*** Official October 18th Apple Event (18:00 BST) ***

Soldato
I can see that happening, but that would just be the equivalent of the last year iphone model becoming their new cheaper option, and Im all for that!

except I’d fully expect them to take on higher price points not the same ones. The current intel 13”MBP starts at £1800

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Not a chance. It's Apple :D I'm expecting the 14" to start at $1999 and 16" to start at $2499, so their £ price will be a bit lower. And that's ignoring overpriced SSD/Ram upgrades.

From what I understand, their plan was to release these mid year, but they were postponed due to supply chain issues. Designing a new SoC is not easy, they can't just swap M1 for M2, it's quite likely that we'll see these with M1X or whatever else they're calling them, i.e. A14-based CPU/GPU uarch rather than A15. Which is a shame as A15 was a big improvement in CPU efficiency and GPU performance. We'll see in a few days.

Agree regarding iMac/Mac Pro, zero controlled leaks or rumours. Those aren't coming this year.

Ah yes I seem to have completely forgotten that they're still selling the intel macbook pro's starting at 1800...! Maybe these ones are going to be pricey indeed, unfortunately :(

I suppose that does make sense actually, maybe it will be a M1X, but just been delayed. I hope in the coming years though, they sort out the naming scheme and stuff properly because if they release stuff year on year like the phone chips, its going to be confusing.

Also does that mean the M2 products are going to be coming out in what... 6-9 months?

except I’d fully expect them to take on higher price points not the same ones. The current intel 13”MBP starts at £1800

Yeah i completely forgot the intel variants were still being sold at a dumb price, my bad.

Soldato
Ah yes I seem to have completely forgotten that they're still selling the intel macbook pro's starting at 1800...! Maybe these ones are going to be pricey indeed, unfortunately :(

I suppose that does make sense actually, maybe it will be a M1X, but just been delayed. I hope in the coming years though, they sort out the naming scheme and stuff properly because if they release stuff year on year like the phone chips, its going to be confusing.

Also does that mean the M2 products are going to be coming out in what... 6-9 months?

Yeah i completely forgot the intel variants were still being sold at a dumb price, my bad.

I think next spring or summer we'll see M2-based products, e.g. Macbook Air or Mac Mini, but no M2X products. And next winter we'll see M3X-based Macbook Pros, iMacs and Mac Pros. i.e. there won't be a M2X at all, just like there wasn't A11X or A13X. We only had A10X, A12X/Z and A14X (aka M1). I expect macs to be refreshed every 18-24 months, just like iPad Pros.

Soldato
Speculation aside, given the supposed chip shortage along with current supply issues the vast majority will be lucky to see any sort of upgrade/refresh this side of Christmas :(.
Most iPhone models are back ordered towards end of November.

Soldato
Speculation aside, given the supposed chip shortage along with current supply issues the vast majority will be lucky to see any sort of upgrade/refresh this side of Christmas :(.
Most iPhone models are back ordered towards end of November.

Yeah. Simple fact that we've not yet seen leaked pictures of PCBs or chassis, etc means they've not begun full scale production yet. Maybe we'll get a November release date, but supplies won't be enough to meet all the demand anytime soon.

Soldato
I wonder if they’ll make a 30 inch iMac in the same footprint or make it smaller with a 27 inch display.

It certainly makes sense - for a lot of people 30-32 is the sweet spot now (the new 27). If they want to go 16:10 then yeah 30 would be bang on. 31.5 inch would be likely if going 16:9.

There were some rumours a few months ago that it will be 32-inch 6K, similar in size and resolution to the Pro Display XDR, but obviously without the fancy tech that the Pro display has.

Soldato
To say I’m excited for this would be an understatement, been waiting for this refresh for about 18 months since my 2012 air died, been getting by switching between a slow work laptop and a keyboard for my iPad Pro.

Soldato
What are you hoping for? I don’t think a new Air is likely.

Sorry, should have been clearer, I’m after a pro. I had a gaming desktop setup that also died last year from a water spillage by my daughter so I’ve gone from the air and desktop to getting by with neither. I can’t justify replacing the two so I think a pro instead is the good option for me. I would have picked up one of the M1 pro’s last year but with a wife on maternity leave and my side hussle dying off due to the pandemic I couldn’t really squeeze for one, by the time it ticked to 2021 it made sense to just wait until the new release. I’m not one to replace every few years so I want some longevity out of it.

Back
Top Bottom