*** Official Nioh (PS4) Thread ***

Caporegime

So Im hoping this is back to greatness for Team Ninja - hard to see if this is their next-gen Ninja Gaiden or their take on Samurai Dark Souls (come on FROM bring back Tenchu FFS) - but no worries theres an alpha out from the 26th and runs until the 5th

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/04/04/nioh-launching-2016-on-ps4-demo-out-this-month/

Make sure to play it as:
We will give gamers a taste of this all-new experience in the Alpha Demo releasing this month. But it will only be available for a limited time so play it while you can! Players who manage to clear a stage of this the Alpha Demo will be able to download The Mark of the Conqueror DLC. This will entitle you to some special DLC in the full game.
And for anyone who likes swords - dont forget about Ubisofts For Honor which should be coming out this year too

EDIT: Feedback form: http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/form/nioh_uk

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Yep its Samurai Souls - damn with a frame rate to match. Loving it but man stamina just dies way too quickly when against more than 2 opponents. Dont like the camera when you are trying to run away!

Soldato
I am finding this game to hard when fighting multiple opponents, you can go to game mode settings to the title screen and change it to action mode which should give you better FPS at the cost of resolution.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Yeah will fiddle with that - only got to the first village myself - putting everything into Stamina. Seems to have a decent move system (with unlock branches to boot) though only really bothered with the katana and the middle stance...

Lots of things for them to balance out really, but liked what Ive played a lot...

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks pretty good. Anyone else think the guy at the start of the vid looks like Geralt of Rivia? :p

Is it anything like Tenchu to play? I love Tenchu games :)

Anyone remember Bushido Blade on PS1?

Caporegime
OP
Damn only just about getting up to the building with 5 enemies surrounding it with one sitting down - can lure one away but against the 4 Im toast, just really hard to get enough distance away to pop a flask. Seems more luck than judgement to get through all that.

The axe is pretty damn good, love the katanas but need to really invest in new moves I think...

Dont ignore putting one point into Spirit as it adds a decent amount to your Ki

Caporegime
OP
Oh my this game is good, it seems to be a faster Souls game but has a few things it hasnt just duplicated - just got my head around the stances (especially Ki replenish) and it adds a fair bit to the game. Move unlocks Ive dabbled with but other than sucking at parry I havent found anything overpowered yet (the kick is damn useful to help kill an enemies Ki bar though)

Avoid high stance unless you know what you are doing while low stance is a good get out of jail card to keep as a default in case you have to hit and run. All the weapons are pretty balanced (guess theres only 3 melee types)...

Low stance axe is mighty! Not even got a chance to try ranged weapons or magic (not got that far still - just past the fork)

If they can get it to solid 1080p/60fps with even these type of graphics Ill be preordering it - enjoyed it as much as BBs alpha when I played that...

P.S. Stones are your friends

Last edited:
Soldato
Downloaded it but haven't managed to give it a go. Sounds good though from what you're saying so I'll give the demo 45 mins at some point this week or over the weekend but I tend not to need to play much to know if i'll buy it.

If it's Souls-like, but has it's own unique identity and systems i'm all in.
:cool:

Soldato
My body is ready :D

Give us Dark Souls with better combat! As great as the Souls series is - and it is great - the combat is only decent. Perfectly serviceable and not an issue, but there's massive room for improvement.

Caporegime
OP
Im not sure if the combat is actually as good, its got some depth from the little Ive tried and there seems to be some nice stance mechanics (man I want to get good so I can change weapon and stance mid fight - low stance axe is great for destroying an enemies Ki while I prefer the speed of the katana to maximise damage while they are vulnerable or say high stance spear to sweep away multiple enemies). Getting an instant kill with its little cut scene is nice - I do wish the graphics were clearer at times with more accurate dismemberment...

BTW use heavy attack to stab enemies while they are floored...

Honestly Souls seems to have fairer combat while this is damn brutal purely because you will pretty much die with at most 3 hits - at the start of the game you are a one hit kill. Early on more than 2 attackers is just unfair as you cant run away from them (their walk speed is faster than yours) and they dont reset - just try to avoid fighting in tight spaces as the camera will **** you over.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm really impressed with this considering its an alpha etc. A lot better that Dark Souls imo (if I was to compare them). No idea when it's out but one to add to my get list.

Caporegime
OP
Damn this game is so good - only got to the second shrine (keep getting distracted by killing revenants which is either easy or stupid hard).

Started opening up all the skills I could and its just beautiful how well this game works - its like Souls and Gaiden had a baby. Need to muck around with Ninjistu/Magic as well as the Spirit stuff.

I tend to stick to middle stance to attack (the Ki refresh while blocking and moving is very useful) then Ki refresh into low stance (katana has some nice low stance moves and the free Ki dash is useful if you dont kill them in one attack combo). Ive ignored the high stance just because it leaves you so open...

Still feels like I havent got my head around a lot of the mechanics - hell Ive only just got the bow...

The alpha/demo might just be a contender for my GOTY

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
So this ends tomorrow - unsure what time - so its your last chance to give this a go :p

I'm halfway through the burning village (after 3rd demon) and having a good idea of the combat just makes this more like Gaiden than Souls. It's all about managing your Ki and stance changing to get Ki replenish mid-combo...

Hopefully have time to finish this area - I'm aware the demo has a second with even harder enemies!

Stuffs put together well - armour matters; if an enemy has a helmet a headshot arrow won't do any damage but knock their helmet off. Still not played around with magic much though it seems to be buffs mainly...

Durability kinda sucks but drops are plentiful, just manage your inventory as it will eventually get full. Still using katanas purely because of aesthetics. People may not like the lock on mechanic but you get used to it - just avoid turning your back by either back stepping or blocking with autofaces you...

Definitely worth trying the demo and trying to get past the Souls initial hump - it plays very differently and probably an extrapolation of what Bloodborne tried.

Caporegime
OP
27zg9dj.jpg

Better not be tat! :D. Wow that image is crap...

Caporegime
OP
So for the people that missed playing this. Theres a whole lot of R1/stance changes to Ki replenish - he uses the low stance a lot as its (first) dodge (after combo) has Ki replenish inbuilt

https://youtu.be/HPmUPfN33a8?t=1m35s

Ive timestamped it as the first 90secs shows the first boss fight without being hit and zero armour to max speed/agility (not sure if it needs spoilers tbh). I wish I could beat him like he did - thats some insane Ki management and dodging - when you know what you are doing this game is more like Gaiden than Souls...

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Might aswell make it a triple post :p

Just killed the second boss which was pretty damn easy tbh (5th go I think after the first 2 where I was OHKed) once you learnt his mechanics - didnt even change up during the whole fight. Low stance spear was the key...

Really surprised to get that second area cleared before the demo ended - it was a fair bit shorter with only 2 shrines and not much need of shortcuts. Some nice new enemies to fight against the highlights being ninjas and some tough cyclops shapeshifters - demons all over the place too!

Cant wait to play the full game, hopefully theyll do a beta :)

Caporegime
OP
OVERALL

• Add tutorials regarding the game system.
• Adjust balance mainly in the opening sections to make battles fairer.
• Improve controls and camera system.
• Improve the understandability and usability of the UI.
• Improve graphic performance

DETAILS

Tutorials
• Implement a training stage for tutorials on basic controls and core game actions.

Action & Controls
• Improve player & camera behavior during lock-on.
• Change the conditions under which the player character becomes unresponsive when the Ki Gauge is empty.
• Expand item shortcut slots.
• Revise the objects which require holding a button and the response to the hold input.
• Improve detection for the half-circle analog stick input.

Enemies
• Adjust attack and defense parameters of enemies.
• Revise enemy pursuit of the player.
• Revise superarmor (stagger/no stagger) for each enemy and attack.
• Adjust Revenant AI.

Level Design/Stages
• Improve exploration elements such as shortcuts, etc.
• Add hints to guide players to boss areas.
• Revise the display of objects that block the view of the player character.
• Adjust fire area damage.

UI
• Improve layout and displayed information.
• Adjust text size.
• When making an offering at a shrine, allow the player to perform all actions at once.

• Improve online synchronization.
• Allow the host to use the Shrine menu during co-op play with a Visitor.
• Adjust the rate at which enemy parameters increase during co-op play.

Other
• Remove durability stat for weapons and armor.
• Adjust the drop rate for equipment.
• Add a new control type.
• Implement a flow to allow players to exit a mission.
• Fix other bugs.
Looks like a decent list of improvements - main surprise is removing durability and a change to stagger when stamina hits 0

http://teamninja-studio.com/nioh/uk/demo.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom