OcUK Ultima Mammoth - New System Project

OcUK Staff
OP
You are correct, we are using the Lian-Li z70 case for this build. Congrats on the detective work! :D

I will post up some pictures of what we have done to the case to make this a very capable W/C case.

OcUK Staff
OP
top front and bottom?

2x 360 in the front flowing across through the case and the 280 mounted in the top of the case.

How many £k is it going to set me back? :p
Can't be cheap getting a pre watercooled rig

We haven't set a final price on this yet, it all depends on how long it takes us to complete, however given the spec (to be finalised) which is going to be as high as we can get with current market hardware it isn't going to be cheap, but you wouldn't be receiving a cheap off the shelf product either as this will be quite heavily modified for a pre-built system.

OcUK Staff
OP
We are looking at what can be done with the internals once we have finished modifying it. The issue with powder coating and anodizing is that it would have to be done by a third party and due to the time constraints that we have with our builds process it might not be possible to get a reliable service and finish. It will be something to look into for sure.

Soldato
We are looking at what can be done with the internals once we have finished modifying it. The issue with powder coating and anodizing is that it would have to be done by a third party and due to the time constraints that we have with our builds process it might not be possible to get a reliable service and finish. It will be something to look into for sure.

I'm sure it could be an option considering the exclusivity of the build (keeping in mind the EK nickel finishing problem). Have you or OcUK ever though about entering the bit-tech.net Dream PC contest? Would be amazing you see what OcUK could cook up (keeping in mind the last one was approaching 10k)! :D

OcUK Staff
OP
Yeah we would love to enter the dream PC contest, however The Last time it was run was 2009, they haven't had a competition since, much to our disappointment!

This system will be our flagship system and not cost any where near as much as the dream pc entries but be a close to equal on performance.

Just to give you a quick idea of how this system will perform, with our initial bench tests RJK managed to achieve close to 50K points in 3DMark Vantage.

Soldato
Are you going to do much serious modding to the case? cuz that could hurt resale value down the line if it can't be undone.

Someone said earlier in the thread that the case wasn't so good, so it's pretty much only good for this specific build. It's also going to have a limited audience isn't it, in 6 months or so when everyone that is likely to spend lots on PC parts is likely to be spending lots on the new CPU/GPU parts?

But then I guess they might be the people that wouldn't worry about throwing stuff away instead of selling it on.

My other question, is why take a case that isn't ideal for watercooling and mod it to make it pretty good? Why not buy something like a TJ07/800D or one of the XSPC cases or Mountain Mod cases that can fit watercooling in easier.
I believe the XSPC H1 Cube can fit 5 x 360mm rads in. Why not use that? Surely 5 x 360mm is better than 2 x 360mm and a 280mm?

I get why people doing it themselves may want to mod a case. I can understand why you guy would want to do it, but why would someone want to buy one that has been pre-done?
I understand it would be expensive, but if the PC performs so impressively I'm guessing you're not going to be using an Athlon II X2 with onboard graphics so there's a chance it's going to be a bit pricey anyway.

This is not to say I'm not interested, just a bit confused.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
Your points are valid ones some of the choices come down to stock availability as we need to be able to sell something that we have good stock options on, The Lian-Li is a very good case in my opinion, Lian-Li have taken some serious steps in improving their cases which will be shown here in time.

We could use the TJ07 or the 800D just as you have suggested but if you look on this forum or any other hardware enthusiast forum these cases have been water cooled time and again, we wanted to use something that looks sleek and is capable of carrying enough cooling hardware to be able to fit a real powerhouse inside it.

We have chosen the Lian-Li due to the improvements that they have made to the case. We saw its potential where others might not. Keep checking back for the updates on what we are doing we may just impress you with what this case is capable of!

Soldato
We could use the TJ07 or the 800D just as you have suggested but if you look on this forum or any other hardware enthusiast forum these cases have been water cooled time and again

Now I realise I'm going to come across as awkward here, but does this point extend to the rest of the hardware or just the case?
Are you going to avoid i5 2500K and i7 2600K chips because they're quite common in builds?
Are you going to avoid Asus and Gigabyte boards due to their popularity?
Are you going to be avoiding EK watercooling parts due to them being very common watercooling components?
How about DDC and D5 pumps?

See, told you that was gonna come across as me being awkward :)

Back
Top Bottom