• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Official OcUK AMD Ryzen 5 review thread

Caporegime
As predicted Ryzen 5 quad core gaming performance is identical to Ryzen 7 octa core

90% the performance of the 7700K and nearly £200 cheaper, can't argue with that.

perfrel_1920_1080.png

Soldato
Interesting to see reviews that make no mention of bad Nvidia performance in certain titles with Ryzen when using DX12. Especially from reviewers than are well aware of the issue. PCPer looking at you.

Soldato
Also... seeing reviews using low res to test again, and then they bump up the res (1920) and it normalizes and most games there are actually very few differences between CPU's. I'm coming from an OC'd 7850K so I'm extremely keen to see how big the jump will be for me but getting those results is tough.

Soldato
If its just for gaming go for the 4 core. its just as fast in most things as the 6 core, in any case faster than the G3258K.

Cheers, I have decided on the following Mobo

GA-AB350-Gaming AMD B350 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Will it support 3000mhz DDR4? Ideally

Night Hawk LED 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Red Light (THRD4

? Thanks

Caporegime
Cheers, I have decided on the following Mobo

GA-AB350-Gaming AMD B350 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Will it support 3000mhz DDR4? Ideally

Night Hawk LED 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Red Light (THRD4

? Thanks

It does...

Support for DDR4 3200(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2667/2400/2133 MHz memory modules

So officially yes, some memory doesn't run at more than 2667Mhz on some boards but i would think eventually even those will as they are still fine tuning BIOS for all boards, what i would to when you get it is check to see if there is a new BIOS available.

As predicted Ryzen 5 quad core gaming performance is identical to Ryzen 7 octa core

90% the performance of the 7700K and nearly £200 cheaper, can't argue with that.

perfrel_1920_1080.png

It also shows it only just beating a 4 core i5 which costs the same?

Ignore the ryzen 5 quad core (haven't you all been saying quad core is dead?) the 1600 is where its at.

Associate
Probably a silly question but I'm struggling to find any clear info, would a B350 board be suitable to overclock a R5 1600 or is an X370 required? From what i can tell X370 is only really required for multiple GPU and more enthusiast settings?

Caporegime
Probably a silly question but I'm struggling to find any clear info, would a B350 board be suitable to overclock a R5 1600 or is an X370 required? From what i can tell X370 is only really required for multiple GPU and more enthusiast settings?

The B350 is perfectly fine for overclocking, tho like with anything some are better than others.

That pcp review is shilling for Intel.

I remember when they tested Mantle, they used a reference 290P paired with a very overclocked Intel 6 core and ran BF4 campaign mode on maximum IQ settings, with the predictable result of that they made a point of concluding that Mantle was completely pointless.

Other less commercial reviewers were showing huge performance gains with older weaker CPU's in CPU load situations, PcPer just stuck their fingers in their ears screaming LALALALA...

Ever since then my view of PcPer is that they are just shills for the highest bidder.

Associate
I don't know if i'm in the right place but here goes anyway. Got Ryzen 5 1600 on an asus prime 350B plus motherboard, its overclocked to 3.8 on water and everytime i switch on from cold, i get the overclock failed press F1 stuff, i go into bios and just do a save and exit, no alterations just save and exit and it then fires into windows no problem. If i later restart, it again goes into windows no problem. I have checked for anything untowards and nothing seems to be wrong it only seems to happen from cold, anybody got any idea WTF is going on as its really starting to bug me.

Also i dont seem to be able to get over 3.8 stable, i can run at 3.9 but after about four hours it just freezes and i have to shut down and restart, ctrl alt delete doesn't work and i have no choice but to switch the system off. Just so you know i had a be-quiet air cooler and i bought an NZXT X61 AIO in the hope of an improvement but although it runs cooler i still cant get it over 3.8 stable. If i could bump the cpu volts up i recon that would fix it, but my motherboard does that offset stuff and its at 2.000 which seems to be the max. I'm open to any suggestions or do you think i just got a friday afternoon CPU.

PS if i am posting in the wrong place could a moderator please move it to whatever is the right place.Thanks

Soldato
I don't know if i'm in the right place but here goes anyway. Got Ryzen 5 1600 on an asus prime 350B plus motherboard, its overclocked to 3.8 on water and everytime i switch on from cold, i get the overclock failed press F1 stuff, i go into bios and just do a save and exit, no alterations just save and exit and it then fires into windows no problem. If i later restart, it again goes into windows no problem. I have checked for anything untowards and nothing seems to be wrong it only seems to happen from cold, anybody got any idea WTF is going on as its really starting to bug me.

Also i dont seem to be able to get over 3.8 stable, i can run at 3.9 but after about four hours it just freezes and i have to shut down and restart, ctrl alt delete doesn't work and i have no choice but to switch the system off. Just so you know i had a be-quiet air cooler and i bought an NZXT X61 AIO in the hope of an improvement but although it runs cooler i still cant get it over 3.8 stable. If i could bump the cpu volts up i recon that would fix it, but my motherboard does that offset stuff and its at 2.000 which seems to be the max. I'm open to any suggestions or do you think i just got a friday afternoon CPU.

PS if i am posting in the wrong place could a moderator please move it to whatever is the right place.Thanks

The first is what we call the cold boot bug. If you have not already then update to the latest bios.
What is your memory speed? This affects the cold boot bug.

The second is just silicon lottery, not all chips are created equally.
I have x2 1700's and they are at 3.8 and 3.9 respectively I was hoping for the magic 4.0 but that seems to be quite rare for 24/7 use.

Of course a better motherboard may help in your case but it did not in mine.

Back
Top Bottom