*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
Wings are on, coated them lightly with smoked paprika, cumin, coriander seed and baking powder. The baking powder should soak up the juices and crisp them up.
Also have some burgers and halloumi to go in, smoked halloumi (until the outside goes crispy) is amazing.

Associate
Aldi fathers day 28oc rump steak reverse seared on my new webber go anywhere. Basted with black garlic and rosemary, served with blue cheese mash and chives from my garden.
gurc1Jz.jpeg lfiGTii.jpeg 6AmOgfX.jpeg sPG281y.jpeg

Associate
You can buy it pre-made as I did but can also be made from scratch. Seen it on James Martin’s Saturday morning and tried it. Really nice for BBQ steak :) The liquid seasoning they mention is Maggi liquid seasoning from Sainsbury's btw.

https://www.jamesmartinchef.co.uk/r...IjiNgvT_XZp1tAXrDx3HoQyxwVL5uI4ve9K3qD9VMpROk
After going to your link i then tried youtube for a suya skewer recipe and found a video of tom kerridge actually making the recipe you posted. It was only at the end of the video when they showed his book I realised that's what my kids got me for fathers day. Happy days!

Soldato
You can buy it pre-made as I did but can also be made from scratch. Seen it on James Martin’s Saturday morning and tried it. Really nice for BBQ steak :) The liquid seasoning they mention is Maggi liquid seasoning from Sainsbury's btw.

https://www.jamesmartinchef.co.uk/r...IjiNgvT_XZp1tAXrDx3HoQyxwVL5uI4ve9K3qD9VMpROk

I might have to give that a go tomorrow, seeing as I have a spare steak and the missus is away! :)

I did some vortex wings for the match last Sunday, shame the chicken was better than the football..

ISMEv5Mh.jpg

Soldato
Soldato
Was inspired by the kellybab by @firstborn above to give it a go. Didn't want to fork out for the full on rotisserie, but found these 'proper' skewers, which I am really happy with. Don't transfer heat to the handles, nice and flat so the meat doesn't spin, and spans the full width of my KJ Classic II.

Barbecue Skewers - Russian Style Long Blade Type. 70cm (manchestervacs.co.uk)

Did a kellybab with chicken thighs, and some souvlaki pork shoulder chunks too. Served with greek salad and pittas. Cooked them direct over coals, just not too many lit. Took around 50 mins at about 160C I think. Which seems less than the kellybab recipe suggests, but everything was nicely cooked, if anything I'd do shorter next time.

IMG-20210716-205116.jpg

Those who browse GD might recognise those toes...

Soldato
Does it work with a stationary kebab i.e. not rotisserie, if you turn say every 15 mins? Or will you end up with one side burnt?
Had my first go doing a Kellybab tonight, without a rotisserie. Rotated it every 15 mins or so like you said here and whilst it had some crispy bits it definitely wasn't overdone. Super happy with how it came out! I can see myself ordering a Rotisserie fitting for my Weber though.,
jZrMaOF.jpg

This was a practise run for Friday when I've got a bunch of mates over. Not sure whether to just make a much larger one at the risk of it being a bit of a nuisance to cook, or whether to cook a few other things alongside it for more choice. Leaning towards the latter right now, maybe some beef skewers or ribs that don't need a really long cook.

Soldato
Looks very nice mate. What did you cook it on? Were you direct over the coals like I did? Did you cook for an internal temp or just eyeball it?
Thanks! :)
Cooked directly over coals until internal temp in a few spots was 74 or over. Used approx. 3/4 of a chimney starter worth of Big K charcoal, with the chicken just on the grill above it once the coals were white. First time using the Big K charcoal also, suitably impressed so far. Nice big chunks and seemed to burn for longer than some comments suggested, plenty of heat too. A bit of pre-reading about temperature management helped to hold the BBQ temp at around 190 C all the way through, think I'm getting the hang of BBQ'ing! :D

I have ordered an Inkbird bluetooth thermometer that should be here today, that'll help manage temperatures even better and open up options for doing a much bigger joint of meat for an extended cook. Yesterday I just stuck a normal kitchen probe in every now and then which meant having to take the BBQ lid off.

Soldato
After going to your link i then tried youtube for a suya skewer recipe and found a video of tom kerridge actually making the recipe you posted. It was only at the end of the video when they showed his book I realised that's what my kids got me for fathers day. Happy days!

I see he's using a Big Green Egg in that vid and not the brand he pimped for his TV series

Back
Top Bottom