• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

Even with 1.3v one of the GPU's will not do more than 1140Mhz.
Its a shame, But tbh 1140Mhz on a dual core card isn't shabby :P

Not too bad mate, mine will get 1215 just, but not stable for continous runs. 1200 / 1700 seems a good compromise for my cores.

For mining I get best results at 1100/1500 and for gaming I run @ stock.

Temps is really what is important except for benching. what are your max temps ?

Please bear with me - Been a Nvidia user since the very beginning, and the little AMD experience I have is 6ish years ago on a laptop.

My system is nearly done and the last tid bits are incomming with UPS on Monday, incuding the ASUS ROG IMPACT. So I was hoping some fellow 7990 owners could point / mentor on how to overclock these cards - I have a waterblock on it, so heat should not be any issue.

I did Google it, but I kept running in circles on forums where people kept going on about reference and non-reference PCB and Reg-edits.

Have experience with flashing ROMs and using EVBOTs (soldered them myself) - so not a complete beginner, unfortunately this is the first time I am playing on this side of the fence, so could use a guiding hand.

Also, if there are any Do and Dont in CCC etc. I would greatly appreciate it :)

No need to go that far with soldering. Just get a water block, remove air cooler and fit.

All of the work done is software driven.

Catalyst 13.6 Beta is needed as the core driver.

Use MSI Afterburner latest beta and GPUID to check the settings afterwards. The reason is that I have found the MSI AB is the only clocker that will actually recognise the AMD 7990 cards and actually change the voltages for you. ou may have to set them 3 - 4 times in a row for them to take affect. but it does work. All of the other overclock programs including Sapphires own TRIXX fail to recognise the card.

Under water, I leave mine on factory settings, for benching and showing off I set it to 1.3volts and 1200 GPU / 1700 MEM

13.8 drivers are nice, Crysis 3 is much smoother

Hardly any changes in benchmarks.

Interesting to see the price drop on the cards now, oh well all things get cheaper after a while :)

Might pick up another one at a cheap price and water block that too for 7990 x 2 :)

Having some minor temp issues on my 7990 with one GPU running significantly hotter than the other.

Since attaching the water block, I have during 100% mining operations seen the temperature difference slowly get bigger between the 2 GPU's

I expect one to be slightly higher as it is powering the display, but they started off 4 degrees difference, and 2 weeks on they are now 10 degrees different.

This is even after allowing the whole system to cool down, they immediately go to +8 difference and creep up to +10.

I wonder what is causing this, bad TIM ? They both have the same settings and voltage across them, so don't know what else it could be.

Ok sorted the problem. Took 1/2 hour to drain, remove the block and re apply some MX4 to the GPU's. Temps have dropped by 5 degrees and now are within 4 of each other which is better.

I wonder with heavy 24/7 over 3+ weeks 100% mining on the GPU's whether the MX4 is going off ??

I did put on much more MX4 this time as per AMD single line method instead of the single pea method.

Card is not warping, nicely held in and the back plate helps to keep it rigid, good call though.

We shall see.

Last edited:
Mines is arriving on Tuesday.

Replacing a GTX 760 SLi setup...simply wanted to go back to my Precision PS07 case so the single card set up works a lot better and will be a heck of a lot cooler.

Massive card in a small case :D

Will it fit ??? It is a mahoosive card. At the current prices, seen one for £605 at a Northern company, I am seriously looking at getting another one.

Last edited:
It will indeed...12.1 inches is what I've seen which is about 30cm. About 40cms of depth so it will be fine...even got a hard drive cage which comes with a Graphics card support with the case, I'll take some pics when it's in.

With cashback and a voucher I picked mines up for about £530 which isn't too bad at all!

Very nice price :)

Back
Top Bottom