**Official Asus A8N-SLI Premium Thread**

Ken

Ken

Associate
Rudeboy said:
I've just got one of these and think it's a fantastic board, but can someone explain to me how the memory speed is determined when overclocking?

Currently running a 3700+ at 250x11, which gives me a CPU speed of 2.75GHz. The memory is set to 333 and the HTT multipler to 4, but still the memory is running at over 200MHz. Not sure how to work out the memory speed in relation to the CPU fsb. Can anyone explain it?

Thanks.
(400 / FSB) x 200 = divider you should be using.

So in your case of 250MHz, you should be using a divider of 320MHz.

By using a multiplier of 333MHz...

(FSB / 400) X divider = memory speed
(250 / 400) x 333 = 208MHz

Last edited:
Associate
Ken said:
(400 / FSB) x 200 = divider you should be using.

So in your case of 250MHz, you should be using a divider of 320MHz.

By using a multiplier of 333MHz...

(FSB / 400) X divider = memory speed
(250 / 400) x 333 = 208MHz

Where does the 400 come from?

Am I better off running at 200MHz for the memory, or is 208MHz ok?
Also where does the 320MHz divider come from? I don't have one of them.

Ken

Ken

Associate
Rudeboy said:
Where does the 400 come from?

Am I better off running at 200MHz for the memory, or is 208MHz ok?
Also where does the 320MHz divider come from? I don't have one of them.
The 400 is basically 200MHz DDR (400MHz effective).

The higher the memory speed the higher the bandwidth so better performance but it's a question of whether your memory can handle the higher FSB. You need to find out what the limit is and the divider stops the memory running at the same speed as the FSB.
There isn't a 320MHz divider. I was just stating that 320MHz would be the divider you needed if you wanted to run your memory at stock speed but the only dividers you have are the ones listed in the BIOS.

Last edited:
Associate
JustinB said:
I have just RMA'ed my mobo (A8N Premium) and cpu (X2 4400+) as I thought the mobo was faulty,as there was no post after booting I reseated cpu gfx etc.I have tested the GFX Card (XFX 6600GT) and the ram (Geil Value 2x1GB) and they are both working.Couldnt test the other components.

I have a Aerocool Turbine Power 550W psu. When i connected the psu i used the 24pin power connector and the molex.But didnt connect the ATX12V connection as i thought this was part of the 24pin connector as it can be used as a 20 and 24 pin.The 4 pin part can be unclipped but cant reach the ATX12V. I have just got my psu box out and there is a P8 to P4 cable is this the correct cable for the ATX12V. Is this why i was getting no post.I am now thinking it has been a waste of time for the RMA, and i could have my new system up and running?
What is the ATX12V connector for? Does it have to be connected?The green LED was working on the board when i was testing aswell.

Think i have made a silly mistake.

Thanks,

Justin

It powers the CPU.

Associate
Bios updating

Hi all,

Can anyone help please? I am still using bios rev.1001! When updating the bios, does this have to be done sequentially i.e. 1002 - 1003 - 1004 - 1005 - etc or could I just jump straight to flashing the latest alpha bios?

Thanks in advance

:confused:

RST

RST

Associate
Wildman1255 said:

Hi all,

Can anyone help please? I am still using bios rev.1001! When updating the bios, does this have to be done sequentially i.e. 1002 - 1003 - 1004 - 1005 - etc or could I just jump straight to flashing the latest alpha bios?

Thanks in advance

:confused:

You can just flash to the latest version.

Associate
Dkore-DeX said:
Just got my new A8N-Sli Premium, how do I flash the bios? I got a X2 chip so need to flash it to get both cores working

I don't have a floppy, so am using a utility on the supplied CD called AsusUpdate that allows you to flash the bios from windows. I wouldn't normally flash from windows, but it seems to do the job and my floppy drive has long been disposed of.

Soldato
Rudeboy said:
I don't have a floppy, so am using a utility on the supplied CD called AsusUpdate that allows you to flash the bios from windows. I wouldn't normally flash from windows, but it seems to do the job and my floppy drive has long been disposed of.

Yes you can flash from Windows using LiveUpdate tool.

Make sure that you follow the warnings given by Asus before you update the bios though. Many of the newer bios versions (anything 1006+) require you to be using the latest LiveUpdate program (6.07.01) and latest nVidia chipset drivers (6.66+) before you should flash.

It's also best to make sure you have all background apps to a minimum (virus scanners/msn etc. turned off) while you flash.

Oh and one last thing, if you use LiveUpdate, make sure you flash from a bios file on your hdd (download to the desktop or something) and not the "Flash from the Web" option :).

Man of Honour
I'm not sure this has been answered already in the thread, and it's about to become an issue for me.

does the board work ok with 4 sticks of memory (corsair XMS 1GB CAS2 to be specific, i have 2 but i want to another two in for 4gb) I'm not expecting it to run at 1T but I've heard of problems running 4 sticks of memory in some AMD boards. anybody know?

*mutters about not having this problem with intel*

Associate
4 sticks of RAM

bigredshark said:
I'm not sure this has been answered already in the thread, and it's about to become an issue for me.

does the board work ok with 4 sticks of memory (corsair XMS 1GB CAS2 to be specific, i have 2 but i want to another two in for 4gb) I'm not expecting it to run at 1T but I've heard of problems running 4 sticks of memory in some AMD boards. anybody know?

*mutters about not having this problem with intel*
Hi Bigredshark

I am having a few problems at the moment getting to grips with the new bios. For some reason windows keeps shutting down and dumping physical memory. This could also be an indication of 4 stick RAM trouble.
Aside from this issue does anybody know what is the best route to update your bios. I have used the flash programme through windows after downloading the bios files from asus. But I am a little confused because on their site archives it says that the operating system should be DOS. Does this mean I should take the route of installing a new bios through using a floppy disk?

Any help whatsoever in this matter would be appreciated as I am getting highly frustrated with my computer keep suddenly shutting down!!!!!!!!!

Associate
Anyone know what the best audio driver to use with this board is?

I've been using the one from the nvidia 6.66 drivers, but have just noticed that on the CD there is an additional Realtek driver. Does it make any difference or are they essentially the same?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom