Poll: Official 2024 Chinese Grand Prix Race Thread - Shanghai International Circuit - Race 5/24

Rate the China race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Huh? Lewis pulled actual, non-DRS, overtakes.
I genuinely only saw 1 so if he did then cool; I just heard the multiple radio messages complaining about the car and didn't see him move up the pack much in the early stages.

There were so many incidents ahead of him, not to mention the various safety cars so it looked like he made most of the positions that way. I still think Lando did the better job.

Associate
I love the selective logic. Should write in to the FIA and ask that they revoke Lewis's titles ;)
What selective logic and what does DotD have to do with Lewis' titles? If you're in a completely dominant car with a below average team mate it's next to impossible to win DotD because you don't have to really do much. So no, in reality DotD isn't always the winner.

Associate
What selective logic and what does DotD have to do with Lewis' titles? If you're in a completely dominant car with a below average team mate it's next to impossible to win DotD because you don't have to really do much. So no, in reality DotD isn't always the winner.
You're saying that, because RB have the fastest car, Max winning doesn't validate his talent as a driver. Lewis won because he had the fastest car so clearly those titles are invalid.

By your logic, Lando shouldn't get DotD because he had the 2nd fastest car. The poll is perceived performance, not actual stats - maybe AWS should do a stats-based poll instead of the usual garbage they put out on screen.

Caporegime
I just heard the multiple radio messages complaining about the car and didn't see him move up the pack much in the early stages.

There was an interesting point made by a YouTuber I was watching the other day: we only get a very small selection of the radio messages. Lewis complaining is substantially more likely to get played than messages from most other drivers, which likely distorts the impression we get of the drivers.

I still think Lando did the better job.

I'm not disagreeing with that, just saying I think Hamilton had a pretty good race. Quite the contrast to his quali!

Associate
You're saying that, because RB have the fastest car, Max winning doesn't validate his talent as a driver.
Your words not mine. I'm saying that the winner isn't always driver of the day, and can in fact be difficult to win driver of the day when you have have no competition or challenge.

Lewis won because he had the fastest car so clearly those titles are invalid.
Again, not sure what DotD has to do with Lewis' titles, you seem a little obsessed with him. I will say though that it clearly wasn't the same situation, 14-16 Lewis was challenged by a top driver who beat Schumacher in the same car, and 17-19 and 21 Lewis didn't have a dominant car.

Last edited:
Soldato
Driver of the day is obviously a public vote and someone could win for just a single awesome overtake or a collective number of things that happen in the race. I don't think it tends to show "popularity contest" winners at all. I think the people voting usually give us someone who deserves it...usually. Nico did big up Norris and asked if he could have permission to interfere with the vote and then went onto say that he thought it should be Lando. I guess that will influenced it a bit.

Man of Honour
OP
Your words not mine. I'm saying that the winner isn't always driver of the day, and can in fact be difficult to win driver of the day when you have have no competition or challenge.

Again, not sure what DotD has to do with Lewis' titles, you seem a little obsessed with him. I will say though that it clearly wasn't the same situation, 14-16 Lewis was challenged by a top driver who beat Schumacher in the same car, and 17-19 and 21 Lewis didn't have a dominant car.

Let be honest though "comeback" Schumacher was a shadow of the driver he was when he retired at arguably his peak in 2006

Associate
Let be honest though "comeback" Schumacher was a shadow of the driver he was when he retired at arguably his peak in 2006
He might not have been at his absolute best but I don't think he was far off, Rosberg was just very good. Look at what Alonso's doing right now and he'll be 43 soon.

Man of Honour

To be fair his car was pretty crap, very different to what he had previously driven and his old tricks didn’t work anymore. If he had waited a few more years the cars would have become even easier to drive and many of his tricks would have been acceptable again.

Last edited:
Associate
There was an interesting point made by a YouTuber I was watching the other day: we only get a very small selection of the radio messages. Lewis complaining is substantially more likely to get played than messages from most other drivers, which likely distorts the impression we get of the drivers.
That doesn't surprise me - can imagine they do it for the added drama. Probably a similar situation with "Bono, my tyres" where the TV director was trying to keep things going.

Soldato
That doesn't surprise me - can imagine they do it for the added drama. Probably a similar situation with "Bono, my tyres" where the TV director was trying to keep things going.
I thought the selective radio messages was known to everyone. They cherry pick messages for the greatest impact..

Associate
I thought the selective radio messages was known to everyone. They cherry pick messages for the greatest impact..
If you watch a lot of post race stuff then you usually get the bigger picture, but I don’t think many people look beyond what’s aired.

While I doubt Lewis ever said “the car is amazing”, the messages obviously paint a more negative image.

Man of Honour
OP
To be fair his car was pretty crap, very different to what he had previously driven and his old tricks didn’t work anymore. If he had waited a few more years the cars would have become even easier to drive and many of his tricks would have been acceptable again.

I would have liked to see him in one of the Championship challenging Merc's anyway!

Caporegime

Yeh. I mean they all complain about the car, especially when it's rubbish. Look at Alonso at McLaren. Even Max was throwing a wobbly about the car at the start of the sprint on Saturday.

Caporegime
I'd also put him ahead of Perez but difficult to say by how much as it's all relative to how good Max is vs Lewis. Bottas definitely had some wins on merit vs Perez where it's mostly just Max having an engine failure, although Bottas did seem to drop off massively in 2021.

I'm happy with Norris being DotD given that he was comfortably 2nd and very consistent. Alonso and Charles would be good candidates, with Alonso mainly being let down by the tyre strat.

I mean, in reality, Max is DotD, he won - the voting is mostly a popularity thing/perceived performance. Lewis was 2nd in the poll and barely overtook anyone on track.

Just what I was gonna say.

Without a veratappen/Hamilton benchmark we can't know.
But I'd say yes.. Bottas was better than perez is.

Man of Honour
OP
Did not watch the race but all I can say is I think Lewis has timed his move away from Merc just right, they seem genuinely lost with these ground effect cars.

I think the most worrying thing for Mercedes is that they just don't seem to understand why the car does what it does; that's 3 years now where they've built a dog of a car and then completely failed to be able to improve it as they just don't understand how its working - I can understand why a driver would jump ship when the engineers/designers clearly are struggling.

Soldato
Did not watch the race but all I can say is I think Lewis has timed his move away from Merc just right, they seem genuinely lost with these ground effect cars.
For him maybe, however George doesn't appear to be having quite the same issues and seems to be able to cope better.

The issue Mercedes is still having is that there is no correlation between what they are seeing on the simulator, or in the wind tunnel, then being translated to the track.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom