*** Official October 18th Apple Event (18:00 BST) ***

Soldato
Tempted but I want to see some independent benchmarks first and try out the 14" model in store! Judging by the the pricing Apple must be very confident in the performance of the M1 Pro/Max!

fez

fez

Caporegime
Tempted but I want to see some independent benchmarks first and try out the 14" model in store! Judging by the the pricing Apple must be very confident in the performance of the M1 Pro/Max!

The M1 in the 13" is an absolute monster so I don't think there is any doubt about how these will perform. I replaced a 16" pretty decent spec MBP with a 13" M1 and it performs better in 99% of what I do. These will blow intel based laptops out of the water and have basically brought back everything that people wanted them to. Can't wait for mine to arrive. Fingers crossed it will be early!

Don

Well, considering that the M1 13" models are very, very fast with 8 CPU cores (4 x perf + 4 x efficient) and 8 GPU cores, a 14" with 10 cores (8 x perf + 2 x efficient) and 16 GPU cores is going to be very, very, very, very fast.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
The gen 3 AirPods look solid, I was never a fan of the pros, never felt comfortable. I'm going to behave myself and wait until Xmas as my wife will kill me if I keep buying stuff and then saying I don't need anything for Xmas.

Soldato
Apple needs to take it more seriously too, incentivising game developers to do AAA games for mac, or hell, make a game console with these chips and buy/bribe a few studios to make AAA games. It's been my long-standing prediction that Apple will release a game console, i.e. put one of these big GPU chips inside an Apple TV/Mac Mini chassis with a game controller and call it a game console. The CPU is already faster than consoles, and GPU is getting there too.

Aye but people won't pay 3000 for a games console. Apple have a margin average of about $300 or more on everything they sell averaged across the range, so consoles at that price simply won't appeal.

Soldato
Aye but people won't pay 3000 for a games console. Apple have a margin average of about $300 or more on everything they sell averaged across the range, so consoles at that price simply won't appeal.

Apple's margins are in percentages, usually across the whole product line, e.g. 35-40% for Macbooks, and they price different configs for the net margins based on expected demands. This is consistent across all their product lines.

They sell many products that don't have a $300 margin (iPads, Apple TVs, iPods, AirPods, etc). If they want to release a console, they make it a $500 one that costs them $300 to make, not a $3000 one that costs them $2700 to make. They already make an Apple TV for $200. Upgrade the chip, add more storage and that's a game console.

Back
Top Bottom