Oculus reveal a 140 degree varifocal headset prototype

Associate
Could this be a glimpse at the tech for cv2?
I'm intrigued with the varifocal screens, didn't think we would see this so soon in a prototype roughly the same size as the cv1.

Associate
Wow, that would be a step up. I'm assuming that this won't introduce things like a screen door effect or geometry aberrations.

Soldato
Wow, that would be a step up. I'm assuming that this won't introduce things like a screen door effect or geometry aberrations.

Current headsets already have screen door effect, how bad it is on a next gen headset will be a function of the resolution of the panels used and the optics.

Associate
Yes, you're right of course. I didn't write that accurately.
I meant to say that I hope that the increased fov doesn't exaggerate the screen door effect (which I don't think is too bad on the Rift as you mostly focus at distance). Also I hope it doesn't create issues with the peripheral geometry the way I hear the Pimax does.

Soldato
One of the things I like about current VR is the fixed focus. People like me with age related presbyopia find it a convenience not to have to switch between reading and distant glasses while playing VR. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Yes, you're right of course. I didn't write that accurately.
I meant to say that I hope that the increased fov doesn't exaggerate the screen door effect (which I don't think is too bad on the Rift as you mostly focus at distance). Also I hope it doesn't create issues with the peripheral geometry the way I hear the Pimax does.

The pimax doesnt have that problem either according to the last 3 versions of the prototype. It was unoptimised optics in one of the really early versions that people were reporting that particular issue with. If even they've managed to fix it you would like to think Oculus wouldn't release a headset with that issue.

You would also hope a rift v2 would be at least 4k per eye - there are already hints at 4k or even 8k headsets being worked on at google and apple so it would be a pretty epic fail if Oculus fail to increase their resolution by at least 50% to cover the increase in FOV.

Soldato
I expect the 2nd generation headsets to have a significant resolution increase, but only if they can also nail eye tracking with foveated rendering, without it the gpu requirements would just be mental and far beyond what would be considered "mainstream" when those headsets launch.

The impact foveated rendering (fixed or tracked) can have is huge, it would be like getting the same performance on current gen headsets from a GTX 1060, than you do from a 1080 Ti.

Last edited:
Associate
The pimax doesnt have that problem either according to the last 3 versions of the prototype. It was unoptimised optics in one of the really early versions that people were reporting that particular issue with. If even they've managed to fix it you would like to think Oculus wouldn't release a headset with that issue.

You would also hope a rift v2 would be at least 4k per eye - there are already hints at 4k or even 8k headsets being worked on at google and apple so it would be a pretty epic fail if Oculus fail to increase their resolution by at least 50% to cover the increase in FOV.

There's a slide on the F8 conference video that states 4k x 4k per eye.

Let's hope CV2 will be all that they're saying, as I will buy it on day one! :)

Back
Top Bottom