a tock they generally had other improvements aside from a minor change to boost clock which may not even be reached depending on conditions anyway.

Soldato
This seems to be just AMD trying con people, totally unnecessary release and to say they've substantially increased the price (looking at the 3900XT). At least when Intel did a tock they generally had other improvements aside from a minor change to boost clock which may not even be reached depending on conditions anyway.

One of the reasons is to bring the current price back up to the old MSRP. AMD do something Intel doesn't, they reduce prices as products age. Intel never reduce their price and often raise them before they go EOL. If the XT CPU's hadn't released the same CPU's you can buy now would have been for sale at the same cheaper prices we can still buy them at.

If anything I expect Zen3 to cost more than the current XT CPU's. Looks to me AMD are tiering their products. If you want the latest pay top dollar, if you want to pay less buy their older ranges instead. Sensible approach and I think we'll see a stronger AMD for it.

Soldato

The 3900XT is pretty much at 3900X launch prices. Maybe a little less. If a 3900XT is worth buying over a on sale 3900X subjective.

Soldato
and to say they've substantially increased the price

July 2019, check the Zen2 thread, OCUK launched the 3900X at £479 and were forced to stick to that price due to an agreement with AMD for initial few weeks. It went up after that to well past £500, supply and demand, and then over the following 10 months after than it slowly went down. The MSRP was £479, and AMD have officially reduced that now, to £419 (maybe £429), and they replaced the £479 price point with the XT. The MSRP is £479, just UK shops are screwing people over as usual, if you buy it from somewhere in the EU and pay in € it will cost you £470 shipped, so the same price as the 3900X was.

Is it worth the difference, no, are they taking the 3900X out of the market, probably not. As i have already said this allows AMD to justify a 'lower' tier of the same part for marketing purposes and sell a 12c/24t CPU at a similar price to that of a 8c/16t part from the competition, thus giving people a very hard choice to make unless they are a super nerd 240Hz twitch gaming person, and that is all they use the PC for. It's all about maintaining or increasing margins to allow the company to grow.

Soldato
July 2019, check the Zen2 thread, OCUK launched the 3900X at £479 and were forced to stick to that price due to an agreement with AMD for initial few weeks. It went up after that to well past £500, supply and demand, and then over the following 10 months after than it slowly went down. The MSRP was £479, and AMD have officially reduced that now, to £419 (maybe £429), and they replaced the £479 price point with the XT. The MSRP is £479, just UK shops are screwing people over as usual, if you buy it from somewhere in the EU and pay in € it will cost you £470 shipped, so the same price as the 3900X was.

Is it worth the difference, no, are they taking the 3900X out of the market, probably not. As i have already said this allows AMD to justify a 'lower' tier of the same part for marketing purposes and sell a 12c/24t CPU at a similar price to that of a 8c/16t part from the competition, thus giving people a very hard choice to make unless they are a super nerd 240Hz twitch gaming person, and that is all they use the PC for. It's all about maintaining or increasing margins to allow the company to grow.

It’s hard to say. Take me for instance, I have a drop in upgrade to 12c 24t chip for £499

Back
Top Bottom