*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
Have just put some chicken thighs on, coated in a Carolina red sort-of sauce with some beer soaked beech chips in a pan. Think an hour for them then add in the burgers.

Vinegar based sauce? Think I made some of that for some pulled pork. Would never have considered it but tried it and it was amazing with the pork.

Associate
Hello everyone. I've just recently got into smoking using a ProQ ranger. Absolutely loving the food it produces.

I'm using ProQ cocoshell briquettes and although they are great once lit, absolutely stink while they get up to temperature. I'm quite surprised as they are supposed to be fully natural with no chemicals.

Is there anyone here who knows what I mean and can suggest an alternate fuel that lacks the distinct smell?
To me it reminds me of something the cat leaves behind.. not good.

I've seen the heat beads and the Weber briquettes for sale, but don't want to buy more of the same. Have the neighbors kicking up a fuss whenever I get starting off and I don't blame them.

Cheers

Soldato
my go too are heat beads, weber or big K. Weber probably being the worst for longevity of them all and big k seem to burn the hottest. Heat beads are my prefered as they last ages and burn at a decent temperature.

Currently got some shortrib cooking away but I have had to use co-ops lumpwood stuff as I ran out of the good stuff and cant get it anywhere due to lockdown. It does puff out some smoke I tell you that much.

Soldato
Well after 9 hours I gave up - probe never got beyond 63 degrees. Brisket was quite tasty but not as tender as I'd hoped. Maybe I should have wrapped it earlier.

There is a learning curve to smoking, I'm still on it. I have found even small pieces of brisket need 6+ hours. I have underestimated it every time so far! Wrapping in foil later on does help "Texas crutch". In fact for small pieces of say it's obligatory, the Yanks are cooking 6Kg pieces for 18hrs which are less likely to dry out.

I find the fun is trying different things to perfect it. Thoroughly recommend checking out amazing ribs website as the wealth of knowledge there is huge and saves a lot of trial and error. That said there is still a lot of practice required ;)

Soldato
That looks really nice. Ours was more modest, chicken wings with Kansas City BBQ sauce and some chicken skewers plus sausages. Nice idea with the sweet potatoes, take long to cook?

I had the potatoes on for about 6 hours, just sitting on foil but not wrapped up. Then split and a massive knob of butter in towards the end. They were absolutely amazing. Love broccoli on the bbq as well, a bit of oil and lots of lemon juice and allowed to go crispy.

Soldato
Can you guys help me with cooking a leg of lamb on my gas BBQ 2 burner, I will use the indirect cooking method, but Im unsure what I need to place the lamb into should it go straight onto the grates or into a foil tray, something I haven't got.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a rectangular barbecue, that's not an eyesore, or rickety or more expensive than a small car?

Everywhere I look the recommendation is to get a big round Weber, but I'm just not a fan. The Ikea Klasen is my preferred format, and looks like it could be fairly decent...

GZ91eLp.jpg

Has anyone got one? Any good?

Soldato
Can you guys help me with cooking a leg of lamb on my gas BBQ 2 burner, I will use the indirect cooking method, but I'm unsure what I need to place the lamb into should it go straight onto the grates or into a foil tray, something I haven't got.

For a leg, I'd butterfly it, marinate it over night then grill it direct, hot and fast! I did it with a goat leg a while back and it was fantastic. :)

hEwjL0kh.jpg

Well after 9 hours I gave up - probe never got beyond 63 degrees. Brisket was quite tasty but not as tender as I'd hoped. Maybe I should have wrapped it earlier.

After a few hours it won't take on any more smoke and once it gets to about 60C it'll hit the stall. UK briskets don't generally have the same fat content as US ones either so I'd wrap it to power through the stall and keep more of the juice in. I tend to get the point end of the brisket so it's a bit fattier and a larger piece is always more forgiving as well, plus it means you can have left overs for burnt ends!

I had a cheap supermarket rump I was going to use on a baguette this afternoon so thought I'd fire up the Vortex and see how well it works for searing steaks. :D

kX7XCgq.jpg

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a rectangular barbecue, that's not an eyesore, or rickety or more expensive than a small car?

Everywhere I look the recommendation is to get a big round Weber, but I'm just not a fan. The Ikea Klasen is my preferred format, and looks like it could be fairly decent...

GZ91eLp.jpg

Has anyone got one? Any good?
Almost everyone buying their first proper charcoal BBQ (myself included) will regret buying anything but a weber kettle.

I got one of these, which while I have enjoyed using it, it's about done after 5 years, and is nowhere near as versatile as the weber kettle.
https://www.bbqland.co.uk/landmann-taurus-660-charcoal-bbq.html

The weber is bullet proof. You could even buy one off gumtree (there's always loads, just make sure you don't get a compact one) and sell it on in a years time if you still aren't pleased with it for basically the same price.

Soldato
Not sure about the Weber kettle being such a no-brainer these days. My 57cm feels incredibly cheap and the grates aren't made from stainless steel so they rust like crazy.

If I was buying a "normal" BBQ ie. not a Kamado-style one, I'd have a look at the Napoleon Pro 22 before anything else. It has a cast iron grate, 3 grate levels, a hinged lid and a diffuser plate which are all freaking awesome compared to the Weber.

Soldato
Not sure about the Weber kettle being such a no-brainer these days. My 57cm feels incredibly cheap and the grates aren't made from stainless steel so they rust like crazy.

If I was buying a "normal" BBQ ie. not a Kamado-style one, I'd have a look at the Napoleon Pro 22 before anything else. It has a cast iron grate, 3 grate levels, a hinged lid and a diffuser plate which are all freaking awesome compared to the Weber.

I've seen quite a few people recommend them over a Weber now. They do look like nice bits of kit. For the price especially they look like a better option.

Soldato
Almost everyone buying their first proper charcoal BBQ (myself included) will regret buying anything but a weber kettle.

I got one of these, which while I have enjoyed using it, it's about done after 5 years, and is nowhere near as versatile as the weber kettle.
https://www.bbqland.co.uk/landmann-taurus-660-charcoal-bbq.html

The weber is bullet proof. You could even buy one off gumtree (there's always loads, just make sure you don't get a compact one) and sell it on in a years time if you still aren't pleased with it for basically the same price.
I would expect the IKEA to be fairly robust.

What makes the Weber more capable though? Hadn't considered that.

Thsnks for the heads-up.

One option I'm considering is getting something made including a bespoke grill made out of thicker gauge steel.
I've seen quite a few people recommend them over a Weber now. They do look like nice bits of kit. For the price especially they look like a better option.
Cheers. I'd seen these in some American group tests. Not considered them as I'm just not that keen on the Weber format.

Soldato
For a leg, I'd butterfly it, marinate it over night then grill it direct, hot and fast! I did it with a goat leg a while back and it was fantastic. :)

hEwjL0kh.jpg

After a few hours it won't take on any more smoke and once it gets to about 60C it'll hit the stall. UK briskets don't generally have the same fat content as US ones either so I'd wrap it to power through the stall and keep more of the juice in. I tend to get the point end of the brisket so it's a bit fattier and a larger piece is always more forgiving as well, plus it means you can have left overs for burnt ends!

I had a cheap supermarket rump I was going to use on a baguette this afternoon so thought I'd fire up the Vortex and see how well it works for searing steaks. :D

kX7XCgq.jpg

Thanks, I done it in the oven in the end as the weather turned later in the day, it actually was a butterfly leg I had, I presumed I should use the indirect method, so that's good to know I can just cook it quicker over direct heat.

I have one of them food temp prongs that I got free with my BBQ, so I would use that to be sure its cooked through.

Back
Top Bottom