*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
I've just got myself a Vision Grills S-Series. I've been eying one up for a while to replace my rusted out Akorn and Home Depot had it marked down from $800 to $480 so it was a no brainer. I'd looked at Kamado Joe and Big Green Eggs but the Kamado Joe is $2500 and this one is apparently rated higher than a BGE. Being able to switch out the ash tray with a gas insert is a nice touch too for any quick outdoor cooks.

Now I just have to build a new grill table for it to live in...

Soldato
Anyone tried a Meator thermometer? My Maverick ET-733 needs replacing and the Bluetooth function and link to Alexa looks fun to try out

Quite a few people use them over on the CWS group and they seem to get decent reviews there. Apparently it's worth getting the Meater+ over the original though as the connection is a lot better. I'm still after a Fireboard for this summer, typically every time I go to buy one, something else happens that I need to spend the money on.

Associate
I’ve got the FireBoard and just got the MEATER +. The fireboard is loads better for me but use the meater for rotisserie meat due to no cables. The range can leave a little to be desired but only uses it twice so far and haven’t sorted out the cloud option but seems a bit of a faff.

Associate
I've found the Pro Smoke version of the Vortex for a fraction of the cost so think I'll just end up buying both! :D

I've been slacking with the smoking since October as I've been busy at the weekends so thought it was about time I fired her up. No sooner had I got it up to temperature and put the meat on it started tipping it down! Luckily it only lasted 20 minutes. I really need to get a smaller smoker as firing up the big WSM is overkill for a couple short ribs.. Not sure how the missus would feel about a fourth BBQ on the patio though.

EZW1iCPl.jpg

This looks a beuty ! any tips for the cook ?

Soldato
This looks a beuty ! any tips for the cook ?

I find short ribs are really forgiving to cook on the smoker, doing a full rack is great! I get the smoker going at about 110C to 120C with either hickory or oak wood and keep them on until they hit 95C. Sometimes I wrap at about 70C if I want them done a bit quicker, other times I leave them going unwrapped for a nicer bark.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Fired up the Weber Kettle yesterday and smoked some short ribs for 6-7 hours. Nothing fancy beyond salt, pepper and some applewood chunks for smoking. Came out sublime, fell off the bone and tasted fantastic in some soft white rolls with Sweet Baby Rays sauce. Despite the horrific wind I managed to keep the temperature regulation much better than when I last used it in autumn which shows I'm learning from my mistakes :D

Just got to decide what to do next now... If the wife had to choose it would definitely be brisket again but I like the idea of trying something else new...

Soldato
Hi All,

As some of you saw i recently purchased a Smoker and looking to try it soon.

That said, i opened up my weber spirit gas bbq yesterday and unfortunately inside the lid and side is quite mouldy. Clearly leftover food residue over winter.

I've given it a good burn off, a little power wash and scrub, however I think it needs another go.

Any other tips? Any good products/cleaning tools?

Thanks

Ps. Hopefully im not the only one that this happens to.

Soldato
I'm getting rather bored of pulled pork on buns with coleslaw, so I've decided to make Tinga de Puerco on Saturday because there are few things I love in life more than Mexican food :D

I'll be using the Weber Summit Charcoal, Weber dutch oven and the Weber grilling rack for the Summit to lift the pork above the dutch oven.

Soldato
I'm getting rather bored of pulled pork on buns with coleslaw, so I've decided to make Tinga de Puerco on Saturday because there are few things I love in life more than Mexican food :D

I'll be using the Weber Summit Charcoal, Weber dutch oven and the Weber grilling rack for the Summit to lift the pork above the dutch oven.

That looks fantastic.. I need that in my life! Make sure you get some pics on here when you're done.

Soldato
does anyone here use one of the offset smokers? I quite fancy getting one as they seem pretty versatile in what you can get out of them but just wondered if anyone has experience of them...

Soldato
Awesome, you've inspired me! :) I tend to end up doing the same things on the BBQ so would be good to try something different, I'll have to give it a go. How much pork shoulder did you use?

1.6kg which is definitely the most that fits on the Weber Grilling Rack above their Dutch oven.

We got the can of chipotle chilies in adobo sauce from mexgrocer.co.uk. I'm not sure if they're available in supermarkets, but I doubt it. I think the only thing I'd change next time is to use better quality chorizo. The Tesco Finest spicy one isn't great.

It makes a ton of food. We fed 4 adults and still have about 2/3 left over.

Soldato
1.6kg which is definitely the most that fits on the Weber Grilling Rack above their Dutch oven.

We got the can of chipotle chilies in adobo sauce from mexgrocer.co.uk. I'm not sure if they're available in supermarkets, but I doubt it. I think the only thing I'd change next time is to use better quality chorizo. The Tesco Finest spicy one isn't great.

It makes a ton of food. We fed 4 adults and still have about 2/3 left over.

That's perfect, I was looking to make a load so I could freeze some as well. Cheers for the link, I'd managed to find some of those chipotle chillis on Spices on the Web too.

Stupid wind! I wanna BBQ but nooooo stupid storm! :(

I've been worried mine were going to blow over! One of my fence panels is down and the 10k I was meant to be doing this morning was cancelled. Luckily it seems to have died down now.

Back
Top Bottom