*** Official GL.Inet Devices Thread ***

Associate
Yes, you've summarised it perfectly in your two posts above, hence my neutral tone in my previous posts, it really is the case of "you can please some of the people all the time, but not all of the people all the time" especially when the FOSS crowd are involved. I'm sure it'll work out for both sets of users given time.

I've ordered one in any case (and i'll probably be using the official 4.5.4 stable, as well as messing with OpenWRT builds.

Last edited:
Associate
Do pop back and let us know what the Power Output is when set to channel 149 in UK mode.
Save me making a mistake!
Quick and dirty setup (running the GLi.int firmware v4.5.6), it is running as an AP at the moment and I haven't fiddled apart from the minimal to get things running.

wlan1 ESSID: "GL-MT6000-8ce-5G"
Access Point: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Mode: Master Channel: 149 (5.745 GHz) HT Mode: HE80
Center Channel 1: 155 2: unknown
Tx-Power: 23 dBm Link Quality: unknown/70
Signal: unknown Noise: -92 dBm
Bit Rate: unknown
Encryption: WPA2 PSK (CCMP)
Type: nl80211 HW Mode(s): 802.11ac/ax/n
Hardware: embedded [MediaTek MT7986]
TX power offset: none
Frequency offset: none
Supports VAPs: yes PHY name: phy1

23dBM which is about 200mW-ish. Country code was originally DE before setting UK through LuCi.

EDIT - I've yet to try any of the OpenWRT snapshot builds but the process to move between GLi.net firmwares and OpenWRT stuff is simplicity itself.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm after a little info please.

We've had FTTP fitted in the last 6 months with EE 100mbps.
The upload and download speeds are max for the line but online gaming still isnt great sometimes, laggy, disconnects etc.
Im using the EE router that came with the order and it seems pretty basic with no way to prioritise gaming traffic.
The Pc i game on is plugged straight into the router, ive run some tests bufferbloat and it seems the upload latency is the problem.

Is the Flint 2 a good choice or should i look somwhere else?

Soldato
I'm after a little info please.

We've had FTTP fitted in the last 6 months with EE 100mbps.
The upload and download speeds are max for the line but online gaming still isnt great sometimes, laggy, disconnects etc.
Im using the EE router that came with the order and it seems pretty basic with no way to prioritise gaming traffic.
The Pc i game on is plugged straight into the router, ive run some tests bufferbloat and it seems the upload latency is the problem.

Is the Flint 2 a good choice or should i look somwhere else?
Gaming traffic shouldn't need prioritising and you're only doing that on your network, not your ISP's. The Flint2 runs OWRT, it has QoS options if that's what you're asking, but fibre is fibre, you should be able to get any profile OR offer on that connection eg upto 1.6Gb, not just 100mb (I was sure they offered 150Mbit?), so 100Mbit is an odd number though I haven't looked into FTTP options as it's not available anywhere I can get it, and it's only if you're saturating it while gaming that you should really notice any issue, are you sure it's not routing?

Associate
My pc is the only wired connection but there is 10 other devices on the network, phones, tv, shield etc. Yeah it looks like 150mbps is the minimum offer ee have now it was 100 a few months ago, i'll contact them and see if i can get a free/cheap upgrade but 100mbps is plenty for gaming with someone else streaming. Why is my upload latency so high do you think? i just assumed its because of the crappy ee router. The test was run several times and without any other device using the network.

Soldato
QoS will likley fix your issue, but it shouldn't ‘need’ fixing unless you are saturating the connection, which it doesn't sound like you would be normally.

Associate
Ordered a flint 2, is there a decent guide anywhere in how to set it up on a open wrt snapshot or is it pretty standard and am I right in thinking I can run it alongside the OEM version and just swap between?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ordered a flint 2, is there a decent guide anywhere in how to set it up on a open wrt snapshot?

Associate
Flint 2 is the first time i've used openwrt, my take on snapshots is the repo is always updating packages for newer updates, so unless you download every package you need on day one you could end up trying to download something but can't install due to a version conflict.

i wanted to try Qosify but can't install due to a kernel version mismatch, i have set up the build system and compiled all the packges but so far its working ok as is and worried about installing something i compiled myself hmm. (i did compile from the recent config.seed)

Last edited:
Associate
Not for everyone, but a bleeding edge version which is updated pretty much in real time (includes LuCI and other quality of life things):

NB. Due to lack of time I've not tried this myself so caveat emptor applies.

Associate
Should I set up the GL-MT6000 to 160MZh on the DFS channel if I'm using just to stream my PC to a quest 3 using virtual desktop, it's in the same room so very close and all other WiFi is going to run through a unifi Pro AP?

Associate
Has there been any deep dives into GLinets versions of adgaurd, ddns and wireguard?
I set my new new router last night (super easy) and have turned on all of these on the default build which could quite easily be opening up my network to a 3rd party

Back
Top Bottom