Poll: Official 2024 Chinese Grand Prix Race Thread - Shanghai International Circuit - Race 5/24

Rate the China race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Can't help but feel for Norris. Always the bridesmaid never the bride. It's such a shame McLaren has found it's pace but RB are just in another postcode. We should be seeing a scrap for the lead at least once or twice without other misfortunes. Unless McLaren do a Brawn he may never see a race win at this rate which is criminal.

Soldato
I enjoyed that! Action all the way down the grid. Even fighting for last place.
Alonso drove brilliantly today.

Has anyone else noticed how the camera man is always zoomed in on most shots? Sat in front of a 65" TV watching in 4K and there's a single car shown that's zoomed in so much it doesn't even fit in the frame. You have zero idea what's going on around it, where abouts on track it is, no reference for the speed it's doing or the direction it's going.

Caporegime
Can't stand him. He went on and on about Lewis not fighting Max but why would Hamilton bother/risk it? Lewis' one goal in the race should have been P2. Risking fighting Max and getting damage or losing time to those behind would have been an immensely stupid thing to do. Letting him by where he did also meant he could get DRS on the start/finish straight.

Lewis rightly knew he had ZERO chance against Max in that RB.

Was insane watching Lewis' onboard through the first few turns after Max got by him..the rear end stability/traction on that RB is insane.

Just to add to this, Rosberg literally said Leclerc defending against Max in the race was pointless....

Caporegime
Well, it wasn't totally awful courtesy of the Aston Martin's. Stroll not concentrating and starting wacky races and then fighting like his life depended on it for last place and Alonso doing some bizarre strategy which I think lost him a place to Russell and pulling off a mega save.

Max's pace was silly. At least a second a lap faster than anyone else.

Norris was very quick

I don't know what they did to Lewis's car in comparison to the sprint. I don't get how he was able to keep ahead of the Astons, Ferraris and McLaren's yesterday, but couldn't even make a dent in an Alpine today. Bizarre.

Caporegime
Overall, one of the more interesting races this season, despite the predictable leader. The teams all seemed a bit on the back foot, with changes of the balance between them throughout the race, a mix of strategies, and then a safety car mixing things up a bit. There were a decent number of actual overtakes as well - i.e. achieved without DRS - which was a rare treat. Stroll's lol-worthy moment, and KMag punting Tsunoda, removed some of the more interest low field battles but we got Alonso carving his way back in the final stint to balance that out a bit.

Norris driver of the day. Well done Leclerc, Russell, and Hamilton for their drives during the race - even if the last of those should have done better yesterday, it was a solid recovery.

A 7/10 from me.

I feel in situation's like Logan's, the stewards should have spoken to the team during the safety car rather than applying a penalty. It didn't make much difference to him, but it's surely unreasonable to expect either team or driver to know whether they hit the line a fraction of a second before or after another car a couple of car widths to their right. Not that it made much difference to him in the end.

Alpine's new chassis does seem a slight improvement, but it seems they've moved the comedy to the pits. I hope Stroll will apologise to Ricciardo and Piastri after he's had a chance to see the replay and reflect. That was entirely his fault and casting shade on other drivers for it does not reflect well on him.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just to add to this, Rosberg literally said Leclerc defending against Max in the race was pointless....
I had the highlights on just now and he said the same for Norris too. And thus we have the biggest issue with these years of RB dominance. When P2 won’t (or can’t) even fight P1 it’s ridiculous. I’ve seen murmurings of commentators/journalists saying that it’s getting to the point where MV’s titles are going to be tainted because he’s literally not had to race anyone for 3 years.

Caporegime
I had the highlights on just now and he said the same for Norris too. And thus we have the biggest issue with these years of RB dominance. When P2 won’t (or can’t) even fight P1 it’s ridiculous. I’ve seen murmurings of commentators/journalists saying that it’s getting to the point where MV’s titles are going to be tainted because he’s literally not had to race anyone for 3 years.

Except Lewis is supposed to fight him and compromise his race/lose time to drivers he's actually fighting against....

Pretty bad double standards from Rosberg. Yes we all like to see drivers jostling for position, but there is literally zero point in trying to defend against the Red Bull.

Associate
I’ve seen murmurings of commentators/journalists saying that it’s getting to the point where MV’s titles are going to be tainted because he’s literally not had to race anyone for 3 years.
Only if you're highly bias. It's pretty ridiculous the mental gymnastics that you lot go through to undermine 1 achievement while celebrating a separate era where a different driver and team were winning races by 24sec.

RB might have built the best car and have the best driver at the moment, but more importantly, the other teams did a rubbish job. My main takeaway from the last year or two has been the poor performance from Merc (and Lewis), Alpine, Danny Ric, Perez, etc. Ferrari, thankfully, are slowly digging their way out of the clown category.

Man of Honour

I mean the first is very much tainted. Always will be.

Good race...

Ham usual moaning about his car as always! Lol

Can’t blame him, it’s crap, he wants to win.

Last edited:
Soldato
Only if you're highly bias. It's pretty ridiculous the mental gymnastics that you lot go through to undermine 1 achievement while celebrating a separate era where a different driver and team were winning races by 24sec.
There’s not really much mental gymnastics to do. The resident F1 historians have done better comparisons than I to the Hamilton/Mercedes era where he was racing Alonso, Massa, Kimi, Vettel, Bottas, Rosberg and the points margins were much tighter throughout. The last wheel to wheel racing Max really did was 2021 and if you want to know how well that turned out look at the Jeddah highlights.

Max would get a lot more respect from non-bias fans if he’d actually had to race for any of his victories. Today is a great example of that.

Last edited:
Caporegime
DR given a 3-place drop for the next race and 2 points for overtaking Nico under SC conditions. This was after Nico passed DR when Stroll collided with him (which was permitted).

Alpine fined $10k for the incident with the mechanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom