*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
Mine has been outside and uncovered for over 4 years and looks fine. I did buy a Weber cover, but it went brittle and mouldy.

The more expensive cover that Weber make is much better quality. Mine has been in the sun and rain all year round for 4.5 years and it's still going strong. The velcro will give up long before the material does.

Last edited:
Soldato
Put this together yesterday for a gathering next weekend (along with my charcoal Weber) - hope to get it christened one night next week

IMG-20210820-162327.jpg

Soldato
Hi All,

Finally planning to do my Turkey Crown tomorrow in the smoker, using the last of the summer sun. It's roughly 3KG, I expect it to be a 10 hour job. Managed to grab a load of reduced Weber coal at B&Q also - so hopefully have plenty :)

That said, I did have a couple of questions for those that have done it before:

- I assumed low and slow, however any experience welcome :)
- Which seasoning did you use, just salt and pepper?
- Brine or not to brine?
- Do you baste it during the smoke? If so, what with? :D

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi All,

Finally planning to do my Turkey Crown tomorrow in the smoker, using the last of the summer sun. It's roughly 3KG, I expect it to be a 10 hour job. Managed to grab a load of reduced Weber coal at B&Q also - so hopefully have plenty :)

That said, I did have a couple of questions for those that have done it before:

- I assumed low and slow, however any experience welcome :)
- Which seasoning did you use, just salt and pepper?
- Brine or not to brine?
- Do you baste it during the smoke? If so, what with? :D

Many thanks!
I've only done a turkey crown on my kamado once and don't remember the details that well but I think 10 hours sounds like overkill and will dry it out. I'd stick to the old adage of cook for temp instead of time, but my guess would be you'll get to 'cooked' in something around 4 hours at 300F.

Definitely keep it simple on seasoning.

And ive never brined poultry myself but everyone who does says it's a must, so I'd advise if you can, even though my lazy arse has never managed it.

Soldato
I've only done a turkey crown on my kamado once and don't remember the details that well but I think 10 hours sounds like overkill and will dry it out. I'd stick to the old adage of cook for temp instead of time, but my guess would be you'll get to 'cooked' in something around 4 hours at 300F.

Definitely keep it simple on seasoning.

And ive never brined poultry myself but everyone who does says it's a must, so I'd advise if you can, even though my lazy arse has never managed it.

Morning,

Thanks for the reply.

Yep I agree, a little more research suggests normal cooking - not low and slow (although it can be done). I will go with a Dry brine, which is basically just salt. A lot easier for me to manage as well :)

It's still currently defrosting, so the plan is to do it tonight and cook tomorrow afternoon (shouldn't need the crazy hours, so need need to rush getting it in first thing).

Soldato
Your Kamado is so clean, is it new?

It is relatively new, probably only used half a dozen times as I switch between that and the Weber MT. It's an Aldi kamado I initially bought as a stop gap until I could get the Big Green Egg bundle I wanted, but now wondering why I would want to do that as the AK has been very good so far for both quick/fast cooks and long/slow ones.

Soldato
It is relatively new, probably only used half a dozen times as I switch between that and the Weber MT. It's an Aldi kamado I initially bought as a stop gap until I could get the Big Green Egg bundle I wanted, but now wondering why I would want to do that as the AK has been very good so far for both quick/fast cooks and long/slow ones.

Ah nice, I have the same and it is great for everything i've chucked at it. I had a MT before the Kamado but got rid as didn't have enough space.

Soldato
Over the last few weeks, I've been trying out some different recipes from my books that I haven't tried before. These were a couple of my favourites..

Pistachio, dill and turkey koftes from the BerberandQ book.
F3MQRkbh.jpg

Then grilled chicken shawarma from Wings and Things!
lanfLCDh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom