OCZ Vertex Owners Thread - Test Results **Updated 15 Mar 2009**

A few ATTO benchmarks from different drives I have here:-

First a 32GB IDE MTRON SSD in my samsung laptop running windows 7 beta:-

atto_mtronidessd.jpg

Second a 300GB WD Velociraptor in my main machine running XP SP3:-

atto_velociraptor.jpg

Lastly, new 60GB OCZ Vertex in my main machine running XP SP3:-

atto_vertexssd.jpg

Main machine is a Asus P5e3 X38 motherboard, with Q6600.

At the moment not too happy about the performance of the vertex drive, I am hoping that there are some machine settings that I can tweak to improve both the read and write performance.

Update 7th March 2009

Right, I have a small update for everyone:-

People were saying it may be a controller issue i.e. ICH9R, but there is pretty much no difference between this and AMD SB750, the benchmark results were almost identicle.

Aligning the partition seems to make little or no difference in either scenarios.

The biggest benefit came from enabling write cache on Windows XP. The below ATTO result is after I have been through all the various SSD tweaks, i.e. disabling the pagefile, aligning the partition, enabling write cache, disabling indexing services etc:-

atto_vertexssd_writecache.jpg

The write speeds now seem to be at a more acceptable level and I am now feeling a little happier about purchasing one of these drives. I dont know why OCZ dont put all of these steps in a printout inside the vertex box. It would save everyone a lot of faffing about.

Update 15th March 2009

Just updated with the new firmware which was a pain in the a$$. Note to anyone else, if you have the nvidia SATA drivers installed the OCZ flashing tool will not work. Write speed seems quicker, although read speeds havent changed much.

atto_vertexssd_1199.jpg

Update 23rd March 2009

Just updated with the new firmware version 1275. Not really too much of a speed difference. Upgrade process was painless now I know to uninstall the nvidia SATA drivers and re-install the standard ones for the flash tool to work.

atto_vertexssd_1275.jpg

Last edited:
How many I/O operations per second are you getting?
Will try to test later on this evening.

Did you follow the guide on the OCZ forum to align your partition correctly?
No, the current benchmarks above are when the drive has been formatted from the XP setup screen with a standard NTFS partition. I am going to re-format this evening aligning the partition, then retest to see if this improves the performance.

Right, I have re-aligned the partition and re-formatted. This seems to have made no difference at all in the ATTO benchmarks. I am going to update the mboard bios and enable write cache later and will re-post some benchmarks.

New 1275 firmware is due for release tomorrow which promises further speed increases. I will update the benchmarks as soon as it is released to give people an idea whether it is worth upgrading. Tony from the OCZ forum has reported the following increases:-

1199 Firmware: single drive 1199 150 writes 225 reads
1275 Firmware: single drive 1275 200 writes 250 reads

Back
Top Bottom