Office Chair - Staples Kashmir has finally become uncomfortable!

Soldato
Sadly it looks as though the Staples Kashmir has finally about died, the back has gone hard, creaks with every movement and one of the structurak armrests has a huge crack in it, it's only a matter of time :(

What i'll be using sdaid chair for:

• I work 5 x 12 hour shifts a week from home (nights) so usual office/pc based work in comfort.
  • PC/Console gaming
  • TV/any viewing, so ideally needs to recline a certain amount for comfort, the old Kashmir does such a good angle!
  • I have been known to nod off in the chair every once in a while or if I have finished work and not wanting to wake the other half.
Budget I guess upto £500, employers have said they'd happily pay for it or pay a fair/substantial amount of a chair with no amounts mentioned, so working a bit blind, but that'd be a rough high price point.

No gaming chairs, they don't look at all comfortable for long term sitting/head support if you do lean back or recline at all, no leatherette/pleather the kashmir is a perfect material or a leather/mesh one could work.

I'm just under 6 foot, around 13 stone so not tall or "big" so no special requirements needed there, I'm just a bit stuck on ideas at the moment so thought it was worth an ask here!

Google “refurbished herman miller office chair”

They are meant to be “the” brand to get… it’s up to you if you get one but a supplier of them will have other top brands available.

I have a refurbed steelcase please v2, which I had to get at the start of lockdown as the leather melted on my 20 year old plus staples office chair.

When it comes to price, I would pay thousands now for chair, normally I have to spend more time in the chair than on the sofa or in bed, so I think of it as a mattress price range.

Thankfully the prices have dropped massively now, as anyone that wanted/needed a good chair would have got them.. I paid £900 for mine and it’s worth every penny.

The other option would be a height adjustment desk, I’m waiting to redecorate the office/spare room or my desk to die before I get one, thou it may be more difficult for me as I require multiple large screen monitors and space for three laptops.

Wow! You've done well to make a Kashmir last so long. It must be 8+ years since they stopped selling them.

I always found them to be the most fantastically comfortable chairs - but they weren't genuinely good quality. I think I had two, and each lasted 2 years or less. On the other hand, my Noble has lasted 5 years so far and no real sign of aging. But it's not as comfortable (but then sitting on a cloud wouldn't be as comfy as a Kashmir).

Here's a list of office chair manufacturer websites which might help your research. If you don't might second hand, then your local office clearance company might be worth a look, there are warehouses full of office chairs out there.

I picked up a second hand Haworth Zody for £25 ... I thought the guy had missed a zero off the price tag! I needed to buy some replacement arm pads for it for the grand total of £35. It's so comfy, it's like sitting on an angels face

I'd also go for a Herman Miller. I've had mine for about 20 years, they're pretty indestructable and you can find parts easilly if you do break something.

Credit to you. I couldn't imagine doing 12hrs at a desk!

Definitely invest in a good chair. I'd also consider a standing desk if you have the means to allow you to stand for a bit during your shift.

Back
Top Bottom