Odd mapped network drive / program opening issue

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I've mapped a network drive to Z:/ where there are some files on another computer but Windows is messing up entering the folder that is mapped as the drive. Normally you would double click the mapped network drive and it will open as if you were double clicking your C:/ drive. Instead I am getting the 'Open With' box that you get when you double click a file that Windows doesn't recognise, with the dialogue 'Choose the file you want to open the file with: File: Z:/'

There is a list of programs like IE and Notepad but the 'Always use this program' box is greyed out.

If I right click and go to Open it will browse the folder no problems but I want to point a program to the mapped drive. The top of the right click menu is Autoplay.

Any ideas?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
That's a bit bizarre, there is an autorun.inf in each of the folders, I have 4 mapped network drives and they all do the same. How did that get in there then? Is that what's causing it?

Edit: I deleted the autoruns but it's still going to the 'open with' box

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd say so. Double clicking invokes the default action (autorun) - that gets its settings from autorun.inf. If those settings are missing/incorrect/screwed - then you could possibly get what you're seeing.

[edit]Just seen your edit. You'll now need to disconnect and reconnect them.

Back
Top Bottom