***Official DC Universe Online Thread***

Soldato
Need some help guys.

I've started playing this since it gone to F2P, and everything was fine. I was about to buy the Fight for Light DLC 2 days ago (still not bought it yet), but before I could access the marketplace, I discover I have a problem of when I'm in game, every for 10 seconds or so, everything and everyone on my screen will stop moving (freeze) for around 20 secs, and after that, everyone else seem to move/disappear in lightning speed, and then things seem to be back to normal pace...but then another 10 seconds, same thing happens again.

At the moment I'm suspecting the 12.08.2011 Server Hotfix screwed up something for me, but it doesn't seem to be affecting other players. I check my hardware by running other games, and they all run absolutely fine. I even trying running the game on two separate steams that are on two different physical HDD, and even have tried the game client directly from the official site, all got the same problem! Haven't been able to play the game now for 3 days due to this problem. I have even updated my graphic driver, which turns out (as I suspected) has nothing to do with the problem.

So what do you guys think is the issue that I'm getting? At the moment I'm only short off reinstalling Windows- which I would prefer not have to do if possible.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just a stab in the dark here, but I would try running tests on your internet connection. Sounds like you might be having issues with that than the game itself. Do some ping tests and such. Are you on the US server? I will say that I have had problems almost similar to yours but I think it might down to the fact I am on the US server even tho I am in the UK. But it's nowhere near as bad as what you've mentioned.

As you say it is happening on both instance of the game so that can be my only conclusion.

Soldato
Just a stab in the dark here, but I would try running tests on your internet connection. Sounds like you might be having issues with that than the game itself. Do some ping tests and such. Are you on the US server? I will say that I have had problems almost similar to yours but I think it might down to the fact I am on the US server even tho I am in the UK. But it's nowhere near as bad as what you've mentioned.
I have been playing this for over a month I think, and never had the current problem I'm having. While it may seem like a lag problem, isn't the way when lag occuur I would still be able to to move my own character (well, at least on my screen) while people won't move or will dissappear? The thing is when I freeze, literally every does and my own character included...I move my mouse and the screen stucked and I can't even look around :(

Soldato
OP
Didn't think anyone else was still looking at this lol.

New DLC and GU10 are due out soon. Think we're expecting GU10 tomorrow. And new DLC which has the new Earth (tank) power set and 2 new raids, plus new T4 (tier 4) armour should be out hopefully early March. So lots to look forward to.

Remember, if you are a Free2Player, you can purchase a DLC pack and it will instantly make you Premium permanently.

If you want to hear more and see the new armour for the new DLC, just hit up the DCUO channel on YouTube. There's also news of a new PVP structure coming out in DLC4. But that won't be until at least June time. But still exciting times ahead :D

Soldato
OP
So it looks like SOE are going to screw their EU based players now. They've made a partnership deal with some German based games publisher (can't remember the name and hell, I have never heard of them before, but it's ProSabien something). As they are based in EU, it means all and every player across 8 of SOE's big MMO games (including DCUO) will no longer have access to the US servers. Also, this potentially means they will lose all characters they created on US servers when creating a new account with this ProSabienwhoevertheyare.

Anyway, since I am at work and didn't get chance to post this last night (as was still in shock about the news), just head on over to the DCUO Forums and read more there.

Incidentally, if you play Everquest II, you are exempt from the change over as you can still play on the US servers if you are based in the EU. But those of us on DCUO, yeah, we're screwed.

Soldato
OP
Ok folks, it is almost that time. The new DLC pack will be released tomorrow (Tues 13th March 2012). What does this include?

New Powerset: Earth for Tanks (this could well be a huge game changer, so we'll see)
New raids: The Battle For Earth which takes players to the mysterious land of Themyscira. Home of Wonder Woman. Brainiac's last stand against Earth takes place here.
We also have battles taking place in the bottled parts of Gotham City. Yes at long last we will actually get to see what Brainiac and his forces have been upto since bottling those places.
With new raids means new gear and there will be new Tier 4 gear available from completing raids and earning Marks Of Wonder.

Remember, if you are a Free to Play player, you can purchase the DLC for around £10 and this will give you instant Premium status forever. If you are Legendary, you get the DLC for free.

Good hunting and people and here's to the new Earth powerset. I can see many players becoming tanks. That should make things interesting.

In terms of The Battle For Earth storyline, what does this mean for future raids and such? Well, we've been told by the devs that what is coming next involves both Future Batman and Future Lex Luthor. All I can say is, bring it on :D

To get more info, visit the DCUO website and check the forums and screenshots :)

Soldato
Been tempted to download this again as its been a long time since i played but before i potentially waste my time a few quesitons:

Is PvE at all challenging yet? I stopped playing pretty much as they released the 2nd Batcave place with the many beams on the last boss, which was basically ... looks pretty, isnt hard. Something that required coordination and skill was very much required when i packed it in.

Is the itemisation sorted yet? I think i was very very slowly managing to get my point across to other high-end raiders that precision was essentially the only stat you needed to to the most dps, bit of health never hurt but a few points in precision was worth a whole load of most others. Was kinda sad to see the greens i had contributing more to my dps than some of the tier items.

Any interesting pvp arenas? Hold the point was ok but ctf just turned in to a fight in the middle then camp the other teams spawn point.

Lastly, anything been done to lessen the pure grinding required to stay in the top X% of players? When "do 500 duo's" becomes your next quickest/easiest achievement to get more points its a little disheartening :\

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Been tempted to download this again as its been a long time since i played but before i potentially waste my time a few quesitons:

Is PvE at all challenging yet? I stopped playing pretty much as they released the 2nd Batcave place with the many beams on the last boss, which was basically ... looks pretty, isnt hard. Something that required coordination and skill was very much required when i packed it in.

Is the itemisation sorted yet? I think i was very very slowly managing to get my point across to other high-end raiders that precision was essentially the only stat you needed to to the most dps, bit of health never hurt but a few points in precision was worth a whole load of most others. Was kinda sad to see the greens i had contributing more to my dps than some of the tier items.

Any interesting pvp arenas? Hold the point was ok but ctf just turned in to a fight in the middle then camp the other teams spawn point.

Lastly, anything been done to lessen the pure grinding required to stay in the top X% of players? When "do 500 duo's" becomes your next quickest/easiest achievement to get more points its a little disheartening :\

Thanks

Good lord, dude where do I start? Lol.

The game is now free to play first and formost. So expect to see a lot of new players running around. They released a new update a couple of months back where you can now craft modifications to give you that extra edge on your gear. This has helped a lot of people in terms raising their combat rating for raids and such (others just abuse it for the sake of it, but there you go).

PVP has changed a fair bit. They have something big planned for the next DLC (probably out in June) for PVP so will be looking out for that. I wouldn't worry about people ganking you at the doors, cos you can get your own back and return the favour :D

PVE is a lot more challenging since the new Fortress Of Solitude and now Themyiscira raids have been added. Plus the new Flash DLC has made things interesting. So yeah it is challenging. New alerts, duos and raids. You have no idea what you've missed out on dude.

So many things have changed, I can only suggest looking back at past posts I and others have made regarding new content and look at the DCUO forum for more extensive changes. There's only so much I can tell you. But we now have 3 new powersets: Light (controller), Electric (healer) and Earth (tank) which just came out last night.

And regarding the PVE, if you thought the Inner Sanctum raid for Batcave wasn't "hard", just wait for the 2nd Fortress Of Solitude raid. It makes the Inner Sanctum look like a walk in the park.

Feat wise, no one is forcing you to do the "500 duos" and such. It is up to you how you manage your feats and skill points. It's not about getting the highest amount of skill points and feats in the quickest time possible. I have 4 characters on the game and 64 skill points is the highest I have on one of them. The lowest is currently at 41. So quite varied. but again, as long as you know where to spec for your character, then all is good.

Also lots and lots of new gear are now available. So get back in the game. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
New gear doesnt mean its had any thought process put in to developing the gear that people should aim for ;)

Just watched a video for the fortress of solitude, 20mins raids still :( saw a dps race on some mini scorpions and some dudes throwing some crystals. Theres so much potential for fun and challenging fights but im yet to see one.

Unfortunately with respect to the feats, someone who has done more of the feats will without a doubt deal more damage/heal more/tank more purely because they get extra %'s. Might give it all another 6 months and see if its got something going for it then :\

Soldato
OP
New gear doesnt mean its had any thought process put in to developing the gear that people should aim for ;)

Just watched a video for the fortress of solitude, 20mins raids still :( saw a dps race on some mini scorpions and some dudes throwing some crystals. Theres so much potential for fun and challenging fights but im yet to see one.

Unfortunately with respect to the feats, someone who has done more of the feats will without a doubt deal more damage/heal more/tank more purely because they get extra %'s. Might give it all another 6 months and see if its got something going for it then :\

I think the Fortress raid you were watching was the 3rd one, which is where you fight, Non, Ursa and General Zod. The time feat for that is 30mins. Quickest time I have done it with a group was 9mins 30secs :D Epic stuff. But the two before that one are epic. Especially the 2nd one. Put it this way, the time feat for that is 45mins. The quickest I have done it in with a group is 65mins.

As for gear, you can't really say that if you haven't been in the game for a long time. I am telling you now, with the new crafting they brought in, it is making people work that little bit extra to give them that edge in raids and such.

As for the feats/skill points, again, it's all about how you spend those points. If you're a DPS, you spend them in the trees that give might. Tank, you spend them in the trees that give dominance and defense. Controllers = dominance and vitalization and healers spend in restoration. Then you move into the critical attack chance/damage for DPS and critical healing chance/magnitude for healers. There really is nothing to it. Not everything in this game is a grind, which is what many people are forgetting. DCUO is not WoW. It can be played casually or you can be hardcore about it. Over a year I have been playing and even I don't have high feats or high skill points. I play to enjoy, to raid and just have fun and what not.

I remmeber when this first came out a reviewer said he found the controls not quite suited to keyboard and mouse, is it still the same or ?

As if. I use Kb and mouse and I love it. Wouldn't have it any other way. It's all personal preference.

Associate
Just recently stumbled upon this very fun looking MMO and I'm thinking of playing it! But I have some very obvious questions that nearly everyone asks... What's the population like on the servers, is the game still going strong? Is the community nice and decent? Are the controls different than other MMO's like WoW or LotRO?

Also, can you play on US servers if you're in the UK? I think you tend to find that they have more people on.

I really love comics and comic based films, so this game looks like a fun blast. Is it worth it though? :p

Soldato
OP
Just recently stumbled upon this very fun looking MMO and I'm thinking of playing it! But I have some very obvious questions that nearly everyone asks... What's the population like on the servers, is the game still going strong? Is the community nice and decent? Are the controls different than other MMO's like WoW or LotRO?

Also, can you play on US servers if you're in the UK? I think you tend to find that they have more people on.

I really love comics and comic based films, so this game looks like a fun blast. Is it worth it though? :p

The beauty of this game is its combat system. That's pretty much what has sold a lot of people from the likes of WoW and LotRO.

Community is still strong and has been since the game went free to play back in November. Servers are always busy. You can play in the US servers if you are in the UK (which is what I do). And yes it is worth it. Especially with it being F2P. Get it, jump in and have a bash and see if it is your thing. I am sure you will like it. You can get it via Steam as well as the DCUO website itself.

As you can see, there are tons of pages regarding the game on this thread, but best to go over to the DCUO website itself, check out the forums and see what you think. :)

Lots and lots new content added almost monthly. And we are onto our 3rd DLC, with the 4th hoping to be released sometime in June. And while on the forums, check out the videos for the webcasts they've had. Even better here's the YouTube Channel :)

Last edited:
Associate
So I installed this on Steam overnight, and upon launch tonight it then trys to (via the launcher) verify files and install another 12gigs! I close it, re-open and then it's trying to install 18 gigs it seems (but says it already has done 6gigs...), anyone else had this?

Back
Top Bottom