• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Official OcUK RX480 4GB and 8GB review thread

Soldato
If the 970 prices didn't drop last week it would look like a good deal.

But the 490 should be somewhere close to the 1070 I expect. Might as well wait.

Last edited:
Soldato
You just love to lie don't you:rolleyes:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_1080_STRIX/24.html
1080 = 92%
980 = 53%
100.0*92/53 = 74% than the 980.

The 1080 is also 40% faster than the 980Ti (100*92/66).

Double the price nope. 980 launched at $550. the 1080 starts at $600. 600/550 9% more expensive.

If you are going to completely ignore reality then go post somewhere else where it doesn't interfere with rational debate.

Oh, so when comparing AMD cards and talk how bad they are compared to nvidia we're going to quote discounted one off last stock prices with a one off offer for cashback that you can't even claim for 30 days and will have to wait another 3months for but when talking about Nvidia cards we'll just quote US release prices?

Why don't we do an equal comparison and see that 980 is £275 and 1080 is £660-700 and also all out of stock.

980ti is £360 which is also £60 cheaper than all 1070s.

Also, that graph doesn't seem to match any other benchmarks...

Oh well, if you have a problem just put me on ignore and I will do the same.

Associate
So not so **** as the last **** card.

Too noisy, too hot, only good for 1080p gaming and of course no mention of VR or Crossfire.

Jeez even 7970's are close to it on some tests.

Only thing it has going for it is the price, but if I was in the market, I would get a 2nd hand 970.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So not so **** as the last **** card.

Too noisy, too hot, only good for 1080p gaming and of course no mention of VR or Crossfire.

Jeez even 7970's are close to it on some tests.

Only thing it has going for it is the price, but if I was in the market, I would get a 2nd hand 970.

Emm,eh just said he loved the card and gave it a Gamers Choice award.

BTW,there is no HD7970 in the review??

Thats funny - the print review from the same website also says the following:

Blimey. What a cracking little card.

If you are one of the ignorant people who just glances at the graphs for the highlighted result and treats that as the entirety of knowledge, then you'll be missing a stunning card at a seriously affordable price. No, of course it doesn't match up to the capabilities of some of the heavy hitting high-end models, but it's not remotely competing with them. It's a £200 card. Regularly beating a GTX 970 levels of performance for a couple of hundred notes. If that doesn't impress you then you need to check your jimmies for rustling.

Like any card which we apply the 'affordable' label to, there are a couple of minor caveats. Usually we say that you have to be judicious with your resolution choice and reduce your anti-aliasing to a sensible level and all will be well. With the RX480 in 8GB trim there is only one single caveat, and that's that you shouldn't really use it to power a 4K display. Otherwise you can do what you like with it. The very latest DirectX 12 titles in 1440P with maximum image quality settings? No problem for the AMD Radeon RX480.

At 1080P, probably the resolution that 90% of people who buy a GPU at this price point will be looking to game, it's an absolute stunner. We couldn't get it to sweat no matter what we threw at it. Yes you can argue that the noise and temperature levels are a little high, but this is an AMD reference cooler and they are, with the best will in the world, somewhere between average and mediocre. It doesn't really matter because once a Strix/Twin Frozr/Dual-Dissipation/Etc cooler is on it then you'll get those low temperatures and silent running but on a GPU that has proven itself to be more than capable of running the very latest, high detail, DirectX 12 games.

We are particularly glad that AMD have finally cracked the power draw nut. The latest 4th Generation GCN has fantastic power efficiency when compared to AMD cards of yore. 22W beneath the GTX970 that it so regularly beat in the performance tests. Hell it's 140W (as an entire system) below the 380X, and the performance between the two cards is night and day. If you run a 380X you could have CrossfireX RX480s for the same power draw, and be kicking down the door of some extremely high-end setups for £420 in GPU cost.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/amd_radeon_rx480_polaris_8gb_review/21

Last edited:
Associate
He seems quite positive and there is no HD7970 in the review - what have you been reading?? I think you are overspinning it yourself. Plus a secondhand GTX970 has no warranty anyway,and at that point you might as well get a secondhand R9 290 series cards if you want one with no warranty.

Check the Vantage scores in the video, such an old graph it was showing.

For £150 - £180 for a 2nd hand 970 who gives a flying about warranty. Some might, I would not. Anyway if you choose carefully on the 2nd hand market, warranty can e transferred as everyone on MM bangs on about.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah he had to put a positive spin on it with all that negativity if he wants to still receive AMD cards to review. Can't blame him.
I think in the end, there's still reasons to be happy about the improved performance/price ratio, but it doesn't stop it from ultimately being disappointing considering how long we've been waiting for a node jump, the fact that this is actually MORE than just a normal node jump and the fact that there were major architectural upgrades hyped.

Also that this was positioned as AMD's posterboy card for the new generation.

Soldato
OP
Check the Vantage scores, such an old graph it was showing.

So a DX10 benchmark - emm?? In the 3DMark11 benchmark its pegged at a GTX980 and in 3DMark its pegged at an R9 290X.

This is the GTX970 he used:

http://imagescdn.tweaktown.com/cont...mp-extreme-core-edition-video-card-review.jpg

Guru3D said it was one of the fastest pre-overclocked GTX970 cards(think out of the box it is around 1.4GHZ) and no wonder it has an extended non-reference PCB and a really great cooler. It still sells for £260+ so yeah is quite a nice card indeed.

For £150 - £180 for a 2nd hand 970 who gives a flying about warranty. Some might, I would not. Anyway if you choose carefully on the 2nd hand market, warranty can e transferred as everyone on MM bangs on about.

Like when my mate bought a secondhand GTX770 with a non-transferable warranty and when it died,he was out of pocket.

Plus by that extension I am sure a secondhand R9 290 or R9 290X is cheaper anyway.

Considering that the 4GB card is more or less the same price,not sure what this big deal about secondhand GTX970 cards is now. I saw nobody saying to buy a secondhand GTX970 over a new one 4 weeks ago?? Whatever floats your boat.

Last edited:
Soldato
Considering that the 4GB card is more or less the same price,not sure what this big deal about secondhand GTX970 cards is now. I saw nobody saying to buy a secondhand GTX970 over a new one 4 weeks ago?? Whatever floats your boat.

Its also odd from the POV the GTX970 is EOL and NV have a habit of dropping driver support for older cards quicker than a hot potato. :confused:

Soldato
OP
Its also odd from the POV the GTX970 is EOL and NV have a habit of dropping driver support for older cards quicker than a hot potato. :confused:

I should know - I had a GTX660 and have a GTX960. I got both brand new for a good price so excellent price/performance but the AMD competitors have seemed to have lasted a bit longer.

Last edited:
Associate
Like when my mate bought a secondhand GTX770 with a non-transferable warranty and when it died,he was out of pocket.

Plus by that extension I am sure a secondhand R9 290 or R9 290X is cheaper anyway.

Doesn't have to be a 2nd hand 970, any second hand card in the 480 ball park will do it. (Mate should have check warranty before buying). My 1 year old 980 is going to sell for the 480 price......

I just don't get AMD. A new card that is comparable to older generation cards that have equally fallen in price to match if not rival a 480 without all the heat or noise issues. Sorry, maybe I am missing something, but I just don't get it unless AMD are stuck in a rut which I do not want personally as we need the competition.

All this hype about VR and XFire beating a 980 and we haven't even seen any results on this yet. I do hope it is better than what we are seeing right now on the single 480's for all our sakes as AMD do not need another flop.

Last edited:
Soldato
While it is unfortunate that the RX480 is not as fast as many has hoped for and doesn't mean much for anyone who already have a 290/970 or better card, AMD has made the sub £200 sector good bang for bucks again.

The RX480 essentially increase the performance of the same tier by around 60% and 70% comparing to the 380 and 960 that was launched at similar price just last gen.

Yes it is a bummer for those of us waiting for a upgrade from 290/390 etc, but the RX480 really make good performance quality PC gaming available at affordable price for the new comers or budget crowd of PC gaming.

Soldato
I think the performance of the rx 480 is good what bugs me though is the price, atleast here in Denmark. It cost around 20% more than it should even after calculating taxes in to the price. Its insane. I actually ended up paying less per frame with my purchase of an overpriced 1070 than if i were to buy a rx 480 at the current price point.

Associate
While it is unfortunate that the RX480 is not as fast as many has hoped for and doesn't mean much for anyone who already have a 290/970 or better card, AMD has made the sub £200 sector good bang for bucks again.

The RX480 essentially increase the performance of the same tier by around 60% and 70% comparing to the 380 and 960 that was launched at similar price just last gen.

Yes it is a bummer for those of us waiting for a upgrade from 290/390 etc, but the RX480 really make good performance quality PC gaming available at affordable price for the new comers or budget crowd of PC gaming.

Ah, so for those that

have nothing
know nothing about GPU's to be confident to buy 2nd hand
or on a budget.

Ok I get it now and what AMD are up to. Makes sense and will probably work. IMHO it means AMD have given up on chasing nVidia and concentrating on the cheap end of the market. I do hope I am wrong.

Last edited:
Associate
I think the performance of the rx 480 is good what bugs me though is the price, atleast here in Denmark. It cost around 20% more than it should even after calculating taxes in to the price. Its insane. I actually ended up paying less per frame with my purchase of an overpriced 1070 than if i were to buy a rx 480 at the current price point.

Really, ouch.....

Associate
So, having read this thoroughly entertaining thread all the way from beginning to end, I have one question...

Are any of you going to buy one?

:D

Back
Top Bottom