1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Discussion in 'La Cuisine' started by Psymonkee, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Street

Sgarrista

They look good! :D

I'd keep the unwrapped time the same and maybe up the wrapped time depending on how much meat is on them and use a bit less wood. If you've got big chunks, it's worth splitting them down into smaller pieces. My last lot were about 3-400g each so I split them into three. One smaller piece usually gives me about an hours worth of smoke, so I use two for most cooks. Also, if the smoker is still going at the end, close the vents down and save the fuel for next time! :)

2. ganesh

Wise Guy

For everyone wrapping their ribs I have a suggestion, leave the foil in the kitchen. The bark and flavour is far superior, and I always find it’s very easy to overcook in foil and have them come out falling apart and mushy, especially if you try to use 3-2-1 on skinny UK ribs. I smoke fairly meaty racks at 135c for 4 hours, and they usually come out perfect with no soggy bark (a pet hate of mine).

3. Street

Sgarrista

I'm a heathen and love ribs that fall off the bone though! :D

4. tlrBeta

Wise Guy

Thanks all for the replies, they were tasty still - which is good :)

I've tried to come back on the points you raised :)

So I agree, next attempt - shorten cooking time a little.

I say 3 large chunks, they are most likely max 150g each (it's the bag I mentioned the other day). However, 3 was too much - again live and learn :) I would like to try St Louis ribs, I hope to be able to ask the butcher when I go shortly (hopefully for this weekend).

In terms of temps, I started at about 105-110, the max it got up to was around 125c, so about 260F - so that was the correct range by the sounds of it.

Thanks, they were tasty / better then before, so positive :)

I'm thinking, unwrapped 1 hour, wrapped 1 hour, check temp and finish with sauce for 30 min - Should I add some sort of juice for when they're wrapped?

As I thought it was going to rain, I was convinced I had to put it out and get the cover on. So I opened the vents to burn it off, it just took too long. In the end, I did spray a little water in to help it out - by that point most of the coal had gone. Maybe next time, I can just close the vents and let it cool down :)

I must admit, I like that fall of the bone covered in sauce. I don't mind the bite, just want it to easily fall away.

Sounds like I need to adjust my times :)

Next step, more ribs and a big pork shoulder for pulled pork, with all this Memphis rub I now have!

Thanks again all, any homemade sticky BBQ sauces? :)

5. chroniclard

Capodecina

Ribs mostly. Wont be smoked, just slow cooked with a rub and sauce.

6. GSVBagpuss

Mobster

Tomorrow is a whole duck Basted with maple syrup and gentle bit of apple smoke. Then a Hawaiian Huli-Huli spatchcock chicken on Monday

7. Slam

Wise Guy

Managed to get a new charcoal barbecue in time for the bank holiday weekend. Planning to use it in Sunday but just saw that some people say you need to break it in first. This can be anything from wash it down to light the coals and leave to cool or wipe the grill and inside with oil.
    What do people think?

8. a1ex2001

Capodecina

Load of old tosh

9. Slam

Wise Guy

That's entirely the answer I was hoping for! Just wanna get on and cook some delicious food!!!

10. flea.rider

Hitman

bbq grill no .. just wipe down the grates and off you go ... offset smoker then yes .. spray insides with oil light her up and run for 2 hrs ..

11. Skidder

Man of Honour

Did chicken shawarma on the rotisserie yesterday with thighs and some home made pitas. Kebab shop without the dysentery roulette.

12. SoliD

Capodecina

Bah, heat deflector has broken already on my Aldi Kamado, no idea how or when but between my last cook and yesterday it's broken into two pieces!

13. jpaul

Capodecina

that's a pity was looking over some of the complimentry reviews - following remarks here.
    wondering how hot folks had taken them, since I'd like a combined pizza option, per earlier discussion , and didn't want to pay >£500
    http://www.love2bbq.co.uk/2020/05/09/aldi-kamado-review/

the section i was going to post had mentioned plate
    it's guarantee time then. ...

14. Megahurtz400

Sgarrista

Was your deflector sitting right on the coals or on the prongs like mentioned in that comment out of intrest?

Don't want to run mine too hot when I eventually do Pizzas and crack mine!

15. SoliD

Capodecina

Mine was sitting on the prongs, will be trying to get a new one out of them.

16. Street

Sgarrista

Bank holiday ribs on the WSM today. I was in Morrisons the other week and spotted them on offer for about £3 for the pair so thought they'd do to stick in the freezer. I wasn't expecting much but they were actually really good racks with plenty of meat on them, I'll definitely be checking to see if they have any more next time I'm in there. I trimmed a fair bit off to neaten them up as well so had enough for dinner as well! :D I did them for 2/1.5/20 and they came out really well.

[​IMG]

17. mOdO

Wise Guy

Nice, what temp?

18. DrToffnar

Mobster

First time smoking today on the new broiler style. Pork butt went on about half 10 and temp is slowly creeping up. Think I’m nearing the fabled stall now... Been sitting at around 145 for about 2 hours now. Would you guys recommend wrapping at this point? Barks starting to form and a little worried it wont get all the way there if I wrap it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2020 at 3:02 PM
  19. Street

Sgarrista

If you're not in a rush for it, you can leave it, it'll just take a lot longer. Although if it's a smaller piece, it might dry out a bit more.

About 115C. :)

20. DrToffnar

Mobster

Tbf the pics quite deceptive (looks more like a roast chicken for one...) It was near 6 pounds before I trimmed a bit of the fat off and 5.2 when it went on.