**** Official LG G4 Discussion Thread ****

Soldato
The last thread was mostly just full of people asking for stars in the title so...

***** Uber Official Stars in the title discussion thread for the upcoming LG G4! *****

Some specs have appeared on gsm
http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g4-6901.php
Unofficial preliminary specifications written across the top, but interesting nonetheless

and we even have an reported sighting in the wild from a poster on xda

xda link
http://forum.xda-developers.com/tmobile-g2/development/t-mobile-lg-g2-lg-g3-lollipop-update-t3062645

Anyone looking forward to this?

My LG G2 is still going strong but the upgrade itch is real

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I did say reported sighting. It's not definitely the real thing, and I'm actually hoping it isn't. Will just have to wait for more news.

I just want a G3 with good battery life and a few other incremental upgrades

Soldato
OP
From what I can tell the G3 was generally very well received?

Complaining about the button placement is silly, phones are things you have for years not minutes, and it takes about 10 minutes to get used to the power button on the back.

Interested in how you know it's going to be plastic?

Soldato
OP
I'm very excited by how the battery life could turn out, given the lower speed processor and the touted screen efficiency. And the battery being replaceable, this could be great

Soldato
OP
I have to say I'm still a undecided about the way it looks, that LG logo on the front really takes away from the design for me.

Huh, I just took my G2 out of my pocket to see whether or not that had an LG logo on the front, and it does. I've had it for almost 2 years and never noticed it. And I'll probably never notice it again after 5 minutes from now.

Different tastes I know, but still

Soldato
OP
Fair enough, maybe I'm just too used to my plain Nexus 4, I'm sure I'd forget about it as well in that case.

How have you found the G2 if you don't mind me asking? Anything that's stood out with it over time? Are LG update times or custom roms worth mentioning? I haven't kept up with what's been going on with other phones during the last few years but LG did impress me with the N4, if there's nothing to report I'll happily trust them again

I've loved it for probably every reason except which it is reknowned for - battery life. Majority of people claim to get over 4.5 hours screen on time, I am lucky to get to 3 (currently on 25% with 1.5 hours SOT exactly :mad: ). This is my second handset too, after getting a warranty replacement 4 or 5 months ago and it's been the same in both. I don't know if I got dud batteries in both or what. Oh and it's not Google Play Services dominating or anything like that.

Anyway, in every other way it's been great, I love the design, size, thin bezels, screen is amazing (still), it still performs great though I've done the odd factory reset when I've noticed it start to slow a bit, which I've become accustomed to and I think is common for all smartphones tbh. I also love the rear buttons and tap to wake, very intuitive and drives me nutty the reviewers that try it for 2 hours and complain they keep pressing the camera lens or something like that - morons.

My favourite phone ever, though not exactly intense competition in my previous smartphones. - Nexus 4 and HTC Desire S

As far as updates, I think it got KK pretty swiftly, but still no Lollipop so not fantastic tbh. I haven't tried any custom ROMs as I've felt no need at all. A lot of people complain about the skin on stock, but with Nova and custom icons I'm more than happy. There is a good dev community though, CloudyROM is very popular I think.

I'm due for upgrade in October, unless the new Nexus is a return to form then I'll likely be choosing between the LG G4 and the Note 5.

Soldato
OP
Mmmm initial battery life tests are not looking great. Quite worrying.

I'm not so fussed about the camera and CPU/GPU, I think they are both more than adequate for almost all users

Soldato
OP
the stats speak for themselves

No, no they don't.

For instance, is it pre-release software still, which is known to often give worse scores.

What is the screen brightness used for the tests?

With all these things, the stats absoluuutely never speak for themselves! Otherwise you may as well say 'this phone has biggest battery in mAh, so therefore will be the best'.

Soldato
OP
Thinking about it, I'm more worried about the fact that the battery is replaceable rather than having great performance.

On my current G2, according to all the tests and anecdotal reviews it has amazing battery life, but mine is awful - not due to wakelocks either. If I could swap it out for a new battery I'd be over the moon, but I can't.

I firmly believe batteries degrade over time, some much more so than others. So I'm not going to get too worried about battery life only being on par or slightly worse than the S6, so long as it's removable.

Soldato
OP
I spent about an hour last night fiddling with settings and such while music and multiple apps were running in the background. Battery went down to 92. That would make it roughly ten hours of intense use, perhaps less depending on my time estimation. Maybe my expectations are high, but time will tell.

Your expectations are higher than 10 hours screen time? And you came from an S4? I don't really understand this. To me an hours intense use using 8% sounds perfectly good.

I've also had some annoyances with some of the apps like email and alarm, staples of my daily use. Alarm doesn't allow for vibration only and the email app is just too fiddly, I can't easily select and mark all emails as read. I guess in these two cases, I'd have to download more superior third party apps. But this was never required on the S4, whose default apps (bar a few like the browser) were good enough.

Timely is a fantastic clock widget/alarm clock/timer app, and allows you to set a silent but vibrating alarm - definitely get it.
There must be an email app that can select all and mark as read, seems a strange thing to hold against the phone.

Oh and I did mention the lack of a proper menu button before, turns out that the right button must be held down to access the menu in most apps. Of course, some apps like the built in email don't really need it.

Unless I'm mistaken, android has been building away from this menu button for a long time, and all apps have a 'soft' menu button. Should be second nature after no more than a week.

Back
Top Bottom