Odd Boot Problems

Associate
Installed a new CPU cooler recently, all was working fine for about a day.

Now when I power up the PC it gets stuck on the Asus mobo welcome screen or fails to show anything at all after that. Windows 7 does not load.

The fans are all running. I can access the BIOS when I reinsert the CMOS battery but once I've made any changes and restart it doesn't boot up properly, again freezing after the welcome screen. I've tried setting boot priority to DVD first to attempt a startup repair using my win7 dvd but it doesn't get to that stage.

All settings are at default, no overclock.

I have not changed any other hardware apart from the cooler so I am at a loss what to try.

Soldato
did you have to take the motherboard out to install the cooler, if so did you secure all the screws back down.

have you tried running with just 1 stick of memory in place.

does it do the same if you try and get into safe mode.

Associate
OP
Yep I had to remove the mobo to install the backplate. All screws put back in afterwards.

I can't get to safe mode at all.

My win7 installation DVD gets to "press any key to boot from DVD" then just stops after the white loading bar finishes.

Using 1 RAM stick didn't resolve the issue.

It's really strange as I didn't change any component besides the fan - why does it affect windows? :confused::confused:

Associate
OP
Reset BIOS to default settings, managed to repair windows 7 install and booted to desktop. However, on the next restart, it gets stuck on the BIOS welcome screen again.

Double checked the connectors all seems ok....

Soldato
Is there not a button you can press to show the POST screen instead of the ASUS welcome one, it might let you know where its getting stuck on. Also unplug any USB devices apart from mouse/keyboard (I had same issue with an Arctic USB fan that would stop the PC on POST unless i unplugged it first)

Soldato
Is there not a button you can press to show the POST screen instead of the ASUS welcome one, it might let you know where its getting stuck on. Also unplug any USB devices apart from mouse/keyboard (I had same issue with an Arctic USB fan that would stop the PC on POST unless i unplugged it first)

Usually the tab key AFAIK

Mark

Back
Top Bottom