OcUK System 'dead' - advice or return needed?

Associate
The website suggests their usual turnaround once the hardware has been received is 72 hours (https://help.overclockers.co.uk/hc/...29-What-warranty-comes-with-my-OcUK-PC-System) noting that it can be more in busy periods.

If you haven't heard from them I think it's worth chasing up with a call.

I'm not aware of a ticket status portal but I haven't had to RMA anything; does seek like a good suggestion for them if it isn't just buried away somewhere.

Associate
OP
The website suggests their usual turnaround once the hardware has been received is 72 hours (https://help.overclockers.co.uk/hc/...29-What-warranty-comes-with-my-OcUK-PC-System) noting that it can be more in busy periods.

If you haven't heard from them I think it's worth chasing up with a call.

I'm not aware of a ticket status portal but I haven't had to RMA anything; does seek like a good suggestion for them if it isn't just buried away somewhere.
I gave them a call yesterday to chase up on progress. The guy taking the call put me on hold and went to check... when they returned he advised me that they 'had just got it out of the box' and if I raise a ticket in 3 days time I would be able to get an update.

That meant the system had arrived at OcUK on 19th April, and they had begun to work on it on 29th April - that's 10 calendar days, which included 6 full business days, before doing anything. If I am lucky, they may have fixed things by the end of the week, but I am not holding my breath.

Associate
OP
I got a notification with your original message in it, suspecting a memory issue, but I suspect that you then saw earlier in the thread that I had run MemTest86 against it and encountered no errors, and so edited the message.

I opened the ticket for the issue back on 5th April, so it really is a long time without a system.

Whilst I don't use it for work as such, some of the activities that I do on the machine are a small source of income, and I have been without it for virtually all of April. I used to work as part of an IT support team at a corporate, and we used to get hardware issues fixed by the next day - when things get busy the very least that we did was keep the user up-to-date on progress. When I called OcUK, apparently they had just opened the box (having had it more than a week without working on it), so told me I should call them back in 3 days.

Soldato
I got a notification with your original message in it, suspecting a memory issue, but I suspect that you then saw earlier in the thread that I had run MemTest86 against it and encountered no errors, and so edited the message.

I opened the ticket for the issue back on 5th April, so it really is a long time without a system.

Whilst I don't use it for work as such, some of the activities that I do on the machine are a small source of income, and I have been without it for virtually all of April. I used to work as part of an IT support team at a corporate, and we used to get hardware issues fixed by the next day - when things get busy the very least that we did was keep the user up-to-date on progress. When I called OcUK, apparently they had just opened the box (having had it more than a week without working on it), so told me I should call them back in 3 days.
I had some memory issues a few years back that were causing crashing in games, running Memtest never picked it up though as it was temp related and the ram would only start to throw errors when it was heated up by the GPU.

That said 25 days and still counting is a very poor turn around time.

Soldato

Did you ask why they had only got round to looking at the PC?

I hope you get a better update when you check in with them in 3 days but saying that I would expect them to get in touch with you in 3 days or sooner once they have found the issue rather than saying for you to chase them in 3 days.

Where I work we update engineers often even if there is no update just so they know we have not forgotten about their issue\query\problem and that we are still looking in to it.

Associate
OP
Did you ask why they had only got round to looking at the PC?

I hope you get a better update when you check in with them in 3 days but saying that I would expect them to get in touch with you in 3 days or sooner once they have found the issue rather than saying for you to chase them in 3 days.

Where I work we update engineers often even if there is no update just so they know we have not forgotten about their issue\query\problem and that we are still looking in to it.

I did not ask why it had taken so long for them to get around to looking at the machine, as I'm pretty certain they would have blamed it on the 'being very busy' - having worked in a support role in the past I would immediately take that to mean ' understaffed', and there is nothing that the poor guy answering the phone can do about that.

I've opened a new Request ticket asking for an update, mentioning that the consensus on this forum is that a RAM issue is most likely, and if that is the case OcUK should have diagnosed and resolved the issue by now, and updated me about it. As I have heard nothing I asked what their diagnosis is, what their plan of action is, and what timescale they expect before returning the system in a working state.

Given the confirmation email says "We aim to respond within 36 hours, however in some cases, it may take up to 10 days for us to respond to your request" I am not expecting an immediate answer! If I still worked at a corporate, I suspect that I would have raised a Customer Complaint by now...

Soldato
I did not ask why it had taken so long for them to get around to looking at the machine, as I'm pretty certain they would have blamed it on the 'being very busy' - having worked in a support role in the past I would immediately take that to mean ' understaffed', and there is nothing that the poor guy answering the phone can do about that.

I've opened a new Request ticket asking for an update, mentioning that the consensus on this forum is that a RAM issue is most likely, and if that is the case OcUK should have diagnosed and resolved the issue by now, and updated me about it. As I have heard nothing I asked what their diagnosis is, what their plan of action is, and what timescale they expect before returning the system in a working state.

Given the confirmation email says "We aim to respond within 36 hours, however in some cases, it may take up to 10 days for us to respond to your request" I am not expecting an immediate answer! If I still worked at a corporate, I suspect that I would have raised a Customer Complaint by now...
I hope you get an update sooner rather than later.

Give it a few days and if no update to the webnote i would give then another call.

Associate
OP
OcUK emailed me today to advise that they had identified and resolved the issue yesterday, and that the machine is scheduled to be collected for return to me today - as it is a holiday weekend, this means that I should receive the machine on Tuesday.

The fault was with the CPU, which OcUK have replaced in order to return the machine to stable operation.

Many thanks to all of you that suggested tests to diagnose the fault or eliminate possible causes.

Soldato
Glad to hear its resolved.

Shame its a bank holiday this weekend which means its an extra days wait.

At least you know when you get it back it will be working and stable.

Do not see the CPU being at fault a lot but that is 1 good thing about this, it was returned, they resolved\replaced and sent back all be it you where without it for awhile

Back
Top Bottom