*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
The second of what i'm sure will be a million questions haha!

Happy with how to cook and ready to start playing, but i'm sure I read somewhere that the Ceramic on a Kamdao grill needs to "cure" a few times before it's ready to handle hotter temperatures, is this true and if so can anyone recommend the best way to do it?

Soldato
The second of what i'm sure will be a million questions haha!

Happy with how to cook and ready to start playing, but i'm sure I read somewhere that the Ceramic on a Kamdao grill needs to "cure" a few times before it's ready to handle hotter temperatures, is this true and if so can anyone recommend the best way to do it?

RTFM :D! it tells you how to do it in there.

Soldato
Used charcoal briquettes this last week In my hot smoker and got a lot of ash on the food. It wasn’t just at the start it lasted throughout. Previously I’ve used Weber and other bbq briquettes without that happening. Is this common for lump charcoal too? To be honest for the smoker I prefer bbq briquettes they tend to burn slower and cooler. Intend to try Heat Beads when they’re back in stock.

Tea Drinker
Don
Used charcoal briquettes this last week In my hot smoker and got a lot of ash on the food. It wasn’t just at the start it lasted throughout. Previously I’ve used Weber and other bbq briquettes without that happening. Is this common for lump charcoal too? To be honest for the smoker I prefer bbq briquettes they tend to burn slower and cooler. Intend to try Heat Beads when they’re back in stock.

Lump wood only for me, it's easy to light with some of the paper bag and I'm never sure of what the briquettes are made of. We've got two of three local manufacturers of charcoal, they all use the same paper bags about £6 a bag. Supporting local business less manufacture miles, some confidence about what it's made of and it burns well.

Soldato
Haha sorry, haven't opened it yet and won't do till the weekend as i've got it at work currently! Wanted to make sure I had everything before I open it :p

Instructions basically say get a chimney of lumpwood charcoal lit and chuck it on the firegrate, set the top and bottom to vents open but grills closed to limit airflow and get it to between 200-250c (2-3 hours) until all of the lumpwood is burnt away, check for smoke leaks, providing you've got none let it cool and you should be good to go next time around.

Soldato

I've never had a problem with charcoal in my smoker but I definitely prefer to use Heat Beads for low and slow. I find charcoal tends to be a lot more erratic and doesn't last anywhere near as long. I try and only use it for grilling unless I'm out of Heat Beads!

After a recommendation on here, I treated myself to some T&G Butchers Dogs. They're awesome.. Probably one of the nicest hot dog sausages I've eaten! :D

I0OTdbo.jpg

Associate
Spare ribs were not tender enough even though I took it to 195f. 3 hours naked, 3 hours wrapped. I spritz and used water/sauce during the wrap

What do you guys use when you wrap them?

Sauce/apple juice, apple cider, butter, sugar?

UjDlCuo.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Going a bit mad in lockdown and buying lots of bits for the new kamado, Paella pan to use as a drip pan, some long tweezers, some welding gloves and a new pizza stone. Looking to see if I can get a rotisserie attachment for it now :D

Soldato
No lumpwood at The Range or B&Q, have one more to try tonight but managed to grab two bags of this from Morrisons for £5 per bag.

While i'm sure the quality will be nowhere near that of the premium stuff, would this stuff be likely to cause any damage to my Aldi Kamado? No additives or anything like that?

x3aQyuK.jpg

Soldato
Played about with some lower temps tonight on the kamado to cook some haddock fillets, definitely going to be a learning process over the next few weeks. Trying pizza again tomorrow then a small bit of beef on Sunday.

Soldato
37375BA4-74B1-45CD-812C-7AD58C18E7BE.jpeg.22b27d72e3913832726d03a0e43e0cc9.jpeg

Built! All arrived fine with no damage :D

Only had time for a "curing" run where I took it up to about 250°c and held it there after messing with airflow for a bit, then shutting the vents down and letting it cool :)

Going to try some smoked wings next weekend I think to get me started so I don't murder an expensive piece of meat haha!

Back
Top Bottom