Office Chair vs. Gaming Chair

Associate
I bought a HM Embody gaming chair about 7 months ago after spending years trying cheaper chairs. prior to buying I was of the mindset that no chair is worth spending that amount of money on and it is a lot for a chair!

Seven months later it is without any doubt the best chair I have ever owned. Its very adjustable, extremely comfortable when sat for long periods. After living with lower back pain for years, after getting this chair the lower back problems have almost disappeared.

I'm sorry to say I'm now one of those people who would recommend without hesitation one of these chairs if you can afford it.

Associate
I bought a HM Embody gaming chair about 7 months ago after spending years trying cheaper chairs. prior to buying I was of the mindset that no chair is worth spending that amount of money on and it is a lot for a chair!

Seven months later it is without any doubt the best chair I have ever owned. Its very adjustable, extremely comfortable when sat for long periods. After living with lower back pain for years, after getting this chair the lower back problems have almost disappeared.

I'm sorry to say I'm now one of those people who would recommend without hesitation one of these chairs if you can afford it.
Pretty much the same story for me. I mainly wfh and my back is much better since I got the Embody.

Soldato
How do you find the seat pan? I have the Logitech Gaming Edition boxed up in the garage waiting to be collected by HM.
Just couldn't get on with it, found the seat pan to be a nightmare, it felt like there were bands of pressure points across it.
The back support is unreal though, shame.

The search continues :(
I like it. Feels to me like you get the best of both worlds between mesh and cushion. Shame you didn't get on with it :( Not sure there's anything out there quite like an Embody still.

Associate

I bought an Embody (standard office spec) during Covid lockdown for use at home. I wish I'd bought a couple so I could have one in the office as well. They were under £900 at the time, too. I find it really frustrating that only the Logitech version is generally available for retail customers. I was told the standard Embody wasn't certified for home use due to some fire safety certification. I've no idea whether that's true.

Soldato
After months of searching, I finally managed to get a decent deal on a 2nd hand Aeron. It's like a different world compared to the gaming chair I had before. Had it been a better brand like Noble then maybe it would have been a different story.

Only thing I need to work out is all the adjustments to get it just right.

Soldato
Yeah there is just no comparison - gaming chairs is form over function, with HM the opposite(altough some of them look really nice, like Embody)

Depends what you mean by 'gaming chair'.

Still rocking my secret lab titan evo, must be about two years now and I can't fault it.

Associate
Im in the process of setting up the spare room as a gaming room after years of just playing from the sofa, im going to need a chair but have no idea what i'll need, is there somewhere i can go and try some of the chairs recommended here?

Soldato
I bought an Embody (standard office spec) during Covid lockdown for use at home. I wish I'd bought a couple so I could have one in the office as well. They were under £900 at the time, too. I find it really frustrating that only the Logitech version is generally available for retail customers. I was told the standard Embody wasn't certified for home use due to some fire safety certification. I've no idea whether that's true.

You know what I’m in the exact same boat. They’ve shot up. Hindsight. So frustrating.

Associate

I have a HM Aeron and still find it very comfortable. I think the Embody will be my next purchase

Associate
Been reading through this thread and found a lot of hate for gaming chairs, lol. Years ago I had a cheap gaming chair but it had thick padding and boy was it comfortable but I feel for the hype and started looking at this ergonomic chairs and about 5/7 years ago I bought one from Autonomous, ErgoPlus I think. I still use it but am waiting for a new Noble Hero chair from OCUK.
I find this ergonomic chair to hard on the arse, mesh on the back isn't great and does nothing to help my loer back pain. The chair has levers to do everything but I can't get them to a comfortable position, not keen on the arm rests either. Don't get me wrong I think it is a good chair but for my needs I need another one with padding. I'm also disabled with mobility problems which doesn't help.
I do have a question, the chair I am waiting on is the Noble Fallout one and there are cushions available as an extra. Do these cushions make a difference? I there is one for lower back and one for neck I think. Thanks for any advice.

Associate
OP
Do you have a comparison to something from Steelcase/HM/Humanscale? It may be a good chair, I just wonder how it fares in comparison with them.

There is no comparison. Gaming chairs all of them are rubbish and cheap tat. Anyone whos made the move to a proper chair, to something like a Steelcase/HM will tell you that.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone tried an Orangebox Do chair? They keep showing up on marketplace for < £100, tempted to try one out but it’s hard to tell how upright you can sit in it

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone tried an Orangebox Do chair? They keep showing up on marketplace for < £100, tempted to try one out but it’s hard to tell how upright you can sit in it
From Which? review:
'The build quality of this chair is good - it’s sturdy, strong and durable compared with other models we’ve tested. It performed well in our front and rear overturn tests, so you don’t run the risk of tipping over if you recline too far. However, we did note that some of the handles, edges and corners had sharp, unrounded edges that could pose a risk to the user. There’s also a spot in the chair where you could trap a finger or thumb if you weren’t being careful.'

The Flexispot BS8 can be had on Marketplace or the Bay for similar money and Which? gave it a Best Buy:
'This Flexispot chair received four stars out of five in our ergonomic assessment, with our experts confirming it would be a good choice for a home office. Our experts also commented that lumbar support is very good, which helps to increase the chair’s overall comfort. They felt that the seat depth would support the back of a person’s legs without digging in behind their knees.'

Last edited:
Soldato
HM Embody looks incredible but don’t think I can justify 1.5k.
Anything close to this for sub 1k price range?
Currently using an Ikea office chair: MARKUS Office chair, which is fine but considering an upgrade since working from home more. Also like to game time allowing but sit for prolonged periods working mostly.

Soldato
I’m looking at a HM Embody Logitech G chair. Seems like it’ll do the job. Anyone had any experience of it or it’s close relation, the standard Embody?

E: Ignore. I found the search function… ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom