Oculus Rift with a ASUS FX504GM EN150T Glitching

Associate
OP
@melmac - Thanks again for your reply.

I've not run the setup each time. In fact this was only the second time I've gone through the Oculus setup from the beginning. I always redo the sensors through guardian though.

Q: Plug Docking station into a USB 3 port, One sensor and one headset into the docking station and the other sensor into the free USB 3 port.
A: Yep, tried this configuration as you mentioned (believe I'd done it before, but checked once again) with the headset USB going into the USB 3.0 of the docking station (HDMI plug still going into the laptop - nowhere else to go), along with a single sensor in the docking station USB 3.0 and the 2nd sensor in the remaining USB 3.0 of the laptop. Still the same, but thanks for helping.

Anyhow, spoke to ASUS this morning and they believe I have a hardware fault and have asked I send the laptop into them for assessment and repair. I've also asked that they test the laptop with an Oculus.

Will update when I hear more.

Thanks,

James

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@SupraWez - Thank you for your message. I haven't yet tried the single sensor option, as it didn't seem to let me at the time, but seeing @melmac post looks like there is a way, so I can certainly give this a go later this evening before sending off the laptop to ASUS tomorrow morning.

I see 2 tests I can perform with 2 x USB 3.0 & 1 x USB 2.0 sockets available:

1) I will try the headset and 1 sensor in each of the USB 3.0 sockets, leaving the USB 2.0 unused.

2) I'll then try the headset in a USB 3.0, with the 1 sensor in USB 2.0, leaving a USB 3.0 unused.

Kindest regards,

James

Soldato
Download the USB Tree Viewer too, I found it very useful when testing VR setup and testing extension leads etc.

The Rift headset actually has a USB 2 hub in it :)

Soldato
@melmac - Thanks again for your reply.

I've not run the setup each time. In fact this was only the second time I've gone through the Oculus setup from the beginning. I always redo the sensors through guardian though.

Q: Plug Docking station into a USB 3 port, One sensor and one headset into the docking station and the other sensor into the free USB 3 port.
A: Yep, tried this configuration as you mentioned (believe I'd done it before, but checked once again) with the headset USB going into the USB 3.0 of the docking station (HDMI plug still going into the laptop - nowhere else to go), along with a single sensor in the docking station USB 3.0 and the 2nd sensor in the remaining USB 3.0 of the laptop. Still the same, but thanks for helping.

Anyhow, spoke to ASUS this morning and they believe I have a hardware fault and have asked I send the laptop into them for assessment and repair. I've also asked that they test the laptop with an Oculus.

Will update when I hear more.

Thanks,

James

It could be the docking station just doesn't work with the Rift. I will take a look later when I have time, but, I seem to remember there been a couple of recommended USB hubs to use with the Rift on laptops that haven't enough USB ports.

But, since the laptop might be faulty, it might not be worth buying a hub just to test out.

Hope it is a faulty Laptop and it does work when you get it back.

Oh, about VR ready, It just means that it has a GPU capable of running a VR headset.

Do you know anyone near you with a HTC Vive?

Associate
OP
@melmac - Thank you for your reply.

I did not buy the docking station for the rift, but for running a dual monitor setup. I currently have the docking station powered off and all tests have been without unless I'm trying something where I needed to use it.

On the "VR Ready" bit, the manufacturers websites and all other sales outlets (excluding Overclocker) state the item is "VR Ready".

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-TUF-Gaming-FX504/

"new gaming technologies, and breakthrough VR immersion wherever you game"

I could have easily purchased a desktop, but since ASUS have been working with Oculus since 2015 I would assume when they state VR, they mean at least the 2 main players in HTC & Oculus. As a customer I had no reason to question this especially with the laptop being in the recommended specification and stating VR ready. Even if you type "VR Ready" into Google by definition it mentions the Oculs. I just feel it's misleading, as anyone can check the graphics cards.

Kindest regards,

James

Soldato
@melmac - Thank you for your reply.

I did not buy the docking station for the rift, but for running a dual monitor setup. I currently have the docking station powered off and all tests have been without unless I'm trying something where I needed to use it.

On the "VR Ready" bit, the manufacturers websites and all other sales outlets (excluding Overclocker) state the item is "VR Ready".

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-TUF-Gaming-FX504/

"new gaming technologies, and breakthrough VR immersion wherever you game"

I could have easily purchased a desktop, but since ASUS have been working with Oculus since 2015 I would assume when they state VR, they mean at least the 2 main players in HTC & Oculus. As a customer I had no reason to question this especially with the laptop being in the recommended specification and stating VR ready. Even if you type "VR Ready" into Google by definition it mentions the Oculs. I just feel it's misleading, as anyone can check the graphics cards.

Kindest regards,

James

I know you didn't buy the docking station for the Rift, I was just saying that there was no point in buying a Hub that's actually proven to work with the Rift now that you are returning the laptop.

Regarding VR Ready. That paragraph you quoted from is just regarding the GPU. And yes, Asus have been working with Oculus, that's why they have a range of Oculus Ready PCs and Laptops. It's also why Oculus and Asus show up when you search for 'VR Ready' in Google.

Here is what VR ready actually means

https://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/technology/vr/vr-ready-program

It only applies to the GPU.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So...after sending the unit to the manufacturer for repair, it being briefly looked at by BCS (3rd party of ASUS), it being returned still with the fault (ASUS didn't check with an Oculus or call before returning), ASUS management insisting it should work, blame being passed from AO.com to manufacturer, manufacturer to Oculus and getting nowhere. AO.com wouldn't even return my calls. A senior manager called Peter from ASUS didn't call me either when I was assured he would. AO.com being sympathetic, but not helping with any direction, was just being left and hoping I'd give up.

In the end, I had no choice after weeks of waiting and phone calls to AO.com and ASUS to contact Citizens Advice (30th Jan). I was firstly advised to stop making calls to AO.com - From the which website I crafted a letter to state the item wasn't satisfactory quality or fit for purpose and that they had 14 days to issue a refund, as they had already failed one time to repair.

I had to wait just over a week for someone from AO.com to even call me back, which was Wednesday this week. On that day I was told as over 30 days I can only get a repair...very frustrating. I then called up requesting to make it clear they (AO.com) had only 7 days remaining, as I would be taking the issue to the ombudsman (as advised by Citizens Advice) and then....I finally received a refund and the laptop was collected from my home.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

AO.com are great on the phone, polite, friendly, but there's no ownership if you have a problem.

Anyway, I'm now on the lookout for a new PC, I will be choosing the manufacturer carefully, the sales outlet carefully and of course the unit, which I now feel I'm better to go with a base unit rather than a laptop, even though I wanted a laptop for convenience. I have a budget of £1300. Does anyone have a good recommendation? Oh and did I mention...it has to work with an Oculus :)

Back
Top Bottom