Off to Thailand for 3 weeks... share your tips and advice please!

Soldato
Don't get me wrong here... If you've never been to Asia before then the chances are you will LOVE Thailand. You will be well and truly in the "honeymoon period", and it will be some time before you begin to see the cracks in something which will initially seem perfect.

Caporegime
Have always wanted to go, ideally to spend a few weeks in a Muay Thai camp, the one thing that does worry me is the level of corruption - it almost seems like its ingrained in their culture that its totally fine to lie, cheat and scam people.

Though I am going on second hand information it seems that if you have a traffic accident then as a white person you'll have to pay up if the accident involved a local regardless of fault. The police will enforce this apparently - they'll also happily arrest someone on trumped up charges and essentially force a bribe out of them. Jet ski hire places will bill lots extra for 'damage' that was there in the first place. Taking drugs is rather silly - again it will give the police an excuse to extract a big bribe.
Some shop at the airport has a shoplifting scam - if you buy a few things they'll deliberately not bill you for an item at the checkout then will call the police and have you arrested, hefty bribe time again including via a dubious lawyer/translator and no doubt the shop gets a kickback.
Even heard of a case where some dodgy electrics installed in a holiday home caused it to burn down - the couple who had rented the home were arrested and forced to compensate the owner...

No doubt its a beautiful country and still worth a visit but it does seem you have to be very very careful as a decent portion of the locals are, despite the smiles, morally bankrupt.

Soldato
Just booked flights for me and the gf , it'll be my third visit to Thailand but her first, now I just need to plan where we should go in the time we have there and get some hotels and flights booked

Soldato
Just booked flights for me and the gf , it'll be my third visit to Thailand but her first, now I just need to plan where we should go in the time we have there and get some hotels and flights booked

Tbh thailand is the last place I'd take a girlfriend. There are places in SEA with just as good beaches/partys etc, only without the chavs/gap-yars/seediness.

May cost you an extra ton by plane, but it would be well worth the money.

Last edited:
Soldato

West Railay - Heaven
Phi Phi Lay - Stay on Longbeach - Heaven

That's 2 amazing places. My other half said Koh Samui is a waste of time, don't bother.

Tbh thailand is the last place I'd take a girlfriend. There are places in SEA with just as good beaches/partys etc, only without the chavs/gap-yars/seediness.

Well you're missing out.

Bali should be on teh list though, it's apparently stunning!

Soldato

A lot of the seediness etc are avoidable or at least exposure to it can be limited to a certain degree, besides she wants to see a little of the seediness for herself lol

West Railay - Heaven
Phi Phi Lay - Stay on Longbeach - Heaven

That's 2 amazing places. My other half said Koh Samui is a waste of time, don't bother.

Well you're missing out.

Bali should be on teh list though, it's apparently stunning!

I've stayed on phi phi don and enjoyed it there, I've also stayed in Chaweng area of Samui and it wasn't amazing but I still had a blast, will probably find a nice resort whilst there

Caporegime
OP
Well guys, i'm back! To summarize:

Trip there: Was pretty good, Oman Air were courteous and comfortable, and the stewardesses liked us and plied us with red wine. Passed pretty quickly.

Koh Samui: beautiful beach but a sleazy dive of a nightlife. Was pretty fed up of it after the first 3 days, but we stayed around 6 days. Too long, and I advise anyone else to bear that in mind if you are planning on going out to party. Everyone wants something from you and usually get passive aggressive when they don't get it, and the women are 99.99% freelance hookers. The place also really, really stinks. Not somewhere i'd go back to I think.

Koh Tao: My highlight of the whole holiday, and the thing I will take through my life with me. We went diving at Ban's Diving Resort, and once we had completed our Open Water divers we loved it so much that we stayed and completed the Advanced Open Water Diver course. Highlight was diving with a green turtle, and did a night dive which was a bit nerve-wracking. However, I can now dive up to 30-40m at any time, anywhere in the world! Instructor was also hilarious, though often unintentionally so... just a complete character and undiluted sexist filth in his attitudes towards women, which provided much amusement. I recommend this island and a diving course to everyone. However, it did suffer from the usual Island species of Thai, who seem to have about 3 braincells and appalling manners with any form of customer service.

Kanchanaburi:: Quaint little place and we spent 2 days there, which felt enough. People much friendlier than anywhere else we went and seemed genuinely curious and warm-hearted towards foreigners. Barring the local nightclub, where we ended up having to leave before we inadvertantly ****ed off a few huge military guys who couldn't speak English and kept asking the girls we were with what our problem was. Again, good experience, but I wouldn't hurry back.

Bangkok: Very big, very dirty, fair bit to do if you like sightseeing and shopping. I did half a days sightseeing and spent the rest of the week clubbing... again, decent fun, great to see and experience, but much more expensive than the rest of Thailand and I probably wouldn't go back there in a hurry.

Trip back: Was a bit of a nightmare... had a 9 hour stopover in Muskat, Oman, which is as you can imagine a pretty boring airport to spend any amount of time in, being in Arabland. On the second flight I had an entire row of 4 seats to myself though, could stretch out like first class.

Overall, it was a good holiday. Do I like Thailand? Yes and No. For the most part I didn't meet many firendly people... as I said earlier almost everyone you come into contact with as a tourist wants something from you, and the amount of hassle you get in places like Koh Samui can border on the ridiculous... Thai people there on the islands generally have zero respect for you or your privacy and are very rude. But then again, I guess in the main touristy parts they come into contact with a large amount of badly behaved foreigners. Either way, I didn't enjoy the general atmosphere there in the places we stayed in the most, Koh Samui and Bangkok.

One thing worth mentioning are the stray dogs... the country is plagued with them and they are VERY aggressive, especially those with rabies which are quite frankly scary mofos. I was attacked twice and luckily didn't get bitten, but beware of any dark roads or alleyways when there are few people around, because without warning dogs can appear and go mental. If you are lucky, they are non-rabies dogs protecting their territory and are usually noticeable by the barking and posturing... if not, you have two, three or more silent mutts running after you or your scooter with the only intention of dragging you off it and savaging you. Be careful, and try and always take transport home late at night, even if it costs you a few extra quid. Better safe than in hospital for weeks.

Koh Tao was again the highlight and id love to go back and do a 6 month Dive Masters course... I may do in the future, who knows. I certainly intend on doing more diving in future.

Any reports from any other OCUK'ers who went there around the same time as I did then? :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Great stuff, glad you enjoyed it.

Koh Tao sounds good, I'm looking at doing my diving course over there instead of spending £400-450 over here. Plus you do it water that isn't in single figures :p

Still for Thailand beauty you want W. Railay Beach and Long Beach on Koh Phi Phi Don!

Booked my flight to bangkok for xmas, the GF is working in Bangkok the week before and we are off to the same places as last year for xmas and new year (see above paragraph). Cannot wait.

One last thing: PICS!!!!!!!

Soldato
One thing worth mentioning are the stray dogs... the country is plagued with them and they are VERY aggressive, especially those with rabies which are quite frankly scary mofos. I was attacked twice and luckily didn't get bitten, but beware of any dark roads or alleyways when there are few people around, because without warning dogs can appear and go mental. If you are lucky, they are non-rabies dogs protecting their territory and are usually noticeable by the barking and posturing... if not, you have two, three or more silent mutts running after you or your scooter with the only intention of dragging you off it and savaging you. Be careful, and try and always take transport home late at night, even if it costs you a few extra quid. Better safe than in hospital for weeks.

I'd say you were pretty unlucky to even be barked at. Stray dogs usually ignore people unless begging for food. When I was there, at first I was wary because I'm only used to aggressive dogs in England, but I soon found out that they ignore you nearly all the time. They might only see you as a threat if you act scared of them.

Caporegime
OP
I'd say you were pretty unlucky to even be barked at. Stray dogs usually ignore people unless begging for food. When I was there, at first I was wary because I'm only used to aggressive dogs in England, but I soon found out that they ignore you nearly all the time. They might only see you as a threat if you act scared of them.

Not true according to the travellers and locals I talked to... they are a menace to everyone, and apparently the only reason they aren't rounded up and shot on a regular basis is because the Thai King has a soft spot for them, and so people leave them alone.

Soldato
Not true according to the travellers and locals I talked to... they are a menace to everyone, and apparently the only reason they aren't rounded up and shot on a regular basis is because the Thai King has a soft spot for them, and so people leave them alone.

I guess you only spoken to unlucky people and/or I only spoke to lucky people. I found all of them really tame. Once one barked at me but that was it. I may have accidentally stood on it. I only ever saw ones with collars causing trouble because he stole a stray dogs floor chicken.

Back
Top Bottom