Poll: Official 2024 Belgian Grand Prix Race Thread - Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps - Race 14/24

Rate the Spa race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what's been reported.

I don't know I don't think 1.5kg is enough. But happy to see data saying otherwise
Tyres weigh about 12kg per tyre - so 48kg for all 4.

From Ted's notebook yesterday:

It's not an exact science – but a set of four tyres can lose around one kilogram across a stint. Teams take this into account with pre-race calculations.

It's not completely out of the possibility that Russell doing 33 laps on a set of tyres meant they lost an additional 1.5kg on top of the 1kg they already account for but it's probably a mix of a few things all together, especially with the removal of the upgrade on Friday and no dry running on Saturday.

That's what's been reported.
There's discussion that Toto knew the car was underweight as he looked unhappy when they got the 1-2, and supposedly they didn't empty the fuel tank correctly before it was weighed, which was only caught because the FIA official was suspicious about it being exactly on the weight limit. I don't think this theory that it was underweight because of tyre wear holds any merit, they knew they messed up before the finish and it was illegal the whole race.

Disagree.

He was only 1.5kg towards end of that tyre (if tyre weight is issue)

Aren't the cars 700kg is? I so that's way under 1 percent in weight.

It was a great strategy call. Whoever made it deserves credit.

If he was underweight due to the tyres, it was a strategy blunder, not a great strategy call.

I don't know if it was the tyres or not and I don't think anyone does yet, but pushing the boundaries of things so far that you get dsq is a mistake, not a masterstroke.

Last edited:
If he was underweight due to the tyres, it was a strategy blunder, not a great strategy call.

I don't know if it was the tyres or not and I don't think anyone does yet, but pushing the boundaries of things so far that you get dsq is a mistake, not a masterstroke.
I'll just have to disagree with this. But I understand the viewpoint.
This shouldn't cause a DSQ imo.

If the car was already under the limit that's one thing. But if it's just the tyres. That's another.

I still think if it was GRs call, it was a great call. If the team didn't check him and say "that will put us under the limit," that's on the team,and it's their mistake.

I suspect they didn't even think about it.

If the car was already under the limit that's one thing. But if it's just the tyres. That's another.

I still think if it was GRs call, it was a great call. If the team didn't check him and say "that will put us under the limit," that's on the team,and it's their mistake.

Hm, don't agree at all really. How often does a car get dsq due to weight?

Seems like a pretty big **** up, and if it was because of the one stop/tyre wear, it was a strategy blunder (whether it be George or the team's fault).

Last edited:

There should absolutely be a DSQ for an underweight car, there's no question about that and these lame excuses about tyre wear don't wash. The team already knew they wouldn't be able to pick up marbles and it would be factored into their calculations. They should have enough of a margin of safety on weight to cover the possibility of extra tyre wear on a one stopper, none of the other teams had an issue and it's never been a problem before.

Last edited:
There should absolutely be a DSQ for an underweight car, there's no question about that and these lame excuses about tyre wear don't wash. The team already knew they wouldn't be able to pick up marbles and it would be factored into their calculations. They should have enough of a margin of safety on weight to cover the possibility of extra tyre wear on a one stopper, none of the other teams had an issue and it's never been a problem before.

Yeah an underweight car should be DSQ.

Running tyres long shouldn't be able to cause a DSQ. It takes away a load of strategy options and is a further push into "f1 is boring"

Hm, don't agree at all really. How often does a car get dsq due to weight?

Seems like a pretty big **** up, and if it was because of the one stop/tyre wear, it was a strategy blunder (whether it be George or the team's fault).

I wouldn't say it's a huge **** up.

If reports are true and it is all tyres.. It would only happen here, on a long tyre last stint strategy, with a marginal car to start with.
I'd let the team off for this one.

If the car was underweight without tyre factor. Yeah that's a **** up.

Let's say GR did that stint from the line. No one would know. As a normal. Wear set would have been weighed.

For me it's unfortunate technicality. And in my view GR did win m but he was rightly DSQed.

Last edited:

Running tyres long shouldn't be able to cause a DSQ. It takes away a load of strategy options and is a further push into "f1 is boring"

Running tyres long would only cause a DSQ if you, as a team, choose to remove your own strategy options by running your weight so close to the minimum that extra wear would drop you under weight.

It was evidently an option open to the other one stoppers without dropping them under the weight limit.

Like what @413x said.. I’m not sure if it’s nuts or just plain stupid that a car can be disqualified because they either ran the car “too long” on one set of tyres, or didn’t pick up enough marbles on the way back in.

In fact reading that back, it sounds stupid to me. There must be a better way here. I dunno. On the other hand the car was just underweight I guess. It’s been too busy a Monday to understand this :p

Last edited:
Running tyres long would only cause a DSQ if you, as a team, choose to remove your own strategy options by running your weight so close to the minimum that extra wear would drop you under weight.

It was evidently an option open to the other one stoppers without dropping them under the weight limit.

Yeah but you're never gonna plan for this. You'd be screwed if you did anything different.

Its an odd case.

I do think its ridiculous though. That tyre wear could be the cause. I get the solutions are annoying (weigh the car without tyres) I still think it's crazy that it's happened.

This is only the second time in the last 30 years a car has been disqualified for being underweight.

Running long and Russell doing a one stop hasn’t caused the DSQ here, let’s not try and force an “f1 is boring” argument here for something that is ultimately a costly mistake from the team.

Teams don’t normally take any risk around weight because it’s an instant disqualification.

Last edited:
Yeah but you're never gonna plan for this. You'd be screwed if you did anything different.

Its an odd case.

I do think its ridiculous though. That tyre wear could be the cause. I get the solutions are annoying (weigh the car without tyres) I still think it's crazy that it's happened.
Everyone works to the same set of rules, it's just something else the teams need to allow for, others did.

The team should have called it when the one stop was a go and he would have had to do more fuel saving which would have seen him caught much earlier.

Weighing the car without tyres would take too long and then you would have to weigh the tyre to make sure the team hadn't done something to them etc etc.

Got to work within them rules.

Let’s be honest, if they had a full cool down lap of picking up discarded rubber I doubt wed be talking about this right now. It seems like the perfect storm. Albeit didn’t happen to the other long runners..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom