*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
Planning Prevents Pished Poor Performance BBQs :)
KJpgqn9.jpeg

The Hendrik is 11% and the Forte is 10% :D So I also have some Medoc, Pino noir and some Macon plus whites for BBQ season :D

That La Raoul is 7% and hoppy like a smooth IPA.. well worth picking up a few bottles for hot BBQs

Last edited:
Soldato
Planning Prevents Pished Poor Performance BBQs :)
KJpgqn9.jpeg

The Hendrik is 11% and the Forte is 10% :D So I also have some Medoc, Pino noir and some Macon plus whites for BBQ season :D

That La Raoul is 7% and hoppy like a smooth IPA.. well worth picking up a few bottles for hot BBQs

The problem is if you pour that beer on the bbq the flames intensify! Great selection!

Associate
Anyone able to recommend a good easy meat /recipe to smoke? Never ever done it before and would love to give it a go.

I have a charcoal & gas bbq which is reasonably large, could I start off smoking using this? It has a chimney "thing" where smoke comes out and a lid etc - would this be suitable?

Sorry for the dumb questions, not sure if anyone can help or point me in the right direction.

Soldato
Anyone able to recommend a good easy meat /recipe to smoke? Never ever done it before and would love to give it a go.

I have a charcoal & gas bbq which is reasonably large, could I start off smoking using this? It has a chimney "thing" where smoke comes out and a lid etc - would this be suitable?

Sorry for the dumb questions, not sure if anyone can help or point me in the right direction.

A pork shoulder to do pulled pork is dead easy. If you can put up a picture of your bbq (or link a similar one) we can have a look at what vents it has etc for controlling air flow and temperature and advise on how best to try use it.

Associate
A pork shoulder to do pulled pork is dead easy. If you can put up a picture of your bbq (or link a similar one) we can have a look at what vents it has etc for controlling air flow and temperature and advise on how best to try use it.
I cant get it photographed now as its all covered up, but from memory it's not too dissimilar to this

Soldato
It's difficult to tell for sure from the product photos but looking at the instruction manual, it looks like that has a firebox on the far right that opens into the charcoal side of the bbq, and has a vent on the far end to control the air flow into the firebox, and there is a vent control on the top of the chimney. So in theory you should be grand for smoking! (though there is a bit of a learning curve so be aware of that).

For smoking you'll need decent charcoal or briquettes, supermarket rubbish really won't be suitable as that gives of horrible fumes from the fillers and binders that create smoke and will give your food a horrible taste too! If you're direct grilling this isn't too much of an issue as you won't put the food on the grill until that has burnt off, but with the smoking it'll be gradually burning and lighting new coals for a long time so anything cheap and nasty will taint your food.

I pretty much always use Aussie Heat Beads as they are nice and consistent in their burn times and they light very cleanly so work nicely for a long smoke. Restaurant grade lumpwood charcoal is also a good option though can be inconsistent in it's size, shape and quality.

For the actual smoking, you'll need a big pile of unlit coals in the firebox. Then you'll add a small amount of lit coals at one side on the coals next to the air vent. As they burn through, they will gradually lit the coals beneath/beside them and the burn will spread through the firebox over the course of the smoke.

For the smoke itself, I would suggest using something like Hickory Pellets (looks for ones which are 100% hardwood, as a lot of brands use cheaper woods and add flavour with oils which just doesn't work as well in my book. Add a couple of handfuls of pellets sprinkled onto the unlit coals a little bit to the side of where the lit coals will be put, this way, as the coals burn they will also burn the pellets and give you lovely smoke.

I would strongly recommend getting a multiprobe thermometer so you can monitor the pit temp and the food temp. The hardest part is the temperature control. You want to find a balance of the vents whereby you can maintain your desired temp (normally about 110C - 120C) while not burning too many coals too quickly. This really comes down to practice and getting to know your BBQ but I would suggest a starting point would be to half close the vent on the chimney and have the firebox vent fully open to begin with. As the temperature begins to climb towards your target temp, gradually close the firebox vent a little at a time - giving a good 10-15 mins to see what impact the adjustment has - until you find a point where the temperature stabilises. It can be tricky and annoying, and can be impacted by how well sealed the joins etc of the bbq are, and even the ambient temperature etc but with practice it can normally be done.

With multifunction bbqs they can sometimes have poor air flow, and you might find that it's a struggle to get temps high enough if you start closing the vent down, in which case I'm afraid it's a case of doing your best and making sure to keep an eye on the coals to make sure there's enough burning to keep the temps up.

Hopefully this gives you a bit of an idea of what to do, I've written it pretty hastily but hopefully it's helpful.

For more info, look up offset smoking, minion method, vent control there's loads of info out there and plenty of people who can help. :)

Last edited:
Associate
It's difficult to tell for sure from the product photos but looking at the instruction manual, it looks like that has a firebox on the far right that opens into the charcoal side of the bbq, and has a vent on the far end to control the air flow into the firebox, and there is a vent control on the top of the chimney. So in theory you should be grand for smoking! (though there is a bit of a learning curve so be aware of that).

For smoking you'll need decent charcoal or briquettes, supermarket rubbish really won't be suitable as that gives of horrible fumes from the fillers and binders that create smoke and will give your food a horrible taste too! If you're direct grilling this isn't too much of an issue as you won't put the food on the grill until that has burnt off, but with the smoking it'll be gradually burning and lighting new coals for a long time so anything cheap and nasty will taint your food.

I pretty much always use Aussie Heat Beads as they are nice and consistent in their burn times and they light very cleanly so work nicely for a long smoke. Restaurant grade lumpwood charcoal is also a good option though can be inconsistent in it's size, shape and quality.

For the actual smoking, you'll need a big pile of unlit coals in the firebox. Then you'll add a small amount of lit coals at one side on the coals next to the air vent. As they burn through, they will gradually lit the coals beneath/beside them and the burn will spread through the firebox over the course of the smoke.

For the smoke itself, I would suggest using something like Hickory Pellets (looks for ones which are 100% hardwood, as a lot of brands use cheaper woods and add flavour with oils which just doesn't work as well in my book. Add a couple of handfuls of pellets sprinkled onto the unlit coals a little bit to the side of where the lit coals will be put, this way, as the coals burn they will also burn the pellets and give you lovely smoke.

I would strongly recommend getting a multiprobe thermometer so you can monitor the pit temp and the food temp. The hardest part is the temperature control. You want to find a balance of the vents whereby you can maintain your desired temp (normally about 110C - 120C) while not burning too many coals too quickly. This really comes down to practice and getting to know your BBQ but I would suggest a starting point would be to half close the vent on the chimney and have the firebox vent fully open to begin with. As the temperature begins to climb towards your target temp, gradually close the firebox vent a little at a time - giving a good 10-15 mins to see what impact the adjustment has - until you find a point where the temperature stabilises. It can be tricky and annoying, and can be impacted by how well sealed the joins etc of the bbq are, and even the ambient temperature etc but with practice it can normally be done.

With multifunction bbqs they can sometimes have poor air flow, and you might find that it's a struggle to get temps high enough if you start closing the vent down, in which case I'm afraid it's a case of doing your best and making sure to keep an eye on the coals to make sure there's enough burning to keep the temps up.

Hopefully this gives you a bit of an idea of what to do, I've written it pretty hastily but hopefully it's helpful.

For more info, look up offset smoking, minion method, vent control there's loads of info out there and plenty of people who can help. :)
Wow, thanks so much for the info! I really appreciate that :D I'll get the BBQ out over the weekend and send a pic and see what it actually is and maybe you can advise further.

Meat wise, what qould you say to start off with? Is supermarket joints/meats etc OK? Don't want to pay a fortune on meats and then ruin them to begin with, and if the BBQ is no good, do you a reccomend a cheap/beginner smoker I could start with before maybe getting something a bit better in the future.

Soldato
Wow, thanks so much for the info! I really appreciate that :D I'll get the BBQ out over the weekend and send a pic and see what it actually is and maybe you can advise further.

Meat wise, what qould you say to start off with? Is supermarket joints/meats etc OK? Don't want to pay a fortune on meats and then ruin them to begin with, and if the BBQ is no good, do you a reccomend a cheap/beginner smoker I could start with before maybe getting something a bit better in the future.
No worries, like I said, it's a little hastily written and I'm sure there's more helpful resources out there but hopefully it's helpful.

Personally I would just grab a supermarket pork shoulder (try to get a decent sized one that hopefully hasn't been torn to pieces when being deboned....sometimes they make a right mess of them) as you say, no point spending a fortune on meat when you're learning. I'd even possibly suggest getting yourself a cheap whole chicken as an alternative while you're getting a feel for the temperature control. I've had some amazing pulled pork that I've made from cheap supermarket joints. I just trim the fat off the outside as best I can, then a simple rub of brown sugar, salt, pepper and garlic powder and it's fab.
I've not got a huge amount of experience with offset smokers, though my brother had a very simple cheap and cheerful one for a couple of years and while it was a struggle to get it to keep temp well, he still managed to cook some incredible meat on it so fingers crossed yours will do the job nicely, even if it has it's foibles to deal with.

I do most of my smoking either in a cheap Callow Bullet smoker: https://www.gardengiftshop.co.uk/bbq-smokers/premium-charcoal-bbq-smoker-grill (was about £90 when I got mine)

Or I use a really cheap kettle from Wilko's or somewhere which is knackered and a bit rusty but actually works really well, I picked that one up second had for £5!!

Back
Top Bottom