Oculus CV1 content

Soldato
I always used https://share.oculus.com/ when I had my DK2 but read this is no longer supported for CV1

Are there similar sites or have I read incorrect info and Oculus Share will still be used?

It's all through Oculus Home now within VR itself.

Hrmm thats a bit disappointing as there is a ton of stuff on there. The Apollo 11 VR experience that is £10 (approx) on Oculus Home you can experience 75% of for free on there.

I hope developers will still release demo experiences on oculus home. (I havent checked the last couple of days maybe they have lol)

Heres a question: can you use 05. , 0.6 , 0.8 runtimes with the CV1 ? (that opens the door to all those demos)

Don
Runtime 1.3 is supposedly backwards compatible with earlier runtimes but the content can't use extended mode. I'm guessing that the runtime switcher will (or has, not sure) been updated.

Soldato
Runtime 1.3 is supposedly backwards compatible with earlier runtimes but the content can't use extended mode. I'm guessing that the runtime switcher will (or has, not sure) been updated.

From what I gathered together before flipping my cv1, 1.3 is not backwards compatible they have to be updated, recompiled, whatever with the new SDK.

There are a few people on reddit who have updated old tech demos.

Did not find any runtime switcher for cv1.

Associate
This is really disappointing to me :(

Just received my CV1 yesterday, and discovered that i can only run games through the Oculus Home Store (mostly payed content).

There was so many demos, games etc that i wanted to play that was available on DK2 either through OculusShare or just directly from websites. So many cool looking horror games, now though i can't test any of them out :(

Looks like we will have to wait for all the developers that released DK2 builds to recompile and re-release CV1 builds, and then hope they don't put a silly price tag on everything, especially for short demos.

Soldato
OP
This is really disappointing to me :(

Just received my CV1 yesterday, and discovered that i can only run games through the Oculus Home Store (mostly payed content).

There was so many demos, games etc that i wanted to play that was available on DK2 either through OculusShare or just directly from websites. So many cool looking horror games, now though i can't test any of them out :(

Looks like we will have to wait for all the developers that released DK2 builds to recompile and re-release CV1 builds, and then hope they don't put a silly price tag on everything, especially for short demos.

This could be a deal breaker for me. I paid for about 3 or 4 games, the rest were freeware or demos or just free, some were just modded games i already have (isolation, Richard burns rally, Quake)

Don
Give it time. I'm sure there will be tons of free content. Remember, that most of the independent devs are in the same boat as the rest of us with regards to receiving their hardware.

Soldato
There's an option in the Home settings to 'unlock' 3rd party content. Why it isn't on by default... That's how you play Project Cars on Steam.

This.

Oculus Home is obviously where you get directed by default but it's no hassle to change one setting then play whatever game you want that supports the latest SDK.

Project Cars from Steam, or FlyInside plugin for FSX or Live For Speed (as well as many others) work fine without being re-bought through Oculus Home.

Associate
This.

Oculus Home is obviously where you get directed by default but it's no hassle to change one setting then play whatever game you want that supports the latest SDK.

Project Cars from Steam, or FlyInside plugin for FSX or Live For Speed (as well as many others) work fine without being re-bought through Oculus Home.

OK great, good to know that we can play games without the oculus store, but now its just a sit and wait game while devs start to re-compile there game releases to the new sdk. This could take a long time as most still have not received their headsets :(

One question, as I'm having both oculus and hive. I guess the best place for me to buy games in VR would be on SteamVR right? Then i can play them on either headsets. I was thinking of buying some games on the oculus store such as Vanishing of Ethan and Dreadhalls, but then realised it would be better if i didn't spend money on oculus store as they wouldn't be compatible with the HIVE!!

So i guess i should get Ethan on steam, but i can't find dreadhalls on steam, assuming this is a oculus exclusive? This game was free when i had my dk1, now they are charging quite a bit for it on the oculus store :(

Associate
Yep from free to £10 for the same game :(

At most these type of tech demos should be 79p or max £1-3. Just like the visitor which is 79p. I can understand big studio complete games being a lot more but the indie stuff is priced quite high and they all add up quite quickly.

Soldato
OK great, good to know that we can play games without the oculus store, but now its just a sit and wait game while devs start to re-compile there game releases to the new sdk. This could take a long time as most still have not received their headsets :(

One question, as I'm having both oculus and hive. I guess the best place for me to buy games in VR would be on SteamVR right? Then i can play them on either headsets. I was thinking of buying some games on the oculus store such as Vanishing of Ethan and Dreadhalls, but then realised it would be better if i didn't spend money on oculus store as they wouldn't be compatible with the HIVE!!

So i guess i should get Ethan on steam, but i can't find dreadhalls on steam, assuming this is a oculus exclusive? This game was free when i had my dk1, now they are charging quite a bit for it on the oculus store :(

It depends on the games, there's also a tool that allows you to run Oculus apps on the Vive now too, so you can buy games on Home and play them on the Vive as well, but if a game is on steam and only supports the Vive then it won't run on the Rift... but then project cars on steam only supports the Rift

Last edited:
Associate
It depends on the games, there's also a tool that allows you to run Oculus apps on the Vive now too, so you can buy games on Home and play them on the Vive as well, but if a game is on steam and only supports the Vive then it won't run on the Rift... but then project cars on steam only supports the Rift

Cool, thats good to know, thanks for the update.

Back
Top Bottom