Poll: Official 2024 Singapore Grand Prix Race Thread - Marina Bay Street Circuit - Race 18/24

Rate the Singapore race out of ten

• One

• Two

• Three

• Four

• Five

• Six

• Seven

• Eight

• Nine

• Ten

• I’m not voting for, just show me the results.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Man of Honour

Title.png

When was the track built?
The Marina Bay Circuit made its grand debut in 2008. Picture this: a street track with the city's iconic skyline as its dazzling backdrop. The initial circuit plan by Herman Tilke got a makeover by KBR Inc, and the event quickly became one of the shining stars on the F1 calendar.

When was its first Grand Prix?
In 2008, Singapore had the honor of hosting the first-ever night-time race in F1 history. The Grand Prix, the 15th round of that season, was a massive hit with teams and drivers alike. Renault’s Fernando Alonso clinched a controversial victory, adding to the drama and excitement.

What’s the circuit like?
The Marina Bay Circuit is one of the most physically demanding tracks on the calendar. Its bumpy street surface and humid conditions keep drivers on their toes. Even after a 2023 layout change that reduced the number of corners from 23 to 19, drivers still have their hands full around this high-speed lap. The physical stress is so intense that they can lose up to 3kg in body weight over the course of a race.

Why go?
If you want to see Singapore at its finest, there's no better time than when Formula 1 takes over the heart of this vibrant city. Get a bird's-eye view by hopping on the Singapore Flyer, a giant Ferris wheel overlooking the track’s permanent pits complex. Then dive into Singapore’s incredible bar and restaurant scene. Cocktail enthusiasts should definitely make a pilgrimage to the famous Raffles Hotel, the birthplace of the Singapore Sling (non-alcoholic versions are available!).

Where is the best place to watch?
Grab a seat in the grandstand at Turn 1 for spectacular views as the cars zoom into the first corner, brake hard, and whip through Turns 2 and 3. You'll also get a fantastic view of the start – expect to see plenty of sparks fly as the drivers blast off the line.

Singapore Grand Prix - Schedule Information & TV Broadcast Times

image.png

Channel 4 Highlights - Broadcast Times

Saturday 21st September - Singapore GP Qualifying Highlights - 18:55
Sunday 22nd September - Singapore GP Race Highlights - 17:30

Weekend Weather Forecast (as at 16/09/24)

Monaco-Weather.png

Track Diagram & Information

Monaco-Circuit.png

Previous Race Highlights

Championship Standings after Baku

amw60c382zod1.png
v

Just a reminder, but consider it a warning - can we not have any further derogatory name calling of drivers, team bosses and the like. We don't expect you to like every driver/team, but at least keep comments respectful.

If you don't follow this warning, you will lose access to the race thread and the thread for the following race as well.

This includes but is not limited to such terms including Lulu, Crashstappen, Karen Horner, Whingey Spice etc.

I think it's safe to say whoever wins the 2024 season will deserve it and will have fought for it.

Nice to see Williams have overtaken Alpine now. Albon up to 13th too. He's doing a smashing job in that car, it's a shame he could drive past the BS when he was at RB, I think he would be up there with Norris and Leclerc otherwise.

Its funny though on Albon, we discussed this in the Baku thread; is Albon actually that good given Colapinto came in and matched him within 2 races? Or have Sargent and Latifi flattered him?

Out of interest, are you using the Bing image generation AI stuff for this? Roughly how many attempts do you have to make each week, to get a suitable image just from typing stuff? :)
Nice work.

Yeah I've been using Microsoft Designer which is working really well; that one for Singapore was actually the first attempt but it can take a few to get something that looks decent!

Yep George put it in the wall. George is no doubt fast but prone to few mistakes here and there under pressure. I prefer the name Osama bin Russell as he is referred to by Rocket Powered Mohawk on YT.

Woody! Love it - he'll be in the wall even more next season if Antonelli challenges him; although I have a feeling Antonelli might be in the same wall

Who was the last team who genuinely came into F1 and hit the ground running?! I don't really count BrawnGP in that regard :p

Toyota didn't, BAR didn't. Maybe BMW Sauber if you count them as a fully new team did alright.

I suppose Mercedes but then they didn't actually win a race for a couple of seasons; and again as such they weren't "new"

I keep hearing Rosberg in particular mention the track layout being different... I thought they took away the stupid little stadium part near the end last year?
My understanding was there is/was construction on-going which meant it couldn't be used anyway

What a load of ********, £40m or not if your a sport man in a high pressure situation is see little wrong with the odd "****".
As I said earlier I watch a lot of footie, I've heard "Lizzies in a Box", "Knee Deep in Fenian blood" and "Build my Gallows" along with various Hillsborough chants on Live Footy, what an F1 driver says is so far down that it's unbelievable.

Lack of funding from Honda?

I think as soon as it was confirmed Honda and Red Bull weren't continuing for 2026 the writing was on the wall for any potential Tsunoda to to main Red Bull Team move.
I know officially he was a Red Bull Junior but that always felt like an obligation for them rather than them really choosing to have him in there.

Ricciardo definitely sounds like a guy that know's he's not going to be in Austin.
That said its Red Bull, he could be in Perez' seat by then for all we know.

That said I'm not sure I really see the logic in not letting him have the rest of the season; its not as if Lawson has any other F1 option for next season beyond AT; contract clause or not

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom