*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Associate
So I'm just going to use standard charcoal and/or briquettes for the first couple of uses, because just getting used to it, and no multiple hour cooks. However, any recommendations for better charcoal going forwards? And are higher priced charcoal starter chimneys actually better than budget DIY center ones?

Soldato
I got an argos one, used it once and did the job with the big k charcoal I have. Half the cost of the weber one, time will tell if it lasts!

Soldato
So I'm just going to use standard charcoal and/or briquettes for the first couple of uses, because just getting used to it, and no multiple hour cooks. However, any recommendations for better charcoal going forwards? And are higher priced charcoal starter chimneys actually better than budget DIY center ones?

Better charcoal is definitely worth it. I've used Big K in the past, available at Morrisons, but these days I'm using SupaGrill and I find it to be very good for all types of cooks. For longer cooks I use a mixture of half a chimney starter of briquettes, at the bottom, and half a starter of lumpwood at the top. If I want to be cooking quicker, I swap these around, but this method usually works pretty well for me. I've also only used a Weber starter, but at £17.99 and the fact that it has lasted me about 8 years already, I really don't have a problem with the extra price. I do have a cheaper, non-Weber starter in the garage, but it has never been used. It also feels rubbish. The handle is loose, and the metal it is made out of is really thin. I think it was about £8 from Homebase. For the extra £10, I'd be happier with the Weber to be honest.

Don't use instant-lighting charcoal. It really will ruin your food!

Soldato
OP

I'll throw in a recommendation for Aussie Heat Beads - they seem to burn very efficiently leaving not too much ash behind! I used to use the Big K stuff from Morrisons (I get discount too :p ) but it didn't play nicely in the smoker as the ash blocked the vents. Either do the job nicely.

As for chimneys - any will do - mine is Weber branded but it's really just a rolled sheet of metal with a wire rack and a handle from what I can tell!

Soldato
Got a wee 1kg brisket from the supermarket yesterday.

Any one help me with how long I should be smoking this bad boy for (roughly), at what temperature and to what internal temp?

Soldato
OP
All my go to sources say grill temp 225 - 250F and internal temp of meat 190 - 203F but judge it more on feel.

I did a 2kg brisket which went on at ~7am, pulled off at 7pm. Final internal temp was about 173F but I wasn't home to monitor it all day. Still tasted good though :)

Soldato
Daammmnnn man, do they really take that long?
I really want to smoke it but I dont think i'll have time tomorrow unless I get up at like 5AM as we will want to actually BBQ at some point. Suppose I could finish it off in the oven couldnt I.
I might get up to watch the boxing anyway so could get it going then but failing that i'll finish it in the oven.

Soldato
Managed get the brisket on at about 8am thought it wouldn't be done but we're currently sitting at 244f BBQ temp and 182f internal meat temp, probs another 2 hours tops and it'll be done!

Will post pics later!

Soldato
Did a pork shoulder yesterday, was severely hungover so didn't get it onto the bbq until 11am unfortunately. I dry brined it before bed and gave it some memphis rub before I got the charcoal going.

Internal temp only at 185F by eating time at 3pm despite having the bbq at about 350F most of the time, so blazed it in the oven for 25 mins which finished off the bark nicely and got internal temp to 195, was pretty trick to pull it but just about worked. Very tasty and succulent but didn't quite get to the perfect fibre melting temp of 203F. Next time I'm definitely giving it a good 8 hours.

Soldato
OP
Got some ribs on the go at last! Grill temp is holding nicely but the meat temp is way off - just over an hour of cooking and it's at 171F :eek:

Pics to follow (no befores because I is dumb! :p)

Soldato
Heres a piccy from the brisket i did yesterday.

meat.png

Was on for about 7 hours in total (and then rested for 30-40 mins wrapped up) which was quicker than I thought despite it only being a 1kg hunk.

Really really pleased with it though, it was super juicy and tender, had a fantastic smoke ring and flavour and a nice bark around the outside. Will be doing brisket more often however I imagine larger pieces may be more challenging.

Soldato
OP
Kinda forgot a pic until I sat down to eat!

W4blHst.jpg

Pulled at 163F (think it was just about to start climbing) as the chips were done and people were getting hungry! NOM! First bone literally fell out - that'll do I guess :p

Associate
Out of stock at the moment sadly ( I got one of the last 4) but this company is run by the people that actually make the smoker! :)

https://www.gardengiftshop.co.uk/bbq-smokers/premium-charcoal-bbq-smoker-grill

I seasoned it over the weekend as per the instructions (probably not really necessary but I wanted to fire it up and didn't have any meat to hand anyway so figured I'd do it). I was using a mixture of Big K briquettes, some that had been stored away in a cupboard over the winter and some that had been left in the tray of my grill bbq last summer and had been out in the elements all winter and were a bit damp...lol

I got it up to 180degrees c and kept it there for about 5 hours with pretty much no intervention needed despite it being a ridiculously windy day. When the sun moved off the smoker the temperature dropped considerably but as I was only testing I didn't bother to rectify it. I decided to take the coals out after about 6 hours as I was heading out for the evening and found that there was still about 1/4 of the charcoal basket left unburnt, not bad for such a cheap smoker and crappy charcoal!

Just had a mail from this place saying they are back in stock. Just ordered myself one :)
https://www.gardengiftshop.co.uk/bbq-smokers/premium-charcoal-bbq-smoker-grill

Soldato
Now now, that's insanely good value if it's as good as it seems. Was looking into draught proofing my current barrel style BBQ to make it more suitable for low n' slow cooking but if that can do 5 hours at 180 with no intervention then I may as well go for it

Back
Top Bottom