*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
There doesn't seem to be lots of comparisons online but the ones I have seen seem to rate it highly.

Its air insulated rather than ceramic and has the easy ash pan like the Kettles so would be easier to move around than a BGE and no messing with sweeping ash out.
Still I've got a while till I order so plenty of time for more reviews/comparisons to be made.

Have you seen this comparison?

Soldato
Are the charcoal baskets any good on the weber? My weber came with rails (which I rarely use and I just put the coals to the side of the kettle) but my wife has bought be some baskets but not sure if I will ever use them!

Caporegime
Are the charcoal baskets any good on the weber? My weber came with rails (which I rarely use and I just put the coals to the side of the kettle) but my wife has bought be some baskets but not sure if I will ever use them!
My Weber One Touch (I think?) 57cm (I think?) also came with rails that I never use. Sticking the coals to one side seems to have exactly the same effect?

On another matter, can anyone recommend the 15Kg for £20 'BigK Drumbecue restaurant grade lumpwood charcoal' from Amazon? I'm a bit fed up of the normal lumpwood bags as 80% of it is tiny bits that fall through the grate!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drumbecue-...=UTF8&qid=1498678544&sr=8-3&keywords=charcoal

s98Fz9z.png

Man of Honour
I think the baskets are quite good for making sure the coals are where you want them, particularly if adding more over a coal and you have a hinged grate.

Permabanned
Personally I don't tend to sear drumsticks or thighs very much or at all, they're normally good just roasted using the indirect method, if you need to add some burnt bits I'd follow FrenchTart's advice and do it at the end.

How long do you give your drumsticks and thighs to cook on the indirect side? I may add a few soaked hickory chips to add a little smoke, is it best to do this at the beginning or near the end?

Thanks!

Soldato
How long do you give your drumsticks and thighs to cook on the indirect side? I may add a few soaked hickory chips to add a little smoke, is it best to do this at the beginning or near the end?

Thanks!

I'd say about 30mins for thighs, but it's worth checking with a thermapen or similar if you want to pull them before they're overcooked. The smoke works best from the start as the uncooked meat takes up the smoke much better than cooked. I'd throw the woodchips in once the charcoal is up to temp cover to make sure the grill is heated and the lid is warmed up then put the chicken on.

Soldato
My Weber One Touch (I think?) 57cm (I think?) also came with rails that I never use. Sticking the coals to one side seems to have exactly the same effect?

On another matter, can anyone recommend the 15Kg for £20 'BigK Drumbecue restaurant grade lumpwood charcoal' from Amazon? I'm a bit fed up of the normal lumpwood bags as 80% of it is tiny bits that fall through the grate!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drumbecue-...=UTF8&qid=1498678544&sr=8-3&keywords=charcoal
I'd also love to know if anyone can advise on some larger lumpwood charcoal. I had an impromptu BBQ on the weekend and ended up buying Diall stuff which was tiny.

Soldato
I'd also love to know if anyone can advise on some larger lumpwood charcoal.

I received two bags of this charcoal yesterday. I'll open it later and let you know what I think. It came highly recommended from a friend.

EDIT: I opened one of the bags and I am impressed. The pieces at the top 1/3rd of the bag are really nice and big. I can't go any deeper than that, but hopefully the bottom isn't full of shrapnel like the stuff I received from liverpoolwoodpellets.co.uk.

Put 2kg of spare ribs on the Kettle earlier with some oak blocks from this chap. Cannot wait :D

GTq7PZY.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I received two bags of this charcoal yesterday. I'll open it later and let you know what I think. It came highly recommended from a friend.

EDIT: I opened one of the bags and I am impressed. The pieces at the top 1/3rd of the bag are really nice and big. I can't go any deeper than that, but hopefully the bottom isn't full of shrapnel like the stuff I received from liverpoolwoodpellets.co.uk.

Put 2kg of spare ribs on the Kettle earlier with some oak blocks from this chap. Cannot wait :D

Yeah, I've seen another bag of blue restaurant grade coal doing the rounds.

Can't wait to see the results of that.

Man of Honour
Bought a 2.2kg pork shoulder to make pulled pork or carnitas at some point over the weekend. Haven't had regular ol' pulled pork in ages so think that's the most likely one I'll go for. Nom nom.

Soldato
Can't wait to see the results of that.

The ribs? I could not be more chuffed with how they turned out --> https://imgur.com/a/U0wU6 :)

My Slow 'N Sear arrived yesterday, but being the dumbass that I am, I didn't realise that the Plus model is the one I actually want because it has the grate on the bottom. Argh, now I have to return it.

Tempted to invest the money in a Weber Smokey Mountain instead.

Permabanned
Permabanned
Anyone new to BBQ should get this book IMHO, it was only £2.80 used on Amazon but I would have paid full price as it is that good. Miles better than Barbecue: Recipes, Techniques, Tools recommended elsewhere on this thread.

61QVbZeeOnL._SX430_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
I'd say about 30mins for thighs, but it's worth checking with a thermapen or similar if you want to pull them before they're overcooked. The smoke works best from the start as the uncooked meat takes up the smoke much better than cooked. I'd throw the woodchips in once the charcoal is up to temp cover to make sure the grill is heated and the lid is warmed up then put the chicken on.

Thanks, just picked up one of these:-

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/hygiplas-easytemp-colour-coded-white-thermometer/j242

Soldato
Permabanned
That will help, it's weakness is the time it takes to read the temp, thermapens which are sometimes available from ebay at a good discount read in less than 2 secs not 15..
They're quite a bit more expensive even on discount though.

It's probably worth calibrating it too with icy water and boiling water to see if it reads accurately.

Cancelled, did not see the 15 sec thing, what pen / probe would you recommend?

Cheers

Associate
Cancelled, did not see the 15 sec thing, what pen / probe would you recommend?

Cheers

Buy a thermapen, instant read, very accurate and reliable. Very high quality and even made in the UK. Not especially cheap, but absolutely worth the money, I wouldn't BBQ without one.

You can buy them directly from here - https://thermapen.co.uk/

There are some leftover mk3 models on offer at £36.

Permabanned
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom