*** Official GL.Inet Devices Thread ***

Soldato
OP
Has there been any deep dives into GLinets versions of adgaurd, ddns and wireguard?
I set my new new router last night (super easy) and have turned on all of these on the default build which could quite easily be opening up my network to a 3rd party

Could you please elaborate on what you mean? These are semi-commercial/open source plug-ins. I doubt very much if GL.INet would have any business if folks thought they were running back doors in them. They’re basically selling these to the paranoid. It’s one of their big selling points.

Personally I assume that everything has a back door(even/particularly Cisco) and bear in mind that EVERYTHING in the UK is inspected in some way shape or form and just keep everything patched and up-to-date and that’s about as much as you can hope for.

I’d be more inclined to think open source would be better for security than private commercial code, but if you’re not happy with GL.Inet’s applications on the Flint2 you can load anything you like.

Soldato
Useful thread! Been thinking about replacing my TP-Link Archer AX1800 with something that has a bit more customisation and security features available. On a 500MB fibre connection with Aquiss and I would like to have the potential to run a 900MB connection through the router and not lose anything. I also read

I work from home a few days a week and sometimes get broadband outages. It's much better since moving to Aquiss from VM but I have thought about having the capability to use a 4/5G SIM should the broadband go down. I had originally thought about having a second router that can take a SIM card and then powering this up when the broadband outage hits and power down my main router. However it seems more sensible to have a single router that can connect to 4/5G with some kind of USB dongle or even my phone tethered to the router than having a two router system, especially if there isn't a big chance I'd need the 4/5G capable router very often.

Would the GL-MT6000 (Flint 2) be a good choice or is there something more suitable for a better price? The GL-MT6000(Flint 2) is available for £120. I got the TP-Link for £70 in October 2021 so the GL-MT6000 (Flint 2) wouldn't be too expensive an upgrade for more functions and better security. I've also seen the thread in Windows forum about someone getting accounts compromised and found this post (https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...access-to-accounts-etc.18987672/post-37107789) about blocking connections from Middle Eastern countries, Russia, China, India, Pakistan etc which I think is an excellent idea. I can't see how to do this with my TP-Link hence thinking about replacing it with the GL-MT6000 (Flint 2). Long term I will probably get some Unifi APs to cover my house better so the Wifi on the GL-MT6000 (Flint 2) doesn't have to be perfect, but if it were noticeably better than the TP-Link I have right now then that's a bonus.

Soldato
OP
Useful thread! Been thinking about replacing my TP-Link Archer AX1800 with something that has a bit more customisation and security features available. On a 500MB fibre connection with Aquiss and I would like to have the potential to run a 900MB connection through the router and not lose anything. I also read

I work from home a few days a week and sometimes get broadband outages. It's much better since moving to Aquiss from VM but I have thought about having the capability to use a 4/5G SIM should the broadband go down. I had originally thought about having a second router that can take a SIM card and then powering this up when the broadband outage hits and power down my main router. However it seems more sensible to have a single router that can connect to 4/5G with some kind of USB dongle or even my phone tethered to the router than having a two router system, especially if there isn't a big chance I'd need the 4/5G capable router very often.

Would the GL-MT6000 (Flint 2) be a good choice or is there something more suitable for a better price? The GL-MT6000(Flint 2) is available for £120. I got the TP-Link for £70 in October 2021 so the GL-MT6000 (Flint 2) wouldn't be too expensive an upgrade for more functions and better security. I've also seen the thread in Windows forum about someone getting accounts compromised and found this post (https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...access-to-accounts-etc.18987672/post-37107789) about blocking connections from Middle Eastern countries, Russia, China, India, Pakistan etc which I think is an excellent idea. I can't see how to do this with my TP-Link hence thinking about replacing it with the GL-MT6000 (Flint 2). Long term I will probably get some Unifi APs to cover my house better so the Wifi on the GL-MT6000 (Flint 2) doesn't have to be perfect, but if it were noticeably better than the TP-Link I have right now then that's a bonus.

The WiFi will be the same at best. WiFi is WiFi is WiFi and you can’t defeat physics. The WiFi package is supplied by a chipset vendor (in this case MediaTek) and they will specify the antenna design etc.

If you’re going UniFi anyway, you might be better off just skipping this step and getting a UniFi router. They used to be very average but recently they’re really picking up the pace on development and they’re pretty much where they need to be in the marketplace these days.

Soldato
If you’re going UniFi anyway, you might be better off just skipping this step and getting a UniFi router. They used to be very average but recently they’re really picking up the pace on development and they’re pretty much where they need to be in the marketplace these days.
I'd rather keep my Wifi system as a contained system independent of my router so I can change router without having to stay in the UniFi family. I was thinking about getting some UniFi APs and then a cloud key and linking that to my router. I might change my mind and use someone else's APs so wouldn't want to say 100% I'll be using UniFi therefore I will get a UniFi router. Unless of course a suitable UniFi router is not that expensive and allows me to control a UniFi Wifi network and lets me block IPs like I want to from the GL-MT6000?

Back
Top Bottom